LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Drops through week 6 for the Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Did anyone else notice that our drops go up by one every week? The only negative trend I've seen...
Because it is more important than 2nd and 6, and leads to 3 and out.

One thing to contemplate: what would alex's passer completion be if not for these pretty evident drops?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Because it is more important than 2nd and 6, and leads to 3 and out.

One thing to contemplate: what would alex's passer completion be if not for these pretty evident drops?

Why not just say third, why narrow it down so much.
Great post. Pretty sure I read gore was tied for first with 6 drops however.
  • Jiks
A lot of these drops were in critical situations too. Either big plays or first downs.
Yea, because this thread is without bias .
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Delanie Walker T.D. drop
Crabtree drop last game
Gore had an easy drop(1st or 2nd down)
Hunter drop against Eagles on third
Crabtree slant drop on third against Dallas
V.D. drop in one of the earlier games on big play
Josh Morgan had a third down drop on third and 10+ against Dallas(ball was tipped)
Delanie Walker had a third down drop against Dallas(first drive I believe)

It's he truth. Some of these above may not be the correct game, but I remember the drops specifically.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Oldman:
When you finished your stats what conclusions did you draw? Do teams like Green Bay or New England's receivers drop as many as our team does? What can be done about it?

I don't pay as close attention to those teams as I do ours... so I could only guess. I know we have an arse-load of drops considering that we don't throw the ball all that much. Our boys either have focus issues or lack ideal talent for the roles they are asked to play. I'm hoping they can improve and catch what is in their hands.

Originally posted by Shorteous:
why do you label it 3rd and 6?

just being specific, is all.

What the hell is your point. This is good info.
This is actually part of what I love about this season. We actually fight through this stuff and win. I think the more we win the less of this stuff we will do. Which means we are hopefully going to get even better this season.

Originally posted by VA49er:
This is actually part of what I love about this season. We actually fight through this stuff and win. I think the more we win the less of this stuff we will do. Which means we are hopefully going to get even better this season.

Absolutely. If we can win games while being bottom 5-10 in drops and pass protection? (and probably bottom 5-10 in penalties)...

We can win more convincingly if we straighten that slop out.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

What the hell is your point. This is good info.

How hard can it be for you to surmise my point? It's one sentence.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Delanie Walker T.D. drop
Crabtree drop last game
Gore had an easy drop(1st or 2nd down)
Hunter drop against Eagles on third
Crabtree slant drop on third against Dallas
V.D. drop in one of the earlier games on big play
Josh Morgan had a third down drop on third and 10+ against Dallas(ball was tipped)
Delanie Walker had a third down drop against Dallas(first drive I believe)

It's he truth. Some of these above may not be the correct game, but I remember the drops specifically.

I'm not saying there aren't legit drops in this (like the Walker drop for a TD @ Detroit) but there are so many "drops" that fall under a gray area as to who the blame really falls on.

For example, if you watched MNF, there was a slant thrown by Matt Moore to Brandon Marshall that Jaws called a drop but Gruden didn't. In my opinion, it also wasn't a drop because Matt Moore threw the ball too early and too inside so Marshall didn't have a chance to react to the ball. The moment he turned around, the ball was in his face. If you call that a drop, you aren't being realistic. The chances a WR catches that are slim to none...despite it hitting his hands.

In conclusion, like I said, there's a large gray area.
as I explained at the top of my OP.. there is no gray area here... easy and clear. If there was any doubt, I left it out.

( and no...I am not asking anyone to believe me. They are free to believe whatever they want.. all I can do is put the info out there. From there, they do what they want with it )
I'm not saying there aren't legit drops in this (like the Walker drop for a TD @ Detroit) but there are so many "drops" that fall under a gray area as to who the blame really falls on.

For example, if you watched MNF, there was a slant thrown by Matt Moore to Brandon Marshall that Jaws called a drop but Gruden didn't. In my opinion, it also wasn't a drop because Matt Moore threw the ball too early and too inside so Marshall didn't have a chance to react to the ball. The moment he turned around, the ball was in his face. If you call that a drop, you aren't being realistic. The chances a WR catches that are slim to none...despite it hitting his hands.

In conclusion, like I said, there's a large gray area.

If the receiver gets his hand(s) on it and doesn't catch it, then it is a drop to me. Anything else is an errant pass or a purposeful throw away.
Share 49ersWebzone