There are 140 users in the forums

"Developing the offense" my a$$

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by merm49:
As others have said, I too agree with the original post 100%. Now, there are a variety of factors why our O has been so poor thus far (general weariness about Alex Smith, poor OL play and rampant miscommunications, etc) but it really is embarrassing to see a bunch of other teams with either past their prime QBs (Hasslebeck) or rookies (Newton and Dalton) throwing the ball around and looking great doing it.

A lot of this boils down to our scheme so far. I understand why Harbaugh may want to hold back a bit--the reasons cited above plus the abbreviated offseason--but we need to open up the offense and play to win instead of playing not to lose. Smith has actually played best when operating out of a spread formation, or at least allowed to throw the ball downfield. I believe that, though the group may lack an outright superstar, our pass catching corps is, top to bottom, among the most talented in the league: Crabtree, Edwards, Morgan, Ginn at WR plus Davis and Walker are very solid, the most talented group on O, and need to be exploited as such.

All in all, I'm tired of watching piss-poor offensive play coupled with a scheme designed not to lose the game rather than trying to go out there and actually win it. It's embarrassing, especially when a bunch of other teams with similar questions on offense are playing well, or at least exciting.

I love the Niners and always will. I truly enjoy watching the games and try to see every single one each year. That said, I find myself having more 'fun' watching games of other teams with good, attacking offenses. I'm willing to give Harbaugh time, but he needs to drop the Nolan/Hostler/Singletary/Raye approach quickly. Outside of QB, we have the skill position players to be dangerous on O...and I think Smith can be a serviceable QB if given the chance.

I have a feeling Harbaugh is going with the baby steps due to the schedule. I don't think he expects us to beat DAL, PHI, ...next 3 games but does expect us to win after those games. What other perfect scenario to have to keep it basic and bring the offense along and ready for the home stretch of "easy" teams. If you don't think he has already noted the number of expected wins this year, then think again because Walsh did that and I'm sure Harbaugh knows which games he can win or lose.
Originally posted by 49erz4eva:
I wish we took Aaron Rodgers argggggghhhh

If youre going to wish, wish for a healthy family and lots of money.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by gamechanger:
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I understand that, but maybe Alex should change some plays at the line and improvise a little bit, he clearly can see a defense blitzing why don't he change the play and make them pay? It's what "great" quarterbacks do but Alex will never be great like that, he's definitely playing good, but he's not great...yet.

In Harbaugh I trust.
No fear of Alex = 8 men in box = Alex doesn't make them pay = more blitzes..... etc, etc.

Alex made the Cowboys pay twice, the TD to Williams and the TD to Walker! Watch the games.

There are four quarters in a game and I watched them all.

I agree, Alex needs to make those plays in crucial times when it counts most, like in OT, but instead we punted.

Can't deny he's making progress though!
  • dmax
  • Veteran
the oline needs work,we will go only as far as "it" will take us
I agree, Alex needs to make those plays in crucial times when it counts most, like in OT, but instead we punted.

I will give you a prime example, the Dallas team has 3, DL lined up over the left side of the OL, with only 1 DE holding down the fort on the r4ight side. I was screaming at my TV, please run to the right, if you beat only 1 player you get big yards. Alex did not audible, Gore ran right into the Mike Iupatis arse and the niners got 18 inches in a pile of dust. Heck Smith could have faked the hand off to Gore and ran himself for 5-10 yards.
Dallas with all of their injuries was ripe for the picking. Only trouble was . . . we played to not lose which means you almost always lose.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Dallas with all of their injuries was ripe for the picking. Only trouble was . . . we played to not lose which means you almost always lose.

To be fair man, were were pretty banged up too. Top two receivers, free safety, starting corner.
Originally posted by 9erred:

I will give you a prime example, the Dallas team has 3, DL lined up over the left side of the OL, with only 1 DE holding down the fort on the r4ight side. I was screaming at my TV, please run to the right, if you beat only 1 player you get big yards. Alex did not audible, Gore ran right into the Mike Iupatis arse and the niners got 18 inches in a pile of dust. Heck Smith could have faked the hand off to Gore and ran himself for 5-10 yards.

That's a great example of how he could've carried the team to a win, he can't be afraid to use his instincts and change a play to their advantage, I mean he's had the playbook before anyone, he needs to orchestrate the unit!

Farve used to change the plays all the time and piss of Holmgren, but when they work, no one can argue.
Originally posted by Joecool:
If Alex is getting rocked on his ass in the 2nd half of games then I'm sure it is in his best interest to throw a slant route vs that coverage. I don't see how NOT doing this helps Alex while he's taking hits.

Alex is completing passes and not making soul crushing mistakes, this will help him gain a little swagger, hopefully some balls, wich he will then use to confront JH and demand to be let lose, then the student is ready to become the master lol
That must be Harbaugh's intent all along. And he needs to do it on the sideline like Young vs Seifert. Then all of the Offensive players will rally around Alex. Harbaugh is a genius.

So you feel Alex was to blame for Goodwin letting Ratliff right up the middle for the 2nd down sack? And then Ginn ran the comeback 1 yard shy of the marker and still juggled the ball enough to not get his feet in for the 1st?

{ sigh }
Originally posted by oldman9er:

So you feel Alex was to blame for Goodwin letting Ratliff right up the middle for the 2nd down sack? And then Ginn ran the comeback 1 yard shy of the marker and still juggled the ball enough to not get his feet in for the 1st?

{ sigh }

Oline giving up sacks are definitely things he can't control, but perhaps on that Ginn play when he ran a short comback route, maybe Alex could've changed a play or audibled another route instead of a comeback route, imo comeback routes aren't the most popular routes to run on 3rd and long, but perhaps it was the "safer read" and less risky throw
Originally posted by oldman9er:

{ sigh }

Oline giving up sacks are definitely things he can't control, but perhaps on that Ginn play when he ran a short comback route, maybe Alex could've changed a play or audibled another route instead of a comeback route, imo comeback routes aren't the most popular routes to run on 3rd and long, but perhaps it was the "safer read" and less risky throw

So now it's Smith's fault his receiver didn't run his route deep enough? Oh I know he should have known that was going to happen before it actually happened and audibled to deeper route instead of putting the responsibility on the WR's to actually do their job. Once again Smith has to do everyone's job for them. SMITH YOU SUCK!!!

Oh and comeback routes and quick outs are actually pretty common for attempting to pick up a 1st down on 3rd down along with a quick slant.
Originally posted by 9erred:

The trouble with this plan is that the Dallas D waits for the audible and shifts as it is called. If there is a LB blitzing on the weak side of the line, which I saw repeatedly, he runs right into the ball carrier, which happened often. The 9er linemen are not very adept at picking up LBs at this point.

Smith does need to audible more and learn how to take advantage of the D but Dallas is a very good D with a lot of disguised movement. I don't blame Smith for this as much as I would blame preparation shortfalls. Are there "tells" in the Dallas D?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 22, 2011 at 6:35 AM ]
Luke McCown sucked last week bro
Share 49ersWebzone