LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

"Don't you think Defensive Coordinators around the league are gonna figure this

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was listening to a discussion of Alex Smith/49ers offense on SI, and the conversation went like this:

- Jim Harbaugh knows Alex Smith's strengths/weaknesses, and that's why Alex has succeeded.
- Because Jim Harbaugh knows his weaknesses, is that why he's running the ball so much?
- If we've got a good running game, we should use it. It's gotten us to 5-1.
- Don't you think that defensive coordinators around the league will figure this out?
- It's a passing league, but it works to run the ball if you can run well and you have a quarterback that can manage the game.

I thought it was an interesting discussion. My thoughts on it are this:

- EVERYBODY already knows that we're going to run the ball and limit Alex Smith's throws.

- Yet... We're 5th in the league in running, and Alex Smith is having the best season of his career so far.

- I think the reason it's all working is because the coaching, the passing game, and running game are all in sync with eachother. There's great balance. Nolan and Singletary tried to establish the running game, but they didn't set anything up. This year, it's different. In some drives, the 49ers will come out throwing on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. Passing sets up the run. Running sets up the pass. In the past, I could guess what play was being called, but I find I can't do that anymore this year.

- I do wonder if teams will figure out our running "style." We HAVE done a lot of things in the running game I haven't seen too much from our team in recent years. I do think teams will key in on that in the future. Alex Smith WILL need to do more.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I was listening to a discussion of Alex Smith/49ers offense on SI, and the conversation went like this:

- Jim Harbaugh knows Alex Smith's strengths/weaknesses, and that's why Alex has succeeded.
- Because Jim Harbaugh knows his weaknesses, is that why he's running the ball so much?
- Don't you think that defensive coordinators around the league will figure this out?
- It's a passing league, but it works to run the ball if you can run well and you have a quarterback that can manage the game.

- EVERYBODY already knows that we're going to run the ball and limit Alex Smith's throws.

- Yet... We're 5th in the league in running, and Alex Smith is having the best season of his career so far.

- I think the reason it's all working is because the coaching, the passing game, and running game are all in sync with eachother. There's great balance. Nolan and Singletary tried to establish the running game, but they didn't set anything up. This year, it's different. In some drives, the 49ers will come out throwing on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. Passing sets up the run. Running sets up the pass. In the past, I could guess what play was being called, but I find I can't do that anymore this year.

- I do wonder if teams will figure out our running "style." We HAVE done a lot of things in the running game I haven't seen too much from our team in recent years. I do think teams will key in on that in the future. Alex Smith WILL need to do more.

This has been a given since week 1, but so far teams haven't stopped our running game enough to require Alex to carry the team. So until then, he doesn't need to do more. And when that time comes, then we will see if he has really improved or not.
alex smith needs to eventually take that next step and be the reason why we win games if we want to win a superbowl and beat the packers.
A huge difference this year too is that when they try to load the box with 8 or 9 guys Alex is making them pay for it. In past seasons the recipe was simple, load the box, if run try and stuff it, if pass fluster Alex and you just may get a turnover. Now Alex is hitting the blitz or quick route effectively and teams simply can not do that anymore.
you always have to adapt. it's not necessarily that Smith will have to do more--he does, to some extent, and we'd all like to see that--we just have to find ways to do what we do well even when the other team has--or thinks they have--a way to stop it.

I mean, the Colts have basically been doing the exact same things for over a decade. DC's haven't figured out a way to stop it. I'm sure if you looked at detailed plays and gameplans from the Colts you would see constant variations and wrinkles on the same basic themes. That's what we have to do.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
alex smith needs to eventually take that next step and be the reason why we win games if we want to win a superbowl and beat the packers.

I think thats what were hoping Kapernick does for the team
Originally posted by walker807:
A huge difference this year too is that when they try to load the box with 8 or 9 guys Alex is making them pay for it. In past seasons the recipe was simple, load the box, if run try and stuff it, if pass fluster Alex and you just may get a turnover. Now Alex is hitting the blitz or quick route effectively and teams simply can not do that anymore.

One thing I'm liking about Alex Smith this year is that he's making plays when the play break down. He's *starting* to improvise within the confines of the system. Y'know, we drafted him over Aaron Rodgers because of his athleticism (Let's not get into THAT discussion). We hadn't really been using him as an athlete since Harbaugh came here. He's encouraged Alex to make plays with his feet. The extra threat of Alex Smith taking off is just another thing defenses have to worry about.
Originally posted by walker807:

This. Alex has been making defenses pay for stacking the box. DET is/was/will be Alex's toughest match the entire year because they are a team that did not need to load the box to stop the run AND could still get pressure on the QB...kind of like us but not as good.
Dear lord. We are 5-1 can we not earn the Whiners rep. when we are winning? Smith was the reason we won the first 3 games of the year. He has "taken the next step" even if haters want to say otherwise.

Also, remember that Harbaugh love running the ball and wants a balanced offense of abotu 50/50 run to pass plays. That means we aren't going to throw as much as NE or most teams in the NFL. That is a good thing.
Lets see what happens when Braylon gets back.

• lyer
  • Veteran
alex isn't* making piss poor decisions like has in past seasons.

coaching has gotten us to 5-1, not doubt.
[ Edited by lyer on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM ]
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

ok merrill hodge
Originally posted by Wubbie:

This coaching staff has tailored its game plans to the opposing D habits, and what our players have a grasp on (in spite of Alex). Each week new wrinkles pop up and seem to catch the D off guard, so my answer is no to your assertion. Alex's play was off this week, but I'm pretty confident that they'll focus on this now that we actually have real coaches around.
Also, we have 2 TE's that foil most plans against Gore.
Biggest reason why this is working is because Hartsough had been rolling out the offense slowly. Every week we see something new he hasn't done before. He keeps teams on their tues.
Share 49ersWebzone