There are 152 users in the forums

"Developing the offense" my a$$

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They do need to spread it out more and take some chances Down Field! So far, this offense looks just like Rayes. It's boring and truly shows we are still conservative as we were last year. I bet our offense is ranked overall about 30-31 or so. It's pathetic.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
The WCO is a complex system, and it�s easier to put a new player into a system, than chaniging the system.
Obvioulsy peopel like Joe Montana, Steve Yound, jerry Rice do not know anything about the offence, their words of how it needs tme to click are simply hollow.

What do those scrubs know, it's not like any of them were actually any good in the WCO anyway.

Obviously not as much as some of our fans.
brhokla--Can you imagine what Dallas's DLine would have done to them if they spread out the line? If you mean throw to more receivers...there aren't any who did not catch the ball last Sunday. More detail please.
Originally posted by brhokla:
They do need to spread it out more and take some chances Down Field! So far, this offense looks just like Rayes. It's boring and truly shows we are still conservative as we were last year. I bet our offense is ranked overall about 30-31 or so. It's pathetic.

We are ranked ninth in scoring. That is the most important offensive stat.
Seems that some people would rather 400 yards in the air in a loss rather than 170 yards in the air and a win. That some people would rather be dazzled by offensive explosion at all costs. I get it... it's boring to watch your team run, run, pass for 7 yds and then punt. While I can also appreciate a nice air attack, I gotta say... wins > all else.

... but let's look at this. We played Tavaris J. and the Hawks offense... who until later, couldn't do much o nothing. So why risk our QB behind a garbage OL in week 1? In week 2, we lost Braylon right away, and have... what? Morgan? Ginn? oh yay!

Just trying to see both sides... I wanted more vertical passes also. You have to wonder as well, Gore is no stranger to 8 man fronts... so what's up with only 2.5 average yds per rush?

Right now, our OL ranking http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol is 26th in run blocking and 30th in pass protection... the latter being behind only Martz's Bears (of course) and the injury riddled Hawks (of course).

What also may be noteworthy to some is that SF is ranked 11th overall in team efficiency.
lol the Panthers are 0-2 and the Bengals are 1-1 but we should strive to be more like them.

I don't give a damn how many yards a rookie QB throws for. Why do we have to be like them?

You are an idiot if you think the WCO can be installed in 2 weeks of training camp. Let Harbaugh have time to install the offense he wants to install. Lower your expectations this season.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 190836:
Whatever you say coach! I watched every game since Bill Walsh was hired. This sh*t doesn't look like the WCO I know. Maybe later, but not now.

As a student of Walsh's version of the WCO, I understand that it doesn't look like it yet. It took Walsh a couple of years to get it working and they got more time to work on it. We should see improvement as the year progresses, if we don't, I will be right there with you raising hell. For now you just have to manage your expectations, the WCO, like Rome, was not built in a day. For the record, I haven't coached in over eight years.

I like this answer better. I am tired of watching Gore run behind a guard to the left and to the right on every play and call that the WCO. BTW, I have never coached. , but you are right, we have to see some improvement in the next few weeks. Also I really think, this team is not suited for the WCO the way Walsh implemented the WCO. My 2 cents.
Whatever you say coach! I watched every game since Bill Walsh was hired. This sh*t doesn't look like the WCO I know. Maybe later, but not now.

As a student of Walsh's version of the WCO, I understand that it doesn't look like it yet. It took Walsh a couple of years to get it working and they got more time to work on it. We should see improvement as the year progresses, if we don't, I will be right there with you raising hell. For now you just have to manage your expectations, the WCO, like Rome, was not built in a day. For the record, I haven't coached in over eight years.

I like this answer better. I am tired of watching Gore run behind a guard to the left and to the right on every play and call that the WCO. BTW, I have never coached. , but you are right, we have to see some improvement in the next few weeks. Also I really think, this team is not suited for the WCO the way Walsh implemented the WCO. My 2 cents.

The biggest problem I see is the offensive line is struggling with the zone blocking scheme. Until they get it down, we are going to struggle. To be clear about something, this will not be Walsh's West Coast, this one will be more power running and play action. On the bright side, we are ninth in the NFL in scoring and Smith appears to be making good progress so far. Nice chatting with you.
The biggest problem I see is the offensive line is struggling with the zone blocking scheme. Until they get it down, we are going to struggle. To be clear about something, this will not be Walsh's West Coast, this one will be more power running and play action. On the bright side, we are ninth in the NFL in scoring and Smith appears to be making good progress so far. Nice chatting with you.

As I understand it, we have been using a lot more man blocking in these 2 games than what we showed in the pre-season. I think the coaches recognize how bad our OL awareness has been in zone... so they are slow-feeding it in.
  • Hctr
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
I like how you used the $$ to spell ass.

Originally posted by verb1der:
I understand that, but maybe Alex should change some plays at the line and improvise a little bit, he clearly can see a defense blitzing why don't he change the play and make them pay? It's what "great" quarterbacks do but Alex will never be great like that, he's definitely playing good, but he's not great...yet.

In Harbaugh I trust.
No fear of Alex = 8 men in box = Alex doesn't make them pay = more blitzes..... etc, etc.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
I understand that, but maybe Alex should change some plays at the line and improvise a little bit, he clearly can see a defense blitzing why don't he change the play and make them pay? It's what "great" quarterbacks do but Alex will never be great like that, he's definitely playing good, but he's not great...yet.

In Harbaugh I trust.
No fear of Alex = 8 men in box = Alex doesn't make them pay = more blitzes..... etc, etc.

Alex made the Cowboys pay twice, the TD to Williams and the TD to Walker! Watch the games.
Alex Smith and the offensive line will struggle if Harbaugh opened up this offense, and that would lead to the home crowd booing Smith. Why would you want that?

It is up to Alex Smith to stop the booing. That would just confirm he isn't the guy and help us move forward with or without him much faster.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
they only practiced the playbook for a month. Let them get the timing down. Besides, if harbaugh opened it up to the plays where they are not comfortable with yet, alex will make more WTF throws and NT will complain about giving alex smith too much s**t to handle.
You missed the point. Other teams in the league are in the same situation but aren't stunting themselves.
Originally posted by gamechanger:

In Harbaugh I trust.

Alex made the Cowboys pay twice, the TD to Williams and the TD to Walker! Watch the games.

http://youtu.be/kImJQ7a8IzQ

Go to 2:52 he recognizes the safety blitz and knows he has 1 on 1 on the outside and makes a perfect throw where only Williams can get it. At 4:37 he used his eyes to make sure he had 1 on 1 with Walker on a DE. He knew where was going to go with the ball and had the discipline to not make it obvious and look the safety off. He's getting better and so is everyone around him. Can you imagine how we would've have looked against them with both Edwards and Crabtree out had Singletary been out there coaching?
[ Edited by gamechanger on Sep 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM ]

In Harbaugh I trust.

http://youtu.be/kImJQ7a8IzQ

Go to 2:52 he recognizes the safety blitz and knows he has 1 on 1 on the outside and makes a perfect throw where only Williams can get it. At 4:37 he used his eyes to make sure he had 1 on 1 with Walker on a DE. He knew where was going to go with the ball and had the discipline to not make it obvious and look the safety off. He's getting better and so is everyone around him. Can you imagine how we would've have looked against them with both Edwards and Crabtree out had Singletary been out there coaching?

He didn't look the safety off. DAL had over coverage to double Vernon. I don't think they were expecting Delanie to run further than an out or the flat. All Alex had to do was stare at the Safety over Vernon to see if he committed to Vernon (then throw to Delanie) or helped the LB on Delanie (then throw to Vernon). It was a simple read to make.
Share 49ersWebzone