LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Billick: "...defense will only carry 49ers so far"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?

Pot meet Kettle...

Beat me too it.

This is the guy who won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

He addressed this point in his comments. He admitted that the Ravens could win with defense and Dilfer because there was a talent vacuum at QB across the league at that time. That's not the case right now. There are more HOF caliber QB's at the top of their games right now than any point I can recall.
Against young qb like Johnson and Stafford, we didn't have to blitz. Vet qb like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, we keep up the pressure then add some blitzes at the right time -- they all go down the same. I was looking at a couple of plays in the Patriots and Dallas late in the game. In the winning TD play of the Patriots at the goal line, Dallas rushed 2 -- that's right 2 lineman Brady had all day to find single coverage at the back of the end zone. Rob Ryan, so retarded call
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by mickey49:
Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234b8f3/article/in-the-passhappy-nfl-defense-will-carry-the-49ers-only-so-far

I tend to agree. The defense has been outstanding overall, but we haven't faced a QB the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this season. Come playoff time (no jinx), we might have to deal with a QB like that. Thoughts? Think our D can contain elite QBs like those guys?

Pot meet Kettle...

Beat me too it.

This is the guy who won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

He addressed this point in his comments. He admitted that the Ravens could win with defense and Dilfer because there was a talent vacuum at QB across the league at that time. That's not the case right now. There are more HOF caliber QB's at the top of their games right now than any point I can recall.

On top of that, the passing game in this league is way out of control. You will not win a SB anymore if your QB can't move the ball consistently.
LOL

1-0 (Defense will carry this team only so far...they'll get exposed)

2-0 (Defense will carry them only so far...they're hiding the QB)

2-1 (Defense got exposed. Season is doomed. They are who we thought they were...Romo is amazing).

3-1 (One lucky win. Defense will only carry them so far)

4-1 (QB got lucky. Bucs simply laid an egg. No biggie).

5-1 (Defense will only carry this team so far. Alex is still hiding with 8 TD, 2 INT and 3 game winning/tying drives this season).

12-4 with ring #6 (Look, defense will only carry this team so far. We'll see how their offense does in the pro bowl without their defense)

Honestly...none of these talking heads will give us any respect. All of our wins are due to other reasons and we're still only going to go "so far."

Hope the team hears this stuff and continues to prove these people wrong.
also, i love how he calls out Newton for celebrating but says its ok for Rodgers to celebrate bc he only started doing his celebrations when they were on a Super Bowl run. False. This video is from August 2010:

[ Edited by HessianDud on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM ]
Agree. It seems the offense really needs the "Improvement Week" and even though we are improving every week, this is a golden opportunity to get more offensive training in since we really didn't have time as in other years.
the defense will take us to the superbowl!
Originally posted by HessianDud:

same dumb qualifiers everyone uses to describe the 49ers.

we have the #7 scoring offense. call me crazy, but i think you can win a lot of games when you score more points than the other team.

Well remember some of those points came from special teams and the defense-at least 21 points. Plus some of the FG too because we got the ball deep in the opps territory and the O couln't move it any further. Would rather not rely on those.
It is inaccurate to imply that we rely solely on our defense. Yes, in the first three games our offense wasn't moving well due to continued growing pains with the new system, but in the last three games the 49ers offense has averaged 393 yards per game. It's just that our offense relies heavily on a strong running game, something the league is not used to with the modern pass-centric offenses. Nevertheless 393 yards per game would make our offense a top 5 offense.

Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

same dumb qualifiers everyone uses to describe the 49ers.

we have the #7 scoring offense. call me crazy, but i think you can win a lot of games when you score more points than the other team.

Well remember some of those points came from special teams and the defense-at least 21 points. Plus some of the FG too because we got the ball deep in the opps territory and the O couln't move it any further. Would rather not rely on those.

it doesn't really matter how you score the points, as long as you're scoring them.
I agree 100% with Billick. We need a whole lot more out of Alex. Defenses are going to start stacking 7-8men in the box and we are going to be stuck, We need to truly start opening up the firld and taking advantage of our plethora of weapons for an ariel attack. This is what the 49ers are known ande built for. High flying air attack with high scoring games in the 40's and 50's. No teams coming back on us because we put the game away..Plus we are waisting vast talent in Vernon Davis(Mr. All-World).
my big problem with this perspective, too, is that it seems to assume that Alex is some incredible liability, like he hasn't made any plays, like we can't complete passes. None of which is true. We don't throw a lot, sure, and we don't pile up yards, of course, but its not like we've shown that we can't throw the ball. We've been incredibly efficient throwing the ball, and right now no one can stop our running game.

Just because Brady and Rodgers are throwing for a billion yards a game doesn't mean that its the only way to win. I hate the "It's a passing league" mantra, as if winning by running the football doesn't count as much.
He (BIllick) has a point. For the most part it is true whether we like it or not. This is not to say it can't be done. Football is a game of inches at times, reaching up to tip a ball or not that may mean a TD or not.

I think the packers can be contained, it has been shown this year, but we need the O to function enough too. If they can manufacture 21 points.

This is a game of strategy, if you play them in the season, do you want to show them everything or hold something back for the playoffs. If the niners can beat all the divisional foes plus one more (cleavland) then they can use the other games to experiment or work on technique so to speak-of course that is something impossible to make happen.
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
I agree 100% with Billick. We need a whole lot more out of Alex. Defenses are going to start stacking 7-8men in the box and we are going to be stuck, We need to truly start opening up the firld and taking advantage of our plethora of weapons for an ariel attack. This is what the 49ers are known ande built for. High flying air attack with high scoring games in the 40's and 50's. No teams coming back on us because we put the game away..Plus we are waisting vast talent in Vernon Davis(Mr. All-World).

Hopefully, when we get Braylon, Crabtree, Walker, and VD all playing, Smith can get us out of the 9 men box. You know we only had Crabtree in the last game against a killer d-line of the Lions right... VD stayed in to block the d-line. And when he does get out, he get a lot of attention, usually like double team attention.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone