LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

How come Sing played Chilo for years and Harbaugh figured it out within a few weeks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFVNiner:
Just about the way i feel every time fans talk about Sing... a lot of non 9er fans always seem to give him credit for shaping up Vernon, but I'm not sure about that. This was the coach who didn't know what to do with Bear Pascoe (Fresno State fan here) and he turned out ok.

Sing was a horrible coach... one of the worst I've seen in 40 years of watching football.... the only one worse might be Mike Nolan.... Most fans will remember Nolan actually considered using Chilo as an OT! Imagine that disaster!

Vernon give Sing credit for turning around his me first attitude. Can't argue with that. No one has ever said they liked him or wanted him as their HC though.
Beware the Chilo
I think Chilo is doing OK for the Bears on the left side. Maybe Chilo straighten up and up his game since being let go.

But wait.... he's going to go against Justin Smith and Aldon Smith Monday .... Jason Campbell-- concussed.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think Chilo is doing OK for the Bears on the left side. Maybe Chilo straighten up and up his game since being let go.

But wait.... he's going to go against Justin Smith and Aldon Smith Monday .... Jason Campbell-- concussed.

Lol Calleb Haiine to ze resuce
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Lol Calleb Haiine to ze resuce

Josh McCown actually, but same diff.
sing went from linebackers coach to assistant head coach to head coach in a short period of time. Singletary was never ready for a head coaching job, IMHO

Having said that, I think the blame lies with the person who wanted to DRAFT Chilo. Scotty McC???

I doubt Singletary was responsible for drafting Chilo. Also, each position coach is responsible to prepare and evaluate their respective positions or unit that they coach.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
sing went from linebackers coach to assistant head coach to head coach in a short period of time. Singletary was never ready for a head coaching job, IMHO

Having said that, I think the blame lies with the person who wanted to DRAFT Chilo. Scotty McC???

I doubt Singletary was responsible for drafting Chilo. Also, each position coach is responsible to prepare and evaluate their respective positions or unit that they coach.

To be fair, the draft is a lottery and everybody makes mistakes. Nolan and Singletary didn't seem to learn from them, though. Chilo is a great example.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

To be fair, the draft is a lottery and everybody makes mistakes. Nolan and Singletary didn't seem to learn from them, though. Chilo is a great example.

But what i'm saying is, Singletary was never qualified, IMO, to make that decision. He was given these set of players, and the Offensive line coach at the time should also help evalute each player's performance for every game, and advise Singletary. What i'm saying is, we don't know if it was Singletary, who is solely responsible for Chilo's performance, his selection, or the firm decision to keep playing Chilo hoping one day he'll break out?

I guess the 1st blame goes to the head coach, as he is the most visible to us fans.
I hope we take advantage of this match up tomorrow.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I hope we take advantage of this match up tomorrow.

This. Aldon/Justin should be all over this match up.

I think Sing got his jollies off of trying to turn chicken shti into chicken salad.
A lot bash Singletary but I will say that the Niners D was sick and ferocious when he was there. They fought like savages against top teams and I respect that. As far as offense he didnt have a clue but he didn't discriminate. He tested all the waters and theres no better evaluation than a real pro game to show what you got. He knew we weren't ready for The Big One just yet, but he said heck lets see what you can do and you and you and I really liked that. When he said he would punch the team in the mouth we really did. For the team we had we did pretty darn good.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
A lot bash Singletary but I will say that the Niners D was sick and ferocious when he was there. They fought like savages against top teams and I respect that. As far as offense he didnt have a clue but he didn't discriminate. He tested all the waters and theres no better evaluation than a real pro game to show what you got. He knew we weren't ready for The Big One just yet, but he said heck lets see what you can do and you and you and I really liked that. When he said he would punch the team in the mouth we really did. For the team we had we did pretty darn good.

Harbaugh inherited Singletary's team... then went 13-3 with no offseason. So "pretty darn good" probably isn't the right phrase to use here...
Originally posted by mkmasn:

Harbaugh inherited Singletary's team... then went 13-3 with no offseason. So "pretty darn good" probably isn't the right phrase to use here...
Really? So Rogers,Whitner, Jonnanthan Goodwin,Culliver and Hunter and Aldon Smith were inherited ? These guys made a huge impact as opposed to Clements, Reggie Smith and Dixon. Chilo bumped, Bowman starting, great coaching no doubt, but lets not act like we weren't competitive for the group we were working with.
Originally posted by mkmasn:

Really? So Rogers,Whitner, Jonnanthan Goodwin,Culliver and Hunter and Aldon Smith were inherited ? These guys made a huge impact as opposed to Clements, Reggie Smith and Dixon. Chilo bumped, Bowman starting, great coaching no doubt, but lets not act like we weren't competitive for the group we were working with.

Don't get so defensive.

On a team of 22 starters, those six names only replaced three. Three of those replacements stepped into a top 10 defense. Two are backups. One is arguably the weakest link on our OL. Dixon is still on the team. That's not really building from scratch, that's inheriting.

Our biggest problem was on the offensive side of the ball. More specifically, the offensive play calling. Because the majority of the offense was also inherited. And with good coaching, an inherited team went 13-3 as opposed to 6-10 in 2010, which is not very competitive, especially considering we were 8-8 the year before.
Share 49ersWebzone