There are 164 users in the forums

Harbaugh Calls Smith "Game Manager"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Let me just ask this - the Alex Haters are doing everything they can to find ways to prove he is still the worst QB in the league and HE is what is holding this team back - but besides Vernon who the heck is he suppose to be throwing to - just maybe do you think it is the people CATCHING the ball Harbaugh is not confident in? Vernon is the only one that goes over the middle and does not develop alligator arms when D player closes in - seriously Braylon could be good but he is out Crabtree gets a bruise and goes down - Morgan has okay hands but no speed to get open.

A huge part of the reason Alex doesn't push the ball down the field - none of our receiver's can get down the field and be open - now he could throw it up and hope the receiver makes a play (like Stafford to Calvin Johnson) but we have no playmaker's in the offense. Ginn has mediocre hands and runs poopy routes on GOOD days - We have no one like a welker that can make the catch over the middle and turn it on - it is a huge disadvantage.

Alex is not blowing anything up but Alex Smith is not the reason this season that the offense is struggling or doing just enough to WIN - that is our severe lack of a receiving core and the regression of the Offensive line that is the problem.

Then why is it that he can push it down the field when he needs to?

It's funny how Davis sucks because he isn't making plays. Then we decided to target him and he has 8 catches for 114 yards.

Everyone loves to talk about the Crabs drop, but what about Smiths laser to the dirt when he scrambled out of the pocket?

I promise you this unless our defense plays like its top five, no way we beat a good team with Alex.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Why is there such an obvious double standard? Why is it that when things go wrong it's everybody but Alex? Yet, at the end of the game when he is desperate to score all the s**tty players he has at his disposal get the job done? The Oline is the same, the WRs are the same, the TEs are the same, the RBs are the same. The only diffrence? Alex Smith decided that he has no choice but to throw the f**king ball. Get a grip people and take the blinders off.

My friend I am willing to bet you (guarantee) that in this draft Harbaugh will pick O-line #1 and then lightning fast Wide Receivers.

At the end of the game Smith delivered because some of the play calls were genius. Quick throws and Isolation plays to Nate Clements side and Oh, man that TE throw back to Vernon Davis, and finally a power run on the left side that sealed it.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by gamechanger:
This is why I hate the zone. These types of threads make it really hard to come to this forum

You just have to take them at face value, I personally got a chuckle from Blake's comical spinjob.

Yep, use it for comic relief and thank god your brain doesn't work that way.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
^
did Brady have these big receivers who could jump up and bring the ball down during their first SuperBowl win......these "playmakers"

or did Brady put the ball where his receivers can catch it, while still being defended? Alex has shown he can do it, here and there....pass to Williams and pass to Crabtree in the endzone.

I say we do that more early on.

Troy Brown was a legitimate number 1 receiver with speed great hands and made plays - Kevin Faulk was solid out of the backfield as well - something we don't have - Crabtree MIGHT be that but he can't stay on the field long enough for anyone to be sure - If we had Braylon Edwards and Crabtree at full strength we would have killed Cinci - and probably beat Dallas. Both of those guys could run slants over the middle (quick delivery high producing routes) that would force teams to back of the blitz packages and give the O line a break.

We don't have it
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
My friend I am willing to bet you (guarantee) that in this draft Harbaugh will pick O-line #1 and then lightning fast Wide Receivers.

At the end of the game Smith delivered because some of the play calls were genius. Quick throws and Isolation plays to Nate Clements side and Oh, man that TE throw back to Vernon Davis, and finally a power run on the left side that sealed it.

I'm not talking about one game, I'm talking about the last few years. And I would hardly call the play calling genius.

P.S. Why wouldn't he pick an Oline and lighting fast recievers, he already grabbed the bigger priority this year, QB....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM ]
while we do rank last in offense we are 14th in pts per game averaging 23 and the defense ranked 7th while allowing 17 with alex being the 13th ranked qb. the team is 2-1 what else could be expected
  • Jiks
^
did Brady have these big receivers who could jump up and bring the ball down during their first SuperBowl win......these "playmakers"

or did Brady put the ball where his receivers can catch it, while still being defended? Alex has shown he can do it, here and there....pass to Williams and pass to Crabtree in the endzone.

Tom Brady also had a very very good defense, and oline, and he stepped into an already settled offense and such. The Patriots were still a pretty good team that Brady inherited when Drew Bledsoe was injured. This is nothing like Alex's circumstance.
Then why is it that he can push it down the field when he needs to?

It's funny how Davis sucks because he isn't making plays. Then we decided to target him and he has 8 catches for 114 yards.

Everyone loves to talk about the Crabs drop, but what about Smiths laser to the dirt when he scrambled out of the pocket?

I promise you this unless our defense plays like its top five, no way we beat a good team with Alex.

Because Cincy went into Prevent type defense at the end of the game - soft zone with relying on LB to cover Davis who is a Beast - Basically the middle of the field was open and because they had the extra DB's back no one to double cover AND Harbaugh admitted they had been working on designing plays specifically to get Vernon open and JUST installed them.

Crabs has alot of talent and could be a number one but he has not been on the field long enough to establish anything - And pointing out ONE play that Alex was running for his life AGAIN and put it in the dirt does nothing to prove your point.

Let's me be clear Alex is not lighting the world up and has yet to prove if he can be anything but a stop gap QB - but he is being effective he is responding well to coaching - (like when Norv was here) his mechanics are getting better - You guys have to realize this coaching staff inherited an offense that was literally ignored and treated as 2nd class citizens with 5th class coaches for 5 years - there is alot of catch up the players and staff are doing.

Alex and Vernon are frankly doing better in this process than anyone else on that side of the ball.
I'm not talking about one game, I'm talking about the last few years. And I would hardly call the play calling genius.

P.S. Why wouldn't he pick an Oline and lighting fast recievers, he already grabbed the bigger priority this year, QB....

I said this before, Alex, has NEVER had a top O-line or a top Wide Receiver. And, all his former coaches were Defensive minded rookie head coaches. Harbaugh is an offensive minded experienced Head coach. He built it the right way at Stanford big athletic O-linemen and power running game and look how Luck has benefited from it, top QB.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Tom Brady also had a very very good defense, and oline, and he stepped into an already settled offense and such. The Patriots were still a pretty good team that Brady inherited when Drew Bledsoe was injured. This is nothing like Alex's circumstance.

Exactly.

The bread and butter of the Patriots has always been their O-line and Superb defense.
Brady never gets touched.

• Jiks
Harbaugh-"Alex managed the game well"
NT- "no he didn't."
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
^

I think we have a pretty good team....great special teams and a good defense, that can be great (if the offense helps them out).

I don't think our approach is helping us out....or at least will help us out against good teams. Brady and company would spread defenses out, and Brady would do a good job getting rid of the ball before a defender could get to him.

We are not going to change our whole Offensive line....imo we might as well adjust to it. Help it out. Call plays that keeps teams from stacking the box. Make them pay for blitzing. Spread them out. Get Williams on the field, throw quick slants to him. Call reverses to Ginn. Something to keep the defense thinking. Something to keep them from run blitzing us all the time.
Originally posted by Sugatis: You guys have to realize this coaching staff inherited an offense that was literally ignored and treated as 2nd class citizens with 5th class coaches for 5 years - there is alot of catch up the players and staff are doing.

Alex and Vernon are frankly doing better in this process than anyone else on that side of the ball.

Exactly.
Because Cincy went into Prevent type defense at the end of the game - soft zone with relying on LB to cover Davis who is a Beast - Basically the middle of the field was open and because they had the extra DB's back no one to double cover AND Harbaugh admitted they had been working on designing plays specifically to get Vernon open and JUST installed them.

Crabs has alot of talent and could be a number one but he has not been on the field long enough to establish anything - And pointing out ONE play that Alex was running for his life AGAIN and put it in the dirt does nothing to prove your point.

Let's me be clear Alex is not lighting the world up and has yet to prove if he can be anything but a stop gap QB - but he is being effective he is responding well to coaching - (like when Norv was here) his mechanics are getting better - You guys have to realize this coaching staff inherited an offense that was literally ignored and treated as 2nd class citizens with 5th class coaches for 5 years - there is alot of catch up the players and staff are doing.

Then you and me agree. That's why I get so annoyed when people start heaping praises on the guy like he's all world. All these threads about Smiths deceptive passer rating make me..... I'd be totally cool if we just let him play his game and took it for what it was, but having a bunch of guys on this board trying to convince me/us that some how he is a very good qb

Then you and me agree. That's why I get so annoyed when people start heaping praises on the guy like he's all world. All these threads about Smiths deceptive passer rating make me..... I'd be totally cool if we just let him play his game and took it for what it was, but having a bunch of guys on this board trying to convince me/us that some how he is a very good qb just pisses me off....

I think I'm ready to be banned (At least for a couple months). I like a lot of guys on here, but the collective herd mentality is getting to me.
Share 49ersWebzone