There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Media and the 49ers

Doesn't matter. It will only take 10 games to win the division anyway.
Life is unexplainable, but we try to quantify things so that we can explain things. The end game is the whether we win the SB or not. Look at the Giants, they peaked at the right time and place.

I expect somethings will decrease while others increase. I see 11-5 or 12-4. However, ask yourself this, do you want the end game or the good season that the Packers and before that the pats had of going nearly undefeated? The key is being in a position to go to the dance first. When you get to 15 -16 wins, there is a certain pressure and you get and play uptight instead of improve, playing for survival. I am sure that JH wants to win, but he rather the 49ers have a survival mode mindset. Like a mother lion protecting its cub.
Marv, where've you been buddy?!
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Thats got to be one of the worst articles I've ever written.. Of course ESPN would link it on the page

You wrote it?
Let me start of by saying that this guys really sounds like some nerd with a caculator trying to rationalize Pro Football.

I partially agree with this guy but, this is football, meaning youve got to look at a lot more than stats to get the whole story.

I agree that we probably wont have such a favorable take away ratio as last year, however, three and out is nearly as good as a Turnover, and our D can stop people in between the endzones.

I agree that Alex smith will probably throw more picks, however, he will also get more attempts, and throw for more yards as well as td passes, makes since right?

Bottom Line is the concept from that "moneyball" movie does not apply to the sport of football, and stats dont measure the heart of a team.

Last time I checked we still had absolute monsters lining up on both sides of the ball....where does it mention that in the article?
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Let me start of by saying that this guys really sounds like some nerd with a caculator trying to rationalize Pro Football.

I partially agree with this guy but, this is football, meaning youve got to look at a lot more than stats to get the whole story.

I agree that we probably wont have such a favorable take away ratio as last year, however, three and out is nearly as good as a Turnover, and our D can stop people in between the endzones.

I agree that Alex smith will probably throw more picks, however, he will also get more attempts, and throw for more yards as well as td passes, makes since right?

Bottom Line is the concept from that "moneyball" movie does not apply to the sport of football, and stats dont measure the heart of a team.

Last time I checked we still had absolute monsters lining up on both sides of the ball....where does it mention that in the article?

it's an off season article...kinda like an off season iin the WZ...too much time and you get crazy in the head with stats then what really happened the year before.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Thats got to be one of the worst articles I've ever written.. Of course ESPN would link it on the page

ESPN owns Grantland.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Thats got to be one of the worst articles I've ever written.. Of course ESPN would link it on the page

ESPN owns Grantland.

He should know that if he writes for Grantland.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Thats got to be one of the worst articles I've ever written.. Of course ESPN would link it on the page

ESPN owns Grantland.

He should know that if he writes for Grantland.

bill simmons is trash, i can't stand him
Look at how we won a good number of our games. Defense, great field position thanks to the best punter in football, field goals from the best kicker, and turnover differential we are highly unlikely to replicate. We did not win many games in a way that exactly inspired confidence.

We need to be way better on offense and that is the truth.
[ Edited by kray28 on Aug 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM ]
One of the key factors of this 49er team is that they come to play every game. Look at all the playoff teams last year, each one got blown out at some point. The Niners were in every game until the final whistle. I don't see that changing. Sure injuries are an X factor but this team is loaded from 1-53. If the opposing team doesn't come with their A game they can expect an L.
What the sports writers don't realize, is that our defense will very likely be better. It would take 4-5 injuries for that not to happen. They also don't realize that our offense has a good chance to be better. They don't realize how bad Chilo Rachal was.

Then they point to the schedule as being tougher, where, if they bothered to research it, it is actually easier on average and on median. I can't blame them too much, you would have to really follow the team closely to understand these things.

As long as the Smith's are healthy, we should win 10+ games.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM ]
Originally posted by kray28:
Look at how we won a good number of our games. Defense, great field position thanks to the best punter in football, field goals from the best kicker, and turnover differential we are highly unlikely to replicate. We did not win many games in a way that exactly inspired confidence.

We need to be way better on offense and that is the truth.


That is very true. It will be very tough if our offense is not better. But our defense will almost certainly be better, so even if our offense is the same, we should be better.
I don't even bother reading Grant's articles anymore. They're either completely on the homer side or completely on the hater side. No fresh perspective or anything analytical worth discussing.

Barrows and Branch still keep it real.

Maiocco is a little too cookie cutter for me.

The Cohn's are the worst....by far.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
bill simmons is trash, i can't stand him

I <3 bill simmons