There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Billick: "...defense will only carry 49ers so far"

Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?
[ Edited by mickey49 on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM ]
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?

Pot meet Kettle...
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?

I agree. As good as the Lions offense is, Stafford <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Brees, Brady, or Rodgers.

There were quite a few passes Willis defended that, if thrown more accurate, would have been completions.



HOWEVER, if we bring the rush, then all of them will be inaccurate.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I agree. As good as the Lions offense is, Stafford <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Brees, Brady, or Rodgers.

There were quite a few passes Willis defended that, if thrown more accurate, would have been completions.



HOWEVER, if we bring the rush, then all of them will be inaccurate.
Yah, I thought it was an interesting article coming from Billick, lol. We might look more like the Ravens West...
He's right. Our passing offense has been dreadful. The running game looks to be strong, the defense is playing lights out and the special teams have been truly awesome.

It's possible we might win the SB this year like the Bucs did in 02', with an average QB playing the role of "game manager" (brad johnson) but we I really don't see us beating the Saints or the Packers in a playoff game.

Brees or Alex? Laughable.

Rodgers or Alex? Laughable.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?

Pot meet Kettle...

Beat me too it.

This is the guy who won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.
For the most part this offense has shown thus far that it can score when needed so as long as the game is close the team will be in the game.
I'd love to play the Packers or Pats just to see where we stand as a team.
i think our defense can contain any elite qb such as rodgers and brady,
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Beat me too it.

This is the guy who won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

I thought he brought up a good point on how there weren't any really elite QBs at that time. Off the top, I guess Warner and Favre?
i believe rodgers would give us a hard time but i think our pass rush can rattle brady and keep him contained . As for brees, that would be hard to say and we probably will see them in the playoffs
Didn't his D carry them to a Super Bowl victory???


It sure as s**t wasn't his coaching or his O
I agree. But, only for this year since we are lacking the depth on defense. There's no way this defense is gonna be able to play at this level all season, we just don't have the depth to keep most of these guys fresh.


same dumb qualifiers everyone uses to describe the 49ers.

we have the #7 scoring offense. call me crazy, but i think you can win a lot of games when you score more points than the other team.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'd love to play the Packers or Pats just to see where we stand as a team.

That would be awesome. I think our front seven would rattle them enough to get them off their game. Brady can definitely be rattled as evidenced by the game last week against Dallas. And Rodgers, dont get me wrong, is probably the best in the league right now, but what defenses has he beaten this year? Nothing that really jumps out I don't think...