LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I enjoy reading/listening to the talking heads but take only a couple seriously...and even then only at times. They generally are group thinkers reinforcing each other with a gem of their own thrown in from time to time.

Why they don't respect the niners (but are wrong):

1) Harbaugh--seen as a good short term motivator with a gimmicky offense (trick plays feed into this). This is nonsense as he is a consummate football thinker.

2) No offense--QB is a bust. Most talking heads are invested in this notion and can't change their minds without admitting they were wrong...how often does that happen? Very few pundits understand how clever JH was in fashioning the offense...not because the QB couldn't learn the playbook, but because no one could learn the new scheme in less than a training camp or two. The offense should be more prolific this year, but will still emphasize limiting mistakes.

3) D can't possibly be as good. Pundits are always wary of a one-year trend for a team. Pitt and Balt earned their reps over time. The niners return all their players and add Cox and Aldon gets more minutes. I see the D being better than last year, barring serious injuries.

4) ST can't possibly be as good. This is one of those areas where I think coaching is under-rated. Pundits seldom take this area seriously. Boy are they wrong!

5) Lack of respect for the 9ers assistant coaches, who are one of the best groups in the NFL. They all came back and will continue teaching fundamentals, while expanding on the fine points.

6) Schedule--this is a joke to me because folks were talking about how tough the schedule was before last year and then teams showed up to play. Some lost and went down in the ratings while some went up...the way it happens every year. One reason teams went down in the ratings is because they played the 9ers. Losing to the niners showed just how bad some teams were...according to some pundits.

7) Bias (east coast or ?) this is real and I believe it comes from pundits not seeing all the west coast games and the close proximity of teams in the east. You can drive from NY to Balt to Pitt to NE in an easy day.

8) Former coach bias--many pundits are former coaches and show bias toward old nemesis. My favorite former coach pundits are Mariucci and Parcells. The fist because he likes everyone and tries hard not to be biased, the latter because he doesn't give a flip and says what he thinks. Sad when he went back to management, I loved his take no prisoners commentary.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM ]
I like it. It reminds me of when we were good in the 80s and 90s. Success breeds envy, which results in hate.
Media is on the outside looking in. Who cares if the media hates on the 49ers. Enough with the whining.
I had this argument with my coworker/seahawks fan . Carrol leaves the first string team in for 3 quarters in a preseason exhibish.

The guy is a tool.

We do have the toughest schedule, but that shouldn't be an issue.
I've seen plenty of people picking the 49ers to represent the NFC in the SB. That a huge compliment consudering the play of GB.

Don't sleep on Seattle though. They have a tough defense and Russel Wilson has looked great in their offense. I still think we'll win the division pretty easily, but they could certainly be in the wildcard race. It'll be interesting to see how Wilson does in the regular season. If he struggles, they'll be a mess at QB. Flynn will be one expensive backup.
[ Edited by strickac on Aug 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM ]
Originally posted by strickac:
I've seen plenty of people picking the 49ers to represent the NFC in the SB. That a huge compliment consudering the play of GB.

Don't sleep on Seattle though. They have a tough defense and Russel Wilson has looked great in their offense. I still think we'll win the division pretty easily, but they could certainly be in the wildcard race. It'll be interesting to see how Wilson does in the regular season. If he struggles, they'll be a mess at QB. Flynn will be one expensive backup.

granted, I'm only finishing the 1st quarter, but all Wilson really did was victimize a nobody CB named Jalil Brown # 30 so far. Those passes won't be completed vs decent CBs.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
granted, I'm only finishing the 1st quarter, but all Wilson really did was victimize a nobody CB named Jalil Brown # 30 so far. Those passes won't be completed vs decent CBs.

Wilson is the real deal dude. This kid is smart, fast, and has the pedigree to be great. He's a bit diminutive in stature, but he has all the tools to be a thorn in our side for a long time.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:

Wilson is the real deal dude. This kid is smart, fast, and has the pedigree to be great. He's a bit diminutive in stature, but he has all the tools to be a thorn in our side for a long time.

We'll see.. not praising or condemning him just yet.
Eh being a sports writer or a commentator ala Skip Bayless is all about getting attention and making people pay attention. Being a contrarian or saying something "shocking". Whats more shocking and interesting, predicting a 13-3 team will have a similarly successful season? Or saying that they will be awful? Exactly. Now if everyone was saying they would be awful, then you would see sports writers saying hold on a second here is why the Niners will be awesome. It is what it is. If you look deep enough you can find a thousand "professional" opinions predicting every level of out come for the Niners. Hell Im sure you could find someone predicting the Browns as Super Bowl champs. Just sayin.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:

We'll see.. not praising or condemning him just yet.

So far this guy is doing his job can't knock him for that even with back up defenses, man i hope this is all lucky start for Wilson and things fall apart

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Bayless this morning said the Pats will go 18-1 and win the SB. He listed Joseph Addai as one of the weapons on the team to put them over the top. Several hours later the Pats released Addai.
That's hilarious.

And it says everything about experts.

Stopped listening and reading their crap many seasons ago.
I don't care about being loved! Hate me all you want, but you will respect me or i'll pop you in the mouth.
Speaking of which, I got through an entire article hating on the 49ers before I realized it was written by Grant Cohn. I gotta start remembering to read the by-lines on articles linked on the front page.
Ok, I won't get oo far into the reasoning that many "pundits" have thrown out..."no injuries in 2011", "can't match the turnover differential", "tougher schedule", etc. The simple fact is, these guys are LOOKING for reasons to support our regress. That's fine, I don't understand it, but it is fine with me. It is fairly annoying that no body is looking at the potential regressing of teams like the Packers, Patriots, Saints or Lions. And there is one reason for that....Quarterback.

There are a lot of people who see us regressing simply for the fact that AS can't get it done again. Some use the arguments listed above, but most really think our QB just is below par and cannot take a step forward. It seems unfair to me that, in general, when a player takes a step forward, then there is optimism for further development the following year. However, with our boy AS, there is no such optimism. Just as they feel our turnover ratio will return to the "norm", they assume AS will return to the "norm". This is called biased journalism (in nice terms).

Right now, the majority of the media are looking at ARI, MIN, CLE and MIA to be in the cellar this year (barring some of the teams that just drafted future franchise QBs). My problem is, if any of these teams listed managed to acquire a Rodgers, Brees or Brady, they would look at them as legitimate playoff contenders. Yes, the QB is the most important position on the field, but let's stay in reality. A bad team is a bad team. A bad team with a good QB is better, but probably still a bad team.

All I am saying is that if, only imagine, AS doesn't regress to 2005 form...we only suffer a few injuries (as most teams do), and let our turnover ratio decrease (say to +14), are we really any weaker than last year after our off-season gains? Maybe I am way off base and Russell Wilson is the now best QB in the division and we will have to deal with him as the AFC East has had to deal with Brady for a decade (seriously??).

For some reason, many in the media come to a conclusion that we will be bad or marginal at best, and then defend their argument with whatever reason they can come up with. I just don't see that with teams like the Packers, Saints and Patriots. Why? Because they can't get off the jock straps of these QBs.
As usual, the next game will say a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone