LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

"Don't you think Defensive Coordinators around the league are gonna figure this

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith looked like Peyton Manning with him yelling and using all those hand signals at pre-snap!

It's more like Alex has figured out defensive coordinators!
[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't think this is a passing league. I think overall defensive play (along with rule changes) has regressed in the league over the years. Look no further than the state of tackling around the league. It's atrocious. That has made it easier to pass the ball.

However, if you have a top defense and win the turnover battle, you'll win most weeks. That's what we do. This team doesn't need a 300 yard passer. It just needs a guy who can throw the slant, not turn the ball over and take advantage of play action. Check, check and check.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
alex smith needs to eventually take that next step and be the reason why we win games if we want to win a superbowl and beat the packers.

Truth, but The running game is working, unlike sing. It's actually a positive for us. Gore had 9.4 and Hunter is looking good too. Let's keep building Alex's ego, he made a clutch play when it mattered, it's a start!
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I was listening to a discussion of Alex Smith/49ers offense on SI, and the conversation went like this:

- Jim Harbaugh knows Alex Smith's strengths/weaknesses, and that's why Alex has succeeded.
- Because Jim Harbaugh knows his weaknesses, is that why he's running the ball so much?
- If we've got a good running game, we should use it. It's gotten us to 5-1.
- Don't you think that defensive coordinators around the league will figure this out?
- It's a passing league, but it works to run the ball if you can run well and you have a quarterback that can manage the game.

I thought it was an interesting discussion. My thoughts on it are this:

- EVERYBODY already knows that we're going to run the ball and limit Alex Smith's throws.

- Yet... We're 5th in the league in running, and Alex Smith is having the best season of his career so far.

- I think the reason it's all working is because the coaching, the passing game, and running game are all in sync with eachother. There's great balance. Nolan and Singletary tried to establish the running game, but they didn't set anything up. This year, it's different. In some drives, the 49ers will come out throwing on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. Passing sets up the run. Running sets up the pass. In the past, I could guess what play was being called, but I find I can't do that anymore this year.

- I do wonder if teams will figure out our running "style." We HAVE done a lot of things in the running game I haven't seen too much from our team in recent years. I do think teams will key in on that in the future. Alex Smith WILL need to do more.

This has been a given since week 1, but so far teams haven't stopped our running game enough to require Alex to carry the team. So until then, he doesn't need to do more. And when that time comes, then we will see if he has really improved or not.
what, alex carried us weeks 1-3 when are running games was non-existent. Now it's really kicking ass.
The reason why defensive coordinators cant figure us out and stop the run and why alex smith is excelling...is because of our play calling, specifically our play formations...the team is lineing up in double te sets but the d has no clue if wer gonna run or pass with the way we line up and shift around.
Originally posted by 9er_84:
The reason why defensive coordinators cant figure us out and stop the run and why alex smith is excelling...is because of our play calling, specifically our play formations...the team is lineing up in double te sets but the d has no clue if wer gonna run or pass with the way we line up and shift around.

Ya, Suh was absolutely frozen at times yesterday
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
alex smith needs to eventually take that next step and be the reason why we win games if we want to win a superbowl and beat the packers.

I think he has taken that FIRST step already. To say he hasn't is being ignorant. Look at the eagles game for example. Who won that game for us? Alex did. We were down 20 points and Smith put the offense on his back and won that game for us. A Trent dilfer type of quarterback game he is compared to, will not win those types of games.
Look at that last Td to walker. That pass was perfect. He was " clutch." I'll take that over 300 yards passing a game(Ala Sam Bradford, whose team only put out 3 points!).

Will Alex start throwing more 300 yard games? I think so. Remember what his old coach urban Meyer said. Once he masters the wco then I believe he will put up 4000 yards 30 td season.
  • lyer
  • Veteran

got to love good coaching... its been a long time.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Ya, Suh was absolutely frozen at times yesterday

Yes that was fun to watch, in the back field i got a sack, o wait i just got washed out of the play, gore's 20 yards down field!
Yup! and our offense is only gonna get better and more diverse as the season progresses....imagine if we had an entire offseason!?!?

Originally posted by okdkid:
I don't think this is a passing league. I think overall defensive play (along with rule changes) has regressed in the league over the years. Look no further than the state of tackling around the league. It's atrocious. That has made it easier to pass the ball.

However, if you have a top defense and win the turnover battle, you'll win most weeks. That's what we do. This team doesn't need a 300 yard passer. It just needs a guy who can throw the slant, not turn the ball over and take advantage of play action. Check, check and check.

This Guy ^
Originally posted by lyer:
alex isn't* making piss poor decisions like has in past seasons.

coaching has gotten us to 5-1, not doubt.

welcome to the zone, sounds like you will fit right into niner talk.
One reason is that the other team no longer knows what is coming. No more run run pass punt.
Teams knew we were going to run most of the time last year and stopped us. They game planned to stop Gore.

They're trying the same thing now and it's not working, because Alex is better. When they blitz him, he beats them most of the time. When they don't? We gash them in the run game. The whole offense is doing better. Better coaching has led to better QB play and better offensive production overall.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
what, alex carried us weeks 1-3 when are running games was non-existent. Now it's really kicking ass.

Great point. Basically, when Alex needed to be the primary guy on offense, he could be. Smart coaching takes what the defense is doing and uses the best counter to defeat them in the game. If they're not stopping the run, why NOT run the ball?

I saw some REALLY good plays off play-action that would've been huge if we had not had penalties. Alex's stat line this past game indicates it was rough, but it honestly looks worse than it really was. Crabtree and Walker both should've caught touchdowns. 3 TD and only 1 INT with a clutch 4th and goal game-winning TD would look pretty darn awesome, but hey it didn't happen and the stats are what they are. If anything, it shows Alex was able to overcome a variety of things to make a play and win the game.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone