LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 387 users in the forums

What can we do about the O-line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Jason Babin is a dirty motherf**ker. Every pass rush he'd basically open hand punch A.Davis in the head. IMO, no different than the Decon Jones head slap.

Anywho, the OL got it done today
What can we do with the OL? Well for starters, continue to throw 1 and 2 steppers, until the box 8 moves off the LOS. Then once that happens 5-7 steppers open up and as you saw, alex hit a # of them. Finally, by throwing 1 and 2 steppers, Eagles backed off into a 3-3/4-3 and surprise, Frank got 120. Also Hunter is a fabulous find, and he has also made OL look better. Get right down to it, 5 OL guys cannot block 8 D guys, and that has been our problem since noln went 2-0 yrs back. Everyone in the nfl knew we couldn't block a box 8, nor did we know how to beat it. Well Harbaugh knew to throw quick and short, slants and outs, and they backed off. I say the OL is back. Not great, but back. I believe they will get LOTS better.
Anthony Davis had some fantastic run blocks in the 4th quarter.
i'm not sure what to make of them after this game, to be honest. The Eagles have a small front seven and we really overpowered them in the second half. Did that translate into our ability to pass protect as well? IDK. O-line play is really hard to analyze on a TV broadcast. They were very good today, but I don't know if its a mirage. We'll find out next week if the addition of Snyder helped stabilize the line and/or if they are just gelling with time and experience, as I assumed (hoped) they would.
I agree Pasodoc, the quick hits that we've been waiting for really worked well and the vaunted DBs of the "Dream Team" have not melded into a unit yet. That opened up the running game and with our size difference, as Hessian pointed out, the 9ers powered over them.

One of the best things I've seen in the first four games is a varied set of passes each game that will keep teams from jumping routes. If Smith throws that long out too often the DBs will begin to pick it off, but the play calling has been too advanced for that to happen. Smith also throws it high now, so it's harder to pick off. So many improvements in the offense this year! They can't jump that out when the WR or TE might turn upfield as Walker did last week for a TD.

Our O will start to get recognition now as coaches try to prepare for the 9ers and realize the task is very difficult.

And all of this will help the line out!
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
i'm not sure what to make of them after this game, to be honest. The Eagles have a small front seven and we really overpowered them in the second half. Did that translate into our ability to pass protect as well? IDK. O-line play is really hard to analyze on a TV broadcast. They were very good today, but I don't know if its a mirage. We'll find out next week if the addition of Snyder helped stabilize the line and/or if they are just gelling with time and experience, as I assumed (hoped) they would.

It looked to me like they benched Snyder for Rachal in the 2nd half.
Share 49ersWebzone