There are 204 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we dont deserve any ranking about the following teams due to one reason ALEX SMITH. Prove it in the playoffs that you can win a game and compete in a championship then we will heap praise. Anything short of that in his 8th season is a failure.

greenbay
ne
pitt
no
giants
Originally posted by whatawegot:
we dont deserve any ranking about the following teams due to one reason ALEX SMITH. Prove it in the playoffs that you can win a game and compete in a championship then we will heap praise. Anything short of that in his 8th season is a failure.

greenbay
ne
pitt
no
giants
Its Team Rankings for this season not QB rankings and what youve done in the past rankings. The 49ers as a team are playing better than everyone except Green Bay and New England IMO
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Man, I love the way this team is built! We are the new, Oldschool. Someone has said it before, but a lot of NFL teams have been building to defend the pass. That is why they will be in a world of hurt when the Niners line up 6,7 and maby 8 big bodies to set up the run. Even worst, because we have very good TEs (blocking or catching) we can also pass out of the formation. We are the perfect answer to the high flying offenses of todays NFL.

I honestly feel like I'm watching the next stage of evolution in offensive football. And it's not just from a scheme stand point, it's also player personnel.

Harbaugh will win a Superbowl.....

5 - mobile 300 pounder linemen, 3- speedy 260pds TE, coming at you on half of our running plays. But wait -- we can throw out of that formation too, because our TE has wide receiver speed

Make them 'don't wanna play no more.'
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by Joecool:
My power rankings would go like this:
1. GB
2. NE
3. NO
4. PIT
5. BLT
6. SD
7. SF
BLT makes me hungry, but after last night, Flaco and the Ravens they took a big step backwards. And SD is not in the top 10 (doesn't matter that they are in 1st in a crappy Division). Too many of these top ranked teams are long in the tooth and have been getting love because of who they use to be and previous seasons records. Big Ben still has gas in the tank but that Pitt D is not the same as last year.

NO, still dangerous and still no D. We are much more of a complete team and we are better than the team that almost beat them last year
Take away Brady, and we are better than NE.

We are 3 at best and 4 at worst

Believe it faithful

yeah i think we are in front of blt pit and sd for sure. I mean blt put that whopping on pit earlier on in the year I think really showed their weaknesses. After watching blt last night i think we match up really well with them. Seeing what MDJ did, I can not help to think Gore can do a lot better with our line and more of a passing threat than JAC. SD has players but they are always over rated.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
First of all, nobody likes a hipster with the "I don't care about the power rankings. I'd rather be underrated" b******t. You clicked, you care.

Secondly, this team has as much talent as all the top tier teams (including the Packers and Patriots). We play a different style ball, but when you compare the entire rosters there is not much of a difference.

There is absolutely no reason we can't be the #1 team in the league. Our strength of schedule is superior than all of the top teams. We did our best work on the road, on the east coast. We're an overtime away from being undefeated.

I just watched a Christian Ponder-led Vikings team nearly upset the Packers. The Ravens lost to a wretched Jacksonville side, in prime time. And the Saints lost to the very same Tampa Bay team we annihilated. And it can be argued that the Patriots defense is one of the league's 10 worst.

Point is, for every reason somebody gives that the 49ers should not be considered #1...there are just as many reasons for the other top teams.

When you look at the sum of the parts and the remaining schedule, the San Francisco 49ers could soon be considered the top team in the NFL.
Originally posted by okdkid:
First of all, nobody likes a hipster with the "I don't care about the power rankings. I'd rather be underrated" b******t. You clicked, you care.

Secondly, this team has as much talent as all the top tier teams (including the Packers and Patriots). We play a different style ball, but when you compare the entire rosters there is not much of a difference.

There is absolutely no reason we can't be the #1 team in the league. Our strength of schedule is superior than all of the top teams. We did our best work on the road, on the east coast. We're an overtime away from being undefeated.

I just watched a Christian Ponder-led Vikings team nearly upset the Packers. The Ravens lost to a wretched Jacksonville side, in prime time. And the Saints lost to the very same Tampa Bay team we annihilated. And it can be argued that the Patriots defense is one of the league's 10 worst.

Point is, for every reason somebody gives that the 49ers should not be considered #1...there are just as many reasons for the other top teams.

When you look at the sum of the parts and the remaining schedule, the San Francisco 49ers could soon be considered the top team in the NFL.
Spot on!

And I got goosebumps and s**t my pants! Well said and great post!
First in the NFC West. Second seed in the NFC Playoff structure, those are the only rankings I care about. If we end the season in the posistion we are today, all of the pundits could have us ranked 31st, wouldnt bother me one bit.
8 years of losing has me cautious about bragging about my team, but I am really excited about the future. This team is fun to watch!
Braylon Edwards opposite Crabtree
Vernon opposite Delanie
and Kendall hunter backing up Frank Gore

And the best part. Alex is looking like a different man.
I honestly think by seasons end we will be able to beat teams by punishing them on the ground and ripping their secondary apart. We have some GREAT weapons and I dont think Harbaugh and co. will settle for regression from Alex. I mean hes come so far in 6 games its incredible. Our defense isnt going anywhere either. Honestly I beleive if we can keep this up(no major injuries) we should be right there in the NFC championship or superbowl competing.
We will make the media give us more respect. But i am glad were up high on these lists. Agree that we should be above NO so far.
Originally posted by Antix:
We have the strongest strength of schedule of any 1 loss team. That BY ITSELF proves we are the best 1 loss team. Considering 3 of those wins were on the road that makes it even more clear.

Teams like NO and PIT and BLT get credit for past success and their QBs name in comparison to ours.

It doesn't matter though. I only care if we're number 1 by March.

Some of the mathematical power rankings out there do have us at #2..

and while I agree to an extent, I'm okay with the Patriots being ahead of us just on reputation and they beat the one common opponent we've had, and we lost to, I have no issue with that at this time

This this and this x 100. From beginning to end great post. I couldn't agree more with you on everything you said above.
Originally posted by goodthings19:

This this and this x 100. From beginning to end great post. I couldn't agree more with you on everything you said above.

Imagine if Morgan didn't get injured. Almost perfect.
Originally posted by Texas9erFan:
Originally posted by digital9er:
Originally posted by Texas9erFan:
No suprise there. I suppose we should worry a bit more about Pittsburg though.

Whoa bud! one game at a time. Let's think about getting the win against the Browns and think about the next game after that.

Pfft... I'm a fan, not a player. I'm more concerned about how we're going to beat GB in the NFC Championship!

Not saying Im a player either but last year most of us here was putting up Wins against all kinds of teams that we lost too. So Just trying to not get my hopes up on "Ya we are going to Win against this team and that team." For example: Last year against the Eagles most of us here put up a W because Kolb was starting and look what happened.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Some of the mathematical power rankings out there do have us at #2..

and while I agree to an extent, I'm okay with the Patriots being ahead of us just on reputation and they beat the one common opponent we've had, and we lost to, I have no issue with that at this time

Good point. I haven't seen any rankings that had us at 2 but I don't really search them out.

Personally, I just think the overall strength of schedule with a west coast team beating 3 east coast teams makes us better. Also. we play in the NFC West, the division that's everybody's favorite punching bag should add something. If the were 3-0 against West Coast teams then I'd give it to them, However, too much of the power rankings is based on the teams "name" and not what's going on right now.

At worst we're the 3rd best team right now (boy do I wanna piece of the Packers), but I'm just concerned with the Cleveland Browns.
The thing with the power rankings for us is like the BCS rankings are for Boise State. Lose and your out. We are so high because the "analysts" have no choice. In many of their minds, we are at the top by default. Heaven help us if we drop one to the Browns or Skins - we will fall to like 15. That said, even if we drop one to the Giants or Ravens, I bet we fall to the 10 range. The only way we stay near the top is to keep winning. We don't have the "street cred" yet like the Saints, Ravens, Steelers, etc. to drop a couple games and still remain at or near the top. I do like seeing us up towards the top of the rankings, but God are these things meaningless...
Share 49ersWebzone