LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Who would you rather have, Willis or Megatron ??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you rather have, Willis or Megatron ??

Willis hands down! no homer
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I see your point. I guess the question of this thread really depends on what kind of team you have set up at the moment.

If Willis was a Lion and Calvin was a Niner and that's the only changes what team improves and what team regresses? I'm not saying I have that answer, but it's an interesting thought.

I rather Willis is must a Niner... i am sure Willis will kill Calvin for hurt. Let Calvin know about Willis was a beast s**t and very good at Blitz rock!!
every 10 years or so a ray lewis or mike singletary comes along hall of famers and just plain difference makers on every single play.... and we got him PATRICK WILLIS. calvin is a great talent but their alot of very good wrs johnson, fitz, s. smith, and dez maybe crabs just to name a few.... can't really compare willis to any other middle linebackers in league right now.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Willis without even thinking twice about it. The leader of our defense and one of the best ILB's in the game.

I'd actually take Andre Johnson over Calvin Johnson.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I'd argue that Fitz used to be better, I think its the megatron show now, for the next few years. Same thing with andre johnson, isnt that dude hurt for like 4 games a year at minimum?

I think Fitz is a bit overrated because of the '08 playoff run. Great player (and that was a great run), don't get me wrong, but he is universally considered to be no worse than the 2nd best receiver in football and I don't even think he's top-5. Over the last 2 years, he hasn't even averaged 70 yards per game. And before you point out the crappy QB's throwing to him last year, that also includes '09 when Warner was throwing to him- and he actually had more yards last year than in '09. He's definitely not a big play receiver as in 5 of his 7 seasons he failed to record a single catch of 50 yards or more. He's never led the league in receiving yards and only once has he even been in the top-3. He's never had more than 1431 yards in a season. The following guys are not considered super duper elite yet each have had more than that in a single season (with worse QB's throwing to them): Brandon Lloyd, Steve Smith, Chad Ochocinco (twice), Santana Moss, etc. I do think he's a very good receiver, but still a bit overhyped. As for TD's, he's good in that department, but again, not out of control spectacular as he averages .6 per game over the course of his career. I'd be happier with A. Johnson, C. Johnson, Lloyd (if he can consistenly play as well as he did last year), White, Wallace, Bowe, Welker, etc.

As for Andre, in 5 of his first 7 seasons, he played in all 16 games- he's not as injury prone as you think.
Calvin Johnson.... anyone who says Patrick Willis "hands down" is clearly a homer. Calvin Johnson is the best young player in the NFL at wr (a position of top 5 importance). Patrick Willis is the best young player at a position that's not even in the top 10 of importance in today's NFL. Great inside linebackers are a dime a dozen (see just about any mlb selected in the first 2 rounds over the past 5 years), great wide receivers are not. Calvin Johnson would be the elite deep and red zone threat we lack and would vastly open up our offense. The difference between Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman is far less than the difference between Calvin Johnson and any wr on our roster.
The only guys who I feel you could make a really strong argument to take over Willis are Brady, Rodgers, and Brees.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Calvin Johnson.... anyone who says Patrick Willis "hands down" is clearly a homer. Calvin Johnson is the best young player in the NFL at wr (a position of top 5 importance). Patrick Willis is the best young player at a position that's not even in the top 10 of importance in today's NFL. Great inside linebackers are a dime a dozen (see just about any mlb selected in the first 2 rounds over the past 5 years), great wide receivers are not. Calvin Johnson would be the elite deep and red zone threat we lack and would vastly open up our offense. The difference between Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman is far less than the difference between Calvin Johnson and any wr on our roster.

I'd take Willis. That said, if Megatron was a niner and Willis was a Lion, I bet I'd probably pick Megatron. The truth is they are both dominant players at very important positions, and almost impossible to gauge one's value compared to the other's. Any team in the NFL would be extremely lucky to have either one of them, and it just so happens that we have PatWillis Prime and they have Megatron.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Oct 13, 2011 at 10:03 PM ]

Look at recent Super Bowl winners. Almost all of them had a better linebacker than #1 receiver. Matthews>Jennings, Vilma>Coltson, Harrison>Holmes, Pierce>Plaxico, etc. Other than last year, it's been a little while since the Super Bowl champion had a top-5 WR. I don't even know when the last time the league's leading receiver won a ring.

everything u said is based on your crazy thoughts, who says middle lineback isn't important??? u need a good one to stop the run. and a dime a dozen i don't think so. please i would like for u name a few..... please especially the ones u said were selected in the 2nd round. and this navarro talk has got to stop the guy is have a really good season this year, willis a 3 time pro bowler, and every team game plans against the guy so of course navarro looks good.
No offense to calvin johnson, he is a stud wr but id pick patrick willis all day every day! Just wished he wore his college number in the pros as a niner! 49 but 52 definately works.

dime a dozen huh
As much as I love Willis and I do, I am also a huge Georgia Tech fan so I hate to say it but my dream was for Calvin Johnson to become a niner so I got to go Megatron by a smidge.
All the talk about CJ's production is missing the boat, in my opinion. No one who picks Megatron in this thread (like me) is denying that guys like Welker and Bowe and Andre are capable of similar numbers. The reason you pick Megatron is because the huge edge he holds over those guys is an edge not easily quantifiable in terms of yards and receptions, though looking at TDs comes closer. His edge is what he is capable of on any given play or any given series. Defenses are literally powerless to stop this guy. I'm surprised he doesn't score three TDs per game.

And to the guy a few pages back who said "maybe in a few years Megatron will become Moss on steroids and we will revisit this discussion," I ask you: What more do you need to see?
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Oct 14, 2011 at 2:05 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone