LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

The Yes, Alex Smith is better than Steve Young Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TRUCKRATHMAN:
I don't believe he was one of the "all time greats" in terms of being a pure passer...but an all time great as a champion in the nfl ihe surely is...

TD-INT 232-107 Passing yards 33,124 QB Rating 96.8 Rushing Attempts 722 Rushing Yards 4,239 Rushing Touchdowns 43

232 TD passes, 33,124 yards, 96.8 career QB rating (second highest ever), most passing titles, most seasons with QB rating over 100, lead the league in TD passes 4 times. Those are some of his passing stats, his running was also tops at QB.

I truly hope Alex can have a better career than Steve did. Wouldn't that be great. We'd have another dynasty.

To say hes better though....

Didn't even have to read anything after the title to know this thread was garbage. Maybe you should just go back to reading, and not posting.
Should have said "CAN become" instead of is.
Originally posted by susweel:
This has to be THE WORST THREAD OF ALL TIME.

It ranks right up there with the "why is frank gore not trying" thread. WTF is wrong with these damn people???
The prerequisite in comparing a 49er Superbowl QB is to win a Superbowl. When Alex Smith wins a Superbowl for the 49ers, then we can have that comparison. It's only fair. Steve Young had to live under Joe Montana's shadows until he won in '94. Only then, did the Joe or Steve comparison become an interesting debate. I would love to see ANY QB get the 49ers another Lombardi trophy and would love to have an interesting comparison of Alex Smith to Steve Young to Joe Montana.
Cmon man! Alex has been great for 6 quarters and ur comparing him to Steve! This can't be serious!
If this thread was about Tolzien then I'd understand.
Alex is the GOAT!!!!
^

Alex Smith should be our third string QB, so everyone can bandwagon to have him be the starting QB, lol (I know you are being sarcastic ninerfan4life...I think...).

I don't think anyone would take you seriously even if you had some kind of projection for him over a span of 3 years given what little data we have on him under the new (and IMPROVED) Harbaugh era, but I applaud YOUR "gutsiness" in making this thread.

I certainly hope you are right and he leads us to (and through) a SB or two while having Rodgers-esque stats, .
Guys, this is great! I didnt expect anything less! I really love u guys and I SINCERELY hope you and the mods understand this is a legit thread!

All u guys and gals r 100% correct about smith not winning s**t so there's no comparison!...until this postseason...

And u know what u little critters?

I'm
stickin to my guns on this one....I'm buyin beers for all u guys and gals next home stand no matter who's right or wrong ok?

• 8to80
F Steve Young.
Hall of Fame my A.
Alex Smith all the way!
He carries the team on his shoulders.
He's better than Brady and Rodgers.
Best quarterback to ever play the game.
We need to sign him to a 13 year extension!
Need I say more?

Oh yea, forgot to say: DID NOT READ!
[ Edited by 8to80 on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM ]
Oh ya ...gotta remember steve young would have won at least 2 MORE superbowls with the right coaching...ahem*holmgrem cough cough* shanahan...lol...juss sayin!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdc49:
let the season unfold first, then the next, then the many ones after that, wow, this thread is gonna bit you in the a**

It can, but I'm not worried about it...I'm not a troll, not a homer but I just follow my gut and I'm stickin to it. I wouldn't throw myself out here for nothing u know..I know my football..just saying my piece and stickin to it
Look, all you guys know I don't post much if at all around here much. What I do is visit here every frickin day getting my latest 9ers news! When I have the chance, I love to hit up the forums and give my opinion on things 9er related but because there's usually more than one fellow fan that actually says what I feel, I just read on and laugh! Id LOVE to join in but I just don't have the time to do it all the time! Plus, I feel the LOVE and PASSION u guys have everyday for our team and I really don't feel like getting into any poo-slinging wars. I just want to talk ball in this thread.

With that said, I remember everything 9er football after 1980....I thought we should've kept montana longer. Now, I've always loved steve but he sure was frazzled easy....with that said, it took me awhile to warm up to him...

I've been thinking about how I should present this thread properly with the 9er standard of elegance and excellence with the stats to back it up! I don't have time right now but I sure will look into it! I hope more of u do as well

With all that said....I believe alex will accomplish much more than steve young within the next few years. Why? This is the debate...young was held back by seifert but because of the lockerroom, the offense was able to coach themselves...had the owners made holmgren or shanahan head coach earlier, we would've won at least 2 more superbowls...imo of course

After watching montana, young and smith so many times, I actually like smith the most...I know it sounds crazy but I just do...he's got the steve young smarts, the montana cool and smarter than both...better arm than both especially youngs. I love steve but his passing was horrid after the zone blitz was invented in the mid-late 90s(remember the panthers?)...thanks fanzio!

Anyways! Just puttting my entire football reputation on the line here by boldly stating alex smith will accomplish more in the nfl than steve young

I think this is a great thread to keep open throughout the 2011 season...

Let's keep it real even if the title doesn't sound like it is!....I honestly feel we have a great converstion piece here

You like Smith more than Montana and Young, you are too lazy to back this POS thread post with any facts or evidence supporting your argument, and you consider having a "football reputation"?? Are you s**ttin me?? You should be banned and never allowed to post another comment about a 49er EVERY AGAIN!
mental?
Share 49ersWebzone