LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

In ALL Seriousness, Thank You Coach Singletary!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
Okay, I stand corrected ... As you are probably aware, statistics only tell part of any tale.
However, 18 games; his team(s) won 18 Games in 3.5 seasons. Never higher than 3rd in
the division:
4-12 (05), 7-9 (06), 5-11 (07), 2-5 (08)

So yes, the jump from 26th to 13th, was a BIG improvement; Kudos to him ... but then what happened?
I say, he lost the team, why, Bad HC. No, I don't have any MAGICAL formula. Sing going 15, and then
back to 13, isn't much of a difference either. Both coaches weren't offensive geniuses.

The Big Nickel to me, was just a Joke. As I stated, I AM GLAD HE IS GONE. I guess what's going on here,
is a matter of opinion, point of view, and how we view this topic of conversation. Bottom line; although I don't
totally agree with the OP, I see some merit in what he tried to convey ... you don't. So be it.

No big deal! I am seeing Singletary get credit for a team Nolan built--which is funny as it was not very impressive.
I agree with you. How do you guys not give Singletary any credit? As good as Willis is, Singeltary helped mold him to a stud/leader; and how bout bowman? Our LBS/Defense played hard for Singletary, and now it's second nature. We owe our D's success to Singletary, even carrying on to this year. However, he could not help our offense. It's a shame we couldn't just demote him to Defensive Coordinator.
Originally posted by SFranchise8081:
I agree with you. How do you guys not give Singletary any credit? As good as Willis is, Singeltary helped mold him to a stud/leader; and how bout bowman? Our LBS/Defense played hard for Singletary, and now it's second nature. We owe our D's success to Singletary, even carrying on to this year. However, he could not help our offense. It's a shame we couldn't just demote him to Defensive Coordinator.

Oh Gawd no!
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Misleading thread title. I thought I was going to come in here and read the OP saying thank you to Singletary for sucking so bad that we got Jim Harbaugh.

I thought the same thing.
Originally posted by SFranchise8081:

Manusky was a very successful LB coach in SD before joining the 9ers so I'm not sure how much you can credit Singletary for Willis' development.
Who gives a s**t! He's not our coach anymore! He picked a horrible staff to lead us. He sucked at x's and o's and it showed. LET'S NOT LOOK BACK AND LOOK FORWARD. Harbaugh and our 4-1 is making me forget how horrible we been in the last few years
thanks for sucking so that we could stock up on top 10 picks.
When football players play hard, its not due to the coaches, its because they are NFL football players. In my eyes, Sing gets credit for making Vernon see the game from a team perspective as opposed to an individual perspective. The success of the current squad is due to Harbaugh who makes this team unpredictable and therefore successful.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
When football players play hard, its not due to the coaches, its because they are NFL football players. In my eyes, Sing gets credit for making Vernon see the game from a team perspective as opposed to an individual perspective. The success of the current squad is due to Harbaugh who makes this team unpredictable and therefore successful.

Disagree about a coach's impact on player intensity, but your underlying premise is correct. If players understand, believe and accept their roles they can play at a higher level. Singletary was figured out very quickly, perhaps when he dropped his pants at half time? Not a good coach and you can bet the players knew that before we did! Harbaugh is focusing on the details...just what a coach is suppose to do.
Originally posted by amigoj49:
Coach Harbaugh has received a ton of praise for turning our team around. And yes, he deserves a lot of credit. But I look at our team and I see a bunch of PHYSICAL and HUNGRY players IN THE MOLD OF SINGLETARY.

We may not be talented as some of the super teams but we are playing with TENACITY and HEART. And for this, I can't think of anyone that deserves more credit than Coach Sing. I have a feeling that Sing is watching us on ESPN and feeling mighty proud. GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!

PS. Here is what coach Harbaugh did.... He started letting our PITBULL of a team listen to classical music!!

This team already had the talent and "Fysicallity" factor...To me, Sing destroyed the team by throwing everyone but himself under the bus. "I don't know, gotta watch the film." Player Sing+Bears= Pro Bowler, Coach Sing+Niners= Fail...

I will thank Singletary on how showing these players what happens when you dont prepare for the game, what happens when you dont adjust your gameplan, what happens when you stick with the same philosophy that doesent work in todays NFL
You know what? If you're going to thank Dingleberry, then you might as well give the same thanks and respect to NoWin for drafting Alex.

Harbaugh is making those "supposedly failed" drafts look pretty darn good. I look around and I see a lot of talent on this team that is suddenly playing up to its potential.
Singletary should thank Jim for showing him the correct way to build a ball control offense to compliment a stout defense. Mike probably watched the TB highlights and said to himself..."So that is how you make that work..why didn't I think of this?"
Thank you Mike Singletary for......

giving me irritable bowel syndrome, the hill, being such a dumb motherf**ker that ill always have a reason to smile
[ Edited by Baugh_Area on Oct 16, 2011 at 9:32 AM ]
Here is an excerpt from Mike Silver's article on Yahoo Sports about this topic:

Later, when I left the locker room and walked back onto the Candlestick grass toward the press-box elevator, I ran into 49ers radio analyst Eric Davis, who excelled in shutting down opposing receivers and feeding me tremendous insight during his playing career. E.D. proceeded to show he's still got it.

"Jim Harbaugh," Davis said, "is better at being Mike Singletary than Mike Singletary."

Davis laid out his premise, and it made a ton of sense: Singletary's mantra was that his team would develop a power running attack and play ball-control football, minimize mistakes and keep games close with a tough, bend-but-don't break defense. It sounded good, in theory. Harbaugh and his assistants, in 10 short weeks, have put it into practice.

That says it all about Harbaugh vs Singletary.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Oct 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone