There are 204 users in the forums

Drops through week 6 for the Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Yea, because this thread is without bias .

What the hell is your point. This is good info.

How hard can it be for you to surmise my point? It's one sentence.

I don't know what your point is either.

Thanks OP, this is great info. Did you count the one where Alex hit Gore smack in the face from the Bengals game?

Every week just when it looks like the offense is about to break open there continues to be key drops..... the Crabtree ones particularly s**t me off! He's got such strong hands sometimes but drops the simplest of catches(not the high throws by Alex). The rest of the receivers I expect to drop a few.

time for the guys to hit the jugs
Originally posted by MaliCali:
lets not miss the fact either than the Walker drop on Sunday was an easy touchdown :(

Is it just me or does it seem as though Walker is good for a few easy TD drops a season?
Crabtree is averaging a little over 1 drop a game???
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I'm not saying there aren't legit drops in this (like the Walker drop for a TD @ Detroit) but there are so many "drops" that fall under a gray area as to who the blame really falls on.

For example, if you watched MNF, there was a slant thrown by Matt Moore to Brandon Marshall that Jaws called a drop but Gruden didn't. In my opinion, it also wasn't a drop because Matt Moore threw the ball too early and too inside so Marshall didn't have a chance to react to the ball. The moment he turned around, the ball was in his face. If you call that a drop, you aren't being realistic. The chances a WR catches that are slim to none...despite it hitting his hands.

In conclusion, like I said, there's a large gray area.

If the receiver gets his hand(s) on it and doesn't catch it, then it is a drop to me. Anything else is an errant pass or a purposeful throw away.

And that's fine...but my whole point is that it's clearly a subjective statistic.
Originally posted by 52thegreat:

Blame Smith.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Oldman:
When you finished your stats what conclusions did you draw? Do teams like Green Bay or New England's receivers drop as many as our team does? What can be done about it?

Not speaking for Oldman9er, but his link provides the answer to the question of how other teams stack up. Green bay not only has fewer drops but they have about twice as many passes; so it makes the discrepancy even greater. Would this be correct OM9er?
Originally posted by AUniner:
I don't know what your point is either.

Thanks OP, this is great info. Did you count the one where Alex hit Gore smack in the face from the Bengals game?

Yes, I did. If Alex were to have thrown it so early as to not give Gore the time to turn and spot it? I would not have counted it. But I did count it, as Gore had plenty of time to turn and look it in... he was just... so off that game.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Not speaking for Oldman9er, but his link provides the answer to the question of how other teams stack up. Green bay not only has fewer drops but they have about twice as many passes; so it makes the discrepancy even greater. Would this be correct OM9er?

As I recall, Rodgers has about 50 more pass attempt than does Smith... so it does make our drop count all the uglier. But we do have to factor in the precision of this site linked in the OP. If it has been so inaccurate with our drop count... then it could also be inaccurate (not thorough) with other teams listed.

Either way, it's an area that we really need to get better in. Less drops, more tackles broken for YAC, and let's check the routes and issues with the 11-15 connection.

... and Walker? and to some degree, VD ? Learn how to turn your hands the right way to catch passes... you're supposed to be professionals out there.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Yea, because this thread is without bias .

What the hell is your point. This is good info.

How hard can it be for you to surmise my point? It's one sentence.

We understand drops are subjective.. I asked you why you would add the bias thing and the negative smiley face. You were suggesting something. This is the kind of negative responses that jacks up ninertalk. Instead of explaining you first post and talking intelligently about drops, you say it is without bias .
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/159329-interesting-stats-throwing-drops-yac-put-together/search=Jakemall

Maybe I should revisit this. You have twice as many drops as I had found.

Originally posted by NCommand:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/159329-interesting-stats-throwing-drops-yac-put-together/search=Jakemall

Maybe I should revisit this. You have twice as many drops as I had found.

Well we have the videos up for you both...sounds like a film-room date fellas!

Don't really know about these videos or where to access, but I am always willing to check out any potential discrepancies.

Not questioning your work. I meant what I said. My data came from a statistical website with info on every team.not always perfectly accurate. question is, are they inaccurate across the board our just fire the 9ers? or?

Not questioning your work. I meant what I said. My data came from a statistical website with info on every team.not always perfectly accurate. question is, are they inaccurate across the board our just fire the 9ers? or?

Oh, I am fine even if are questioning it... it's cool.

To answer your bolded question, I certainly would not sit and watch every other team's games just to acquire an answer. Who has that level of time or interest? That's the problem with statistical sites. They become inaccurate in some areas because there is just so much area to cover.

I trust myself and the way I went about acquiring the info on the 49ers. I can't say much about your source, since I don't know what your source was.

Why does Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb look so upset about dropping a pass in the picture above? Because it cost him $400. If a Green Bay wideout drops a pass, he must give the other four wide receivers on the team a $100 Best Buy gift card. This really sets up a nice win-win for these players. If your teammate makes the catch, you're happy because it leads to success on the field, and if he drops it, it's an electronics bonanza for yourself. Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/extramustard/hotclicks/10/20/gracie-carvalho-norv-turner-fires-back-at-rex-ryan/index.html#ixzz1bL3lNgA0
Originally posted by valrod33:

Why does Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb look so upset about dropping a pass in the picture above? Because it cost him $400. If a Green Bay wideout drops a pass, he must give the other four wide receivers on the team a $100 Best Buy gift card. This really sets up a nice win-win for these players. If your teammate makes the catch, you're happy because it leads to success on the field, and if he drops it, it's an electronics bonanza for yourself. Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/extramustard/hotclicks/10/20/gracie-carvalho-norv-turner-fires-back-at-rex-ryan/index.html#ixzz1bL3lNgA0

...how bout that? Send this to Harbaugh pronto!
Originally posted by 52thegreat:

The site oldman listed has him at 4 for the year.

No doubt our guys need to work on their hands.
  • dj43
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Oldman:
When you finished your stats what conclusions did you draw? Do teams like Green Bay or New England's receivers drop as many as our team does? What can be done about it?

I don't pay as close attention to those teams as I do ours... so I could only guess. I know we have an arse-load of drops considering that we don't throw the ball all that much. Our boys either have focus issues or lack ideal talent for the roles they are asked to play. I'm hoping they can improve and catch what is in their hands.

Originally posted by Shorteous:
why do you label it 3rd and 6?

just being specific, is all.

I haven't seen much of NE this season but I have watched GB a lot. It is rare to see a GB receiver drop the ball. It isn't just that Aaron Rodgers is dead on with his passes either. I can recall specific catches by Finley that were amazingly acrobatic. Jennings make spectacular catches look routine. Jordy Nelson has excellent hands as well. All of those guys catch the football well.

I have been very pleasantly surprised at how much better coaching has helped this team but the continued number of easy drops concerns me. Good receivers should not be dropping this many passes.
Share 49ersWebzone