LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

2007 -- We've seen this before

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
YES WE HAVE seen this before, a thread that refers to the past!

Deja moo: the eerie feeling you've seen this bull before.
The Eagles are going to pass all over our DBs. If you thought that the Cowboys had wide open receivers and our DBs looked like high school kids, then get ready to have your socks knocked off. You will turn your tv off in the 3rd quarter and go rake leaves, repair the steps on your deck, or change the oil in your car. If you thought last weeks game was ugly and frustrating . . . just wait until Sunday. We do not defense screen passes very well at all. Philly is great at running screen passes. They probably won't run 10 times in the first half. When they get their 21 point lead they will start running more to use up the clock. Our DBs are going to look like clowns covering Philly's WRs. Plan on going out to dinner with friends Sunday night so you will have something enjoyable to do on Sunday and the whole day will not be a waste.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Lets go back to 2007.

The 49ers win their first two games vs. the Cardinals (MNF) and @ the Rams.

We finish those games with a COMBINED 380 yards for a 2 game average of 190 yards/game. Alex Smith throws for a paltry 252 yards (with 0 TDs 0 INTs) COMBINED in both games for a 126 yards/game average. TERRIBLE. Worst offense in football, by far.

Everyone on the WZ rejoices at how awesome of a year it's going to be and how great a job Alex is doing.

Unfortunately, the seeds were being planted for a giant beatdown for the rest of the year.

I can't predict how bad/good we would have been if Rocky Bernard didn't destroy Alex Smith, but clearly our offense was a giant s**tshow that entire year and nobody can make an argument that Alex was going to do any better than Dilfer (and he sure as hell wasn't going to do better than Shaun Hill).

The point I'm making is this: this is fools gold. Our 2-1 record is not allowing us to see how terrible we actually are on offense right now. I can only hope that the coaches can see this.

If not, get ready for another losing season.

I agree we have seen this movie before and the ending is not good. Hopefully with a new coaching staff they can make improvements.
offense improved from ugly to not as ugly over the first three games.

2007 was suck... we still suck... wtf we still suck..... F*CK now trent dilfer is in.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

2007 was suck... we still suck... wtf we still suck..... F*CK now trent dilfer is in.

haha, we kind of have the opposite of Trent Dilfer as our backup now.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
The Eagles are going to pass all over our DBs. If you thought that the Cowboys had wide open receivers and our DBs looked like high school kids, then get ready to have your socks knocked off. You will turn your tv off in the 3rd quarter and go rake leaves, repair the steps on your deck, or change the oil in your car. If you thought last weeks game was ugly and frustrating . . . just wait until Sunday. We do not defense screen passes very well at all. Philly is great at running screen passes. They probably won't run 10 times in the first half. When they get their 21 point lead they will start running more to use up the clock. Our DBs are going to look like clowns covering Philly's WRs. Plan on going out to dinner with friends Sunday night so you will have something enjoyable to do on Sunday and the whole day will not be a waste.
Eagles fans are not welcome so get the F@@# out!
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:

opposite in experience.

.....i dunno about talent level.
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:

opposite in experience.

.....i dunno about talent level.

Opposite in talent level of what you know. We knew what we'd get with Dilf, have no idea with Kap. + opposite styles. Admit it, Kap is Dilfs evil twin
  • Hek49
  • Veteran
I don't we had a top 5 defense back in '07 either. . remember we're 3 points in overtime away from being 3-0.
Lets go back to 2007.

We finish those games with a COMBINED 380 yards for a 2 game average of 190 yards/game. Alex Smith throws for a paltry 252 yards (with 0 TDs 0 INTs) COMBINED in both games for a 126 yards/game average. TERRIBLE. Worst offense in football, by far.

Everyone on the WZ rejoices at how awesome of a year it's going to be and how great a job Alex is doing.

Unfortunately, the seeds were being planted for a giant beatdown for the rest of the year.

I can't predict how bad/good we would have been if Rocky Bernard didn't destroy Alex Smith, but clearly our offense was a giant s**tshow that entire year and nobody can make an argument that Alex was going to do any better than Dilfer (and he sure as hell wasn't going to do better than Shaun Hill).

The point I'm making is this: this is fools gold. Our 2-1 record is not allowing us to see how terrible we actually are on offense right now. I can only hope that the coaches can see this.

Our defense wasn't nearly as good back then. We have an excellent rush defense and we have a lot more weapons on offense. If the offensive line can get going versus the Eagles crappy rush defense we will do fine.

We were playing the Super Bowl Champs Seahawks when things fell apart in 2007. We have Mike Nolan and a terrible defense.

Now we have a lot of top draft picks in our offensive line, our wideouts are different, Vernon Davis, Gore etc. Common now

Originally posted by freetworhyme:
Lets go back to 2007.

Our defense wasn't nearly as good back then. We have an excellent rush defense and we have a lot more weapons on offense. If the offensive line can get going versus the Eagles crappy rush defense we will do fine.

We were playing the Super Bowl Champs Seahawks when things fell apart in 2007. We have Mike Nolan and a terrible defense.

Now we have a lot of top draft picks in our offensive line, our wideouts are different, Vernon Davis, Gore etc. Common now

Off a year. Seahawks were defending champs in the 2006 season.
.. This is a stretch. I get the point -- don't get your hopes up too much, and that's fine. But if you're saying because we failed in 2007, we're going to fail now, that's a massive assumption to make and almost completely baseless.

The coaches, players, circumstances, schedules, and a number of other factors are different making the seasons uncomparable.

You can say the 2-1 start with low offensive output is the same, but when that's all you've got, it's just not enough.

*The 2007 49ers were ranked 25th in total defense. The 2011 49ers are currently ranked 7th.
*The 2007 49ers had scored 53 points over the first three games. The 2011 49ers scored more than that in their first two, and have scored 70 points over three games.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
You must not spend any time in the Alex Smith threads if you think people don't believe our offense is running well with him at the helm. And sorry, I know that the lockout is a legitimate excuse, but I don't see that as the main problem. The main problem is the playcalling and lack of production from the OL/QB.

In any case, I agree with you and I'm not giving up on the idea that our offense can get better. Just not going to be surprised if this offense remains in neutral, that's all.

I spend time in the Alex Smith threads and the overwhelming sentiment is that the offense is not playing well, but he is not the primary reason for its lack of production this year. But somehow that point of view always seems to get distorted in to Alex Smith is the best QB evar. It's untrue and the characterization of the opinion is inaccurate.
I get how it looks and where people are coming from about how bad our offense is. Is does look the same and if we don't continue to make adjustments we will have another long season. I believe our team this year will be a lot better for many reasons though. I think our D is tough and will keep us in most games. They got burned in the Dallas game I think they were in position to make some picks and the secondary just whiffed. Baltimore for years was a tough team before they got Flacco and in his early years. They were a low scoring team with a stout D that kept them in every game. I don't think our D is there yet but most of our games are winnable and the most important games to win is our division games against weak teams.
I also think that Harbs and Comp. will do much better at exploiting other teams weaknesses and hiding our own. Creating mismatches that we need to generate enough points to win. In 2007 and every other year it was run, run, and a 3 yard pass on 3rd and long. It looks the same at times this year but we do not have so many 3 and outs. Alex does pick up some first downs to give the D a break. If the Oline can get better at the run game than it will probably just lead to more fieldgoals and greater time of possession. I think some people believe that with a good Oline Alex is going to sprout a cannon of an arm and throw for 300 yards a game. Not going to happen! We will be better this year because we will make less mistakes and control the game. At the end of the year though, just about every game will be close. If things fall our way we could be 10-6 or 9-7(again, extremely weak division). If they don't go our way I think we still end up at 7-9 or 8-8. Offense this year does look just as bad but the Oline has to block better so Harbs can use up more of the clock and generate more points off of play-action.
Originally posted by Otter:
You must not spend any time in the Alex Smith threads if you think people don't believe our offense is running well with him at the helm. And sorry, I know that the lockout is a legitimate excuse, but I don't see that as the main problem. The main problem is the playcalling and lack of production from the OL/QB.

In any case, I agree with you and I'm not giving up on the idea that our offense can get better. Just not going to be surprised if this offense remains in neutral, that's all.

I spend time in the Alex Smith threads and the overwhelming sentiment is that the offense is not playing well, but he is not the primary reason for its lack of production this year. But somehow that point of view always seems to get distorted in to Alex Smith is the best QB evar. It's untrue and the characterization of the opinion is inaccurate.

This x a bazillion.
Share 49ersWebzone