LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

How come Sing played Chilo for years and Harbaugh figured it out within a few weeks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Chilo was actually considered a very good prospect by most draft analysts. They even went so far to say that if he stayed in college for his senior year he would be an early fisrst round pick.

As it turned out they were wrong. As was Mike Mayock when he was drooling over JaMarcus Russell .
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Chilo was actually considered a very good prospect by most draft analysts. They even went so far to say that if he stayed in college for his senior year he would be an early fisrst round pick.

As it turned out they were wrong. As was Mike Mayock when he was drooling over JaMarcus Russell .

They were actually right about Chilo. Had he stayed...he would have been a much more polished player physically and mentally than when he was drafted here. You saw some flashes of what he could do, but because he just wasn't quite ready for NFL competition, his confidence was shot and never quite regained. Staying in school could have helped prevent that from happening.

But only speculation...

I still would not have taken Desean Jackson instead as has been talked about ad nausem since draft day.

My pick would have been Quentin Groves...who I think has been wasted as a 4-3 DE his entire career. He should have been a star at 3-4 OLB...sometimes it really depends on who drafts you.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

They were actually right about Chilo. Had he stayed...he would have been a much more polished player physically and mentally than when he was drafted here. You saw some flashes of what he could do, but because he just wasn't quite ready for NFL competition, his confidence was shot and never quite regained. Staying in school could have helped prevent that from happening.

But only speculation...

I still would not have taken Desean Jackson instead as has been talked about ad nausem since draft day.

My pick would have been Quentin Groves...who I think has been wasted as a 4-3 DE his entire career. He should have been a star at 3-4 OLB...sometimes it really depends on who drafts you.

Which was the worse pick that year, though, Balmer or Rachal?
Originally posted by mkmasn:

Balmer...and its not even close.

Melvin Oliver had more promise as a 6th rounder than Balmer ever had at 28 overall.

I actually had some hope for him to start because he had good size and strength and we needed more of that on the dline at the time...but he just wasn't into football and it showed early.
I think 2009, Singletary's full year and first draft as HC is particularly telling.

Crabtree, Rd 1. Traded Rd 2. Glen Coffee, Rd 3. Traded Rd 4.

I understand stockpiling picks, but when you're coming off a 7-9 season, might you need to be active in the draft?
Originally posted by reasonable1:

Balmer...and its not even close.

Melvin Oliver had more promise as a 6th rounder than Balmer ever had at 28 overall.

I actually had some hope for him to start because he had good size and strength and we needed more of that on the dline at the time...but he just wasn't into football and it showed early.

Forgot... Reggie Smith was that draft too.

Round 1, Kentwan Balmer. Round 2, Chilo Rachal. Round 3, Reggie Smith.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
A lot bash Singletary but I will say that the Niners D was sick and ferocious when he was there. They fought like savages against top teams and I respect that. As far as offense he didnt have a clue but he didn't discriminate. He tested all the waters and theres no better evaluation than a real pro game to show what you got. He knew we weren't ready for The Big One just yet, but he said heck lets see what you can do and you and you and I really liked that. When he said he would punch the team in the mouth we really did. For the team we had we did pretty darn good.

Harbaugh inherited Singletary's team... then went 13-3 with no offseason. So "pretty darn good" probably isn't the right phrase to use here...
Really? So Rogers,Whitner, Jonnanthan Goodwin,Culliver and Hunter and Aldon Smith were inherited ? These guys made a huge impact as opposed to Clements, Reggie Smith and Dixon. Chilo bumped, Bowman starting, great coaching no doubt, but lets not act like we weren't competitive for the group we were working with.

Don't get so defensive.

On a team of 22 starters, those six names only replaced three. Three of those replacements stepped into a top 10 defense. Two are backups. One is arguably the weakest link on our OL. Dixon is still on the team. That's not really building from scratch, that's inheriting.

Our biggest problem was on the offensive side of the ball. More specifically, the offensive play calling. Because the majority of the offense was also inherited. And with good coaching, an inherited team went 13-3 as opposed to 6-10 in 2010, which is not very competitive, especially considering we were 8-8 the year before.
In no way defensive. I just don't agree with you. Harbaugh is a great coach but he did not inherit the same team. Harbaugh with the help of Baalke completely transformed this team and organization. Dixon is third tier now. Aldon is starting due to injury but was bound to start. Cully, Rogers, Goodwin and Whitner are starting sooooo. Staley is a weak link as well. They both aren't consistent. Those who were replaced and who were garbage are mostly gone(Madieu Williams,Troy and Reggie Smith,Snyder,Mays,Lewis,Franklin,Clements,Spencer,Will James).Sure we didn't build from scratch ? Maybe we need to define inherit.
inherited a top 10 defense = acquiring a defense and replacing a minimal amount of starters with talent from outside the organization

inherited an offense = acquiring an offense and replacing a minimal amount of starters with talent from outside the organization

The difference is, we had a good defense for quite some time, but always were lacking on the offensive side of the ball with OC changes every year. Harbaugh and Baalke took a team which were coming off a 6-10 season in a year we were supposed to win the division, and turned us into a powerhouse, with no off season.
Can't believe someone resurrected this thread........,,,,
Harbaugh and Co. also figured out early on that Sapoago was a better nose tackle than Franklin and Boone can play guard at a very high level. Who would have thought?

Why does this thread keep coming back?
Is he playing for them? I hope he is starting....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Is he playing for them? I hope he is starting....

he is starting, he will be going up against Justin and Aldon
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Why does this thread keep coming back?

Cause we're playing Chilo tonight maybe?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Can't believe someone resurrected this thread........,,,,

i think the correct word your looking for is exhumed
Share 49ersWebzone