LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

What can we do about the O-line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I truly believe the offense gets an immediate boost if we bench Chilo.
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Did the ref really say that? thats awesome

Yes really...my face was like

I was like
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They really need to look into making some lineup changes and shuffle around some people.
This O-line really sucks.

I think it's a unanimous agreement on that.
Originally posted by bret:
That means the center missed the snap count. I've seen it before. So essentially it was a penalty on Goodwin - he hasn't looked like he was worth the money!

agree with that i say play snyder at c and boone at rg i believe he can play g
Originally posted by susweel:
They really need to look into making some lineup changes and shuffle around some people.

Yeah, Chilo needs to be benched.... in fact any OL that commits as many mental errors as Chilo needs to be benched. Snyder is a much better guard than Chilo. I don't trust Snyder at center, so I think Goodwin should stay there. Iupati should stay at LG.

As for the tackle positions, I'm not sure who has been playing worse (Davis or Staley). In the long term I'd like to see Staley at RT. But it wouldn't be a good idea to switch a 2nd year player like Davis from RT to LT. But it is equally nerve racking putting Boone in the starting lineup.

Anyway you look at it, the only change you could make to get a quick boost would be swapping Chilo for Snyder. Anything else could possibly make us worse. We need an offseason to look at other guys at LT and hopefully sign a quality FA. But we are probably stuck with what we've got for now.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by stepnez:
That means the center missed the snap count. I've seen it before. So essentially it was a penalty on Goodwin - he hasn't looked like he was worth the money!

Boone has no experience at guard. That is a tough switch to make and not one you should make mid-season. You see, pass pro technique at OG is very different than at tackle. Tackles must quickly back-peddle to pick up the outside rush and form the pocket. OGs must be much more stingy at the LOS and cannot give up much ground. A tackle will typically play too high and give up too much ground if asked to play OG.
Originally posted by blm7754:

Yeah, Chilo needs to be benched.... in fact any OL that commits as many mental errors as Chilo needs to be benched. Snyder is a much better guard than Chilo. I don't trust Snyder at center, so I think Goodwin should stay there. Iupati should stay at LG.

As for the tackle positions, I'm not sure who has been playing worse (Davis or Staley). In the long term I'd like to see Staley at RT. But it wouldn't be a good idea to switch a 2nd year player like Davis from RT to LT. But it is equally nerve racking putting Boone in the starting lineup.

Anyway you look at it, the only change you could make to get a quick boost would be swapping Chilo for Snyder. Anything else could possibly make us worse. We need an offseason to look at other guys at LT and hopefully sign a quality FA. But we are probably stuck with what we've got for now.

Good post... the bolded may just be enough to bring the line to respectability.
If we plug in Boone, I'd want it to be at one of the OT spots. Boone's best fit is at RT. Slide Anthony Davis inside to RG. If Staley doesn't show improvement, then we contemplate our next move.

Snyder's really not MUCH of an upgrade to Rachal. Weaker in run blocks... A little better in pass pro.
Boone has no experience at guard. That is a tough switch to make and not one you should make mid-season. You see, pass pro technique at OG is very different than at tackle. Tackles must quickly back-peddle to pick up the outside rush and form the pocket. OGs must be much more stingy at the LOS and cannot give up much ground. A tackle will typically play too high and give up too much ground if asked to play OG.

Originally posted by stepnez:

thought he had played some g in college but agree a switch mid season could cause a step back. snyder does need to replace rachal which i think would also benefit davis

Solari really needs to go. No way that all of these linemen who are suppose to be talented can suck this bad. Solari is garbage. He's the main problem. Some of the linemen may not be all that great, but for them to all be this bad, it has to be a coaching issue. We have to get someone in there that really knows how to coach an oline. We need someone like the patriots offensive line coach. The Patriots o line cheats.
They should be able to work out the timing problems this week.
The OL is gonna have a week of, on the road, "Training camp" to get it right.

Very dangerous, might need to wait until the bye week sus
Agree with sentiments of lineup shakeup, but OL is so bad, best thing JH could do right now is just coach around it. First off they are seeing a slew of box 8s, and nobody in the nfl thinks (correctly so) that we cannot block it. You can't run on a box 8 and you sure as heck can't take 5-7 step drops against a box 8. Just too many guys. Answer:
Start calling 1 steppers, dinks and dunks and then see what vernon, morgan, delainie can do with it. After a prolonged period of 1 steppers, the box 8 will have to move back to 4-3 or 3-4. I think JH is missing a really good bet here, and it would be the cure for the box 8. If they move off the LOS, then that opens up the run for either frank or Hunter. Only other thing that "coaching around" the OL might do, would be to roll alex out, and get him out of the pocket our OL cannot protect. Alex happens to throw better being rolled out that in the pocket, and most of you all know that.
For the short term, bench Rachal. The OL looked better in the second half for the most part with Snyder in there. The only problem with starting Snyder is that if any of our interior OL go down, we're really screwed because Snyder's our best/most versatile backup. But, I think we have to do it as Rachal has been simply awful. He racks up penalties, gets pushed back, and makes mental errors.

Goodwin seems to get pushed back a lot as well. All in all, I think the losses of Heitman (albeit to injury) and Baas have really hurt us, as We're now down two of our better starters over the past several years. Hopefully Snyder will help out and Goodwin can pick it up.

As for the others, I feel Staley is way overhyped; it seems that once every one started talking about him being so good (around 08 or so), his play has gotten much worse. I was out of the country last year and unable to see all but one of our games. I heard great things about Iupati, but haven't seen much that's impressed me this year. That said, he's huge and doesn't ever seem to miss a block or lose leverage--I think he's suffering more from being stuck in between Staley and Goodwin. I've actually been somewhat pleasantly surprised by Davis. Sure, he's had a couple false starts, but he certainly hasn't been the weak link on the line this year and his play has definitely surpassed that of Staley and Rachal.

There is the school of thought that attributes the poor OL play to the short offseason/new scheme, as, obstensibly, the talent is there. Nonetheless, I fear we're going to suffer up front all year.
Share 49ersWebzone