LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
As usual, the next game will say a lot.

Good, good point. We lose by a bunch in that game and the media will be all over us. Win, and the news will be how Rodgers didn't have a good game and will bounce back.
Originally posted by VANiner:

Good, good point. We lose by a bunch in that game and the media will be all over us. Win, and the news will be how Rodgers didn't have a good game and will bounce back.

That would be two games in a row for Rodgers if that happens.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Part of it is just going with the historical trend that breakout teams typically regress the following year, but virtually every NFL "expert" out there has been saying for 7 years that Alex is a bust. They've professionally invested in his failure and that's why they used every excuse in the book last year to diminish Alex's success.

I'm happy to see us being underestimated again, and I'm sure Harbaugh is as well.
[ Edited by vaden on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM ]
It would be bad form (in media world) to contradict previous opinions regarding Smith. It's almost as if they are so attached to their beliefs that they have to stick with them. No mattter what.

And, perhaps most important, negativity spawns attention, and make no mistake, that's what they're really after. Truth is, they know no more than anyone with half a brain.

But you are correct about the QB factor. It takes too much effort and forethought to look past signal callers, so don't expect them to.
Let them hate on us, just more motivation to prove these so call experts wrong, I love being the underdog, took them over half the season to call us legit if i remember right it was the giants who said there a great team. So let the experts not respect us, because when the games over all i care about is if the other team respects us.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think the offense needs to improve to match last year's success. In quite a few games the defense gave up a lot of passing yards only to create turnovers or stop an opponent short of the goal line and only give up 3. I don't think you can always count on that. Sometimes we are going to need the offense to bail us out. Alex needs to take another step forward. I wish we had seen Moss in the preseason, I guess we will see what he has left against the Packers.
We need to do it again before some will be convinced that the 49ers are legit. Perfectly understandable, but a few seem to be hoping that we were a fluke.
We have a solid defense and a good ST group, but an unproven offense. Smith had to play the game of his life to beat the Saints. I think the media is right on this season. We'll win the division, but it'll be tough to stay with the elite offenses, such as GB.
[ Edited by strickac on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM ]
Smith did extremely well at times last year and brought the team back to a record number of victories. He did this with limited receiving options for many games and with little time in TC. So while we as fans can appreciate his ability, it is not surprising that the media will play a wait-and -see game regarding our QB. They tend to grade QB on winning the big one, winning over several seasons, and then QBR.

There are somethings that are judged more important, such as amazing throws ala Romo, but then they tend to under rate the times he has a series of mental lapses that throw a game away. If he had ever won a Super Bowl they would have crowned him king of the NFL.

But the media are also bandwagon folks and will be all over the 9ers if they win it all...except for the hardcore haters like Jamie Dukes.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM ]
Parcells said it best, "You are what your record says you are." 13-3 last year and this year is an open book - waiting to be written.

11-5 with a Super Bowl sounds very good to me.

A lot of folks still have us as NFC favorites and most have us as division favorites, contrarions are just that. They are trying to garner attention, and some ppl do just want to see consistency and i cant knock them for that, but a lot of them are ill informed on just how deep our team is, how many upgrades we have made etc. I think as long as we execute and listen to the coaches we are bound to have another playoff run, maybe even #6.
Originally posted by vaden:
Part of it is just going with the historical trend that breakout teams typically regress the following year, but virtually every NFL "expert" out there has been saying for 7 years that Alex is a bust. They've professionally invested in his failure and that's why they used every excuse in the book last year to diminish Alex's success.

I'm happy to see us being underestimated again, and I'm sure Harbaugh is as well.
Big time. I love Harbs mentality in dealing with the media, love it!

The team is only as good as its last game.
Originally posted by taney71:
The team is only as good as its last game.

Which is why many negative posters felt rejuvenated after the playoff loss. Here's hoping the GB game is a route for SF!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
It would be bad form (in media world) to contradict previous opinions regarding Smith. It's almost as if they are so attached to their beliefs that they have to stick with them. No mattter what.

And, perhaps most important, negativity spawns attention, and make no mistake, that's what they're really after. Truth is, they know no more than anyone with half a brain.

But you are correct about the QB factor. It takes too much effort and forethought to look past signal callers, so don't expect them to.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone