LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

"Don't you think Defensive Coordinators around the league are gonna figure this

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9er_84:
The reason why defensive coordinators cant figure us out and stop the run and why alex smith is excelling...is because of our play calling, specifically our play formations...the team is lineing up in double te sets but the d has no clue if wer gonna run or pass with the way we line up and shift around.

You are correct, sir... Nice post.
The reason why defensive coordinators cant figure us out and stop the run and why alex smith is excelling...is because of our play calling, specifically our play formations...the team is lineing up in double te sets but the d has no clue if wer gonna run or pass with the way we line up and shift around.

Exactly. Even the announcers of the game yesterday was talking about this. They were commenting on Suh on one play saying he stopped in the middle of the play because he didn't know if we were running or passing.

It's been about a decade since this has happened. Feels good.
Also those runs dirrectly at the middle right at Suh probably stunned him. The Lions probably thought we weren't going to run inside and yet we did and on top of that Delanie Walker blocked Suh. LOL
its not that simple buddy
It's not easy to shut down a run game as good as ours. The only two teams on our schedule who probably can are the steelers and ravens. Even then I still think we can win against any defense.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
This has been a given since week 1, but so far teams haven't stopped our running game enough to require Alex to carry the team. So until then, he doesn't need to do more. And when that time comes, then we will see if he has really improved or not.

Actually despite his low passing yardage, it was Smith who carried the offense in the first three games of the season. The running game got a spark after Hunter briefly replaced Gore in the lineup. I guess it was a wakeup call for Gore and he has been on fire since then.
Hopefully Alex will have improved to the point where he can burn the enemy w/ passes.

winner winner chicken dinner!
I beleive down the stretch Alex will be airing it out. coach has him working on the short to medium game so far. As the O-line gets better and allows Alex to throw the deep balls im sure coach H. will open up that play book a bit more. It will add to the game.
seriously?

Originally posted by miked1978:

Exactly. Even the announcers of the game yesterday was talking about this. They were commenting on Suh on one play saying he stopped in the middle of the play because he didn't know if we were running or passing.

It's been about a decade since this has happened. Feels good.

Just amazing. Same team. Same players that lost last year and the year before and the year before that.

Now -- they are kicking ASS and taking names. Defenses will NOT be able to stop the run because they have no clue when the run is coming. We run it out of so many different and varied formations these days that you CANNOT TELL WHAT IS ABOUT TO HIT YOU.
You can figure out what the niners are doing but,
1) you still have to have the personnel to do it.
2) the niners look at how your D plays and adapt the running plays to take advantage of your weakness
example, Suh and the other DT are great and aggressive penetrators so they let them penetrate and seal them off instead of blowing them off the line. Look at Gores two biggest runs. They are taking what they give them. Like Walsh did with his passing-dink and dunk, except with the running game. Singletary trie to play smash mouth no matter what no schemeing.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Texas9erFan:

winner winner chicken dinner!

I think stacking the box isn't working due to the "kill" command or the "roll" command. I think two plays are called; if the defense is wrong for the first play Alex calls "kill, kill!". If the defense sets up nicely for the the play he gives the "roll" command and motions with his arm. It's a really slick appearing system, and probably why opposing teams cannot run blitz every down.

It's not Peyton Manning complex but it appears to be working.
Imagine this team with a quarterback who can air it out a la Kaepernick?! However, Alex Smith is doing a great job! I can't believe I actually said that either...
Originally posted by Nuns:
I think stacking the box isn't working due to the "kill" command or the "roll" command. I think two plays are called; if the defense is wrong for the first play Alex calls "kill, kill!". If the defense sets up nicely for the the play he gives the "roll" command and motions with his arm. It's a really slick appearing system, and probably why opposing teams cannot run blitz every down.

It's not Peyton Manning complex but it appears to be working.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204346104576637441229847906.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

i think this article futher argues our point as well...its focuses on delanie and the mismatches but highlights how their formations take advantage of teams not being able to focus on the run
Share 49ersWebzone