LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

most concerning thing

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rookie head coach ... pedestrian QB..... offensive line and defensive backfield inconsistency. This is a learning year for Harbaugh IMO. I'd rather get blown out than lose like this, but thus far the season is playing out to my expectations. At the end of the day we still hold a share of the NFC West lead.
I have to say I have renewed optimism in the 49ers and our quarterbacks even after watching the defeat to Dallas. This is a game with Romo coming to town and Gore having a tough time getting untracked that we may have been blown out of the stadium in years past. Not this year. We only trailed on the last play of sudden death overtime.

Harbaugh clearly has us on the right track. We are allowing Alex to spread the field on obvious passing downs and doing a good job of moving him around in the pocket on all downs. Vic Fangio gives me confidence. Dallas has a powerhouse offense and we held them to 24 points in regulation just like the Jets did, who have a great defense. Just seeing his schemes and creativity it's clear he knows his stuff.

Sometimes you just get beat. Romo and Miles Austin are two of the best in the NFL and weren't going to go quietly in this one. Seeing Romo gut it out... just gotta hand it to him. With broken ribs he hung in there and still made all the throws knowing he was going to take some painful hits which he did.

But I feel we can compete and won't be an easy out for anyone on our schedule.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I have to say I have renewed optimism in the 49ers and our quarterbacks even after watching the defeat to Dallas. This is a game with Romo coming to town and Gore having a tough time getting untracked that we may have been blown out of the stadium in years past. Not this year. We only trailed on the last play of sudden death overtime.

Harbaugh clearly has us on the right track. We are allowing Alex to spread the field on obvious passing downs and doing a good job of moving him around in the pocket on all downs. Vic Fangio gives me confidence. Dallas has a powerhouse offense and we held them to 24 points in regulation just like the Jets did, who have a great defense. Just seeing his schemes and creativity it's clear he knows his stuff.

Sometimes you just get beat. Romo and Miles Austin are two of the best in the NFL and weren't going to go quietly in this one. Seeing Romo gut it out... just gotta hand it to him. With broken ribs he hung in there and still made all the throws knowing he was going to take some painful hits which he did.

But I feel we can compete and won't be an easy out for anyone on our schedule.
[ Edited by zozell on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM ]
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
Bill Walsh's first season : 2-14

Now i wasn't alive then, but i'm curious as to how many "fans" were calling for Walsh's head. Calm down with the "Harbaugh is overmatched in the NFL" bullcrap. He is going to take his lumps, but in the end he is smart, dedicated coach who will succeed with the 9ers. C'mon people, we are 1-1. Last time i check there are 16 games in a season.

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team his sophmore year. So was I. WHERE ARE MY NIKE SHOES!
Yea it's painfully obvious that this team is being out coached. and what's killing me is that it's looking like the same philosophy of the last 8 years. Playing not to win and not trusting in your quarterback to get it done. It would be different if the guys were out their running some different type plays and just making mistakes based on lack of preparation. Time will tell but so far this coaching staff hasn't shown me anything especially on defense.
[ Edited by lamontb on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:19 AM ]
lol you guys are funny..... to be honest we played a better game this weeks vs a way better team.... Dallas barely beat us, and it took us as a young team, young hc and some mistakes to beat us. We will get way better, Im confident in this.
Originally posted by loud3800:
im just gonna say it it was alex smith's fault he cant adjust

I am just gonna say this is dumb
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea it's painfully obvious that this team is being out coached. and what's killing me is that it's looking like the same philosophy of the last 8 years. Playing not to win and not trusting in your quarterback to get it done. It would be different if the guys were out their running some different type lays and just making mistakes based on lack of preparation. Time will tell but so far this coaching staff hasn't shown me anything especially on defense.

I don't understand? Other than the mistake of not accepting the penalty how were we outcoached? Offside penalty on Brooks, HC fault? Brock Falling down and hte end of the half, HC fault? Perfectly thrown pass to Miles Austin By Romo, HC fault? OT 77 yd catch where whitner bites on a play action fake, HC fault? Cmon guys this is clearly just a young team that made mistakes, that had NO offseason to install a new offense and defense.
Typical reactions from this place. No wonder 9er fans have such a bad reputation. Truth be told, we did good yesterday considering the amount of practice time we have had and the injuries we have suffered. Harbaugh is a rookie head coach and has some learning to do but so far things aren't as bad as you guys are making it out to be.
Originally posted by STNiner:
lol you guys are funny..... to be honest we played a better game this weeks vs a way better team.... Dallas barely beat us, and it took us as a young team, young hc and some mistakes to beat us. We will get way better, Im confident in this.
Maybe. I do hope you're right. The disturbing thing though, is we lost in the same old way. No offense when we needed it; another less than 200 yd performance from Smith, with no downfield throws that I can recall; the defense folds at the end, TWICE; at the end of the 4th quarter and again in overtime. And where the hell was Vernon? He seems to be the forgotten man, even with Crabtree and Edwards out. Conservative play calling. And the O-line.....don't get me started. Same ol' same ol'. That's the "most concerning thing"!

Originally posted by STNiner:
I don't understand? Other than the mistake of not accepting the penalty how were we outcoached? Offside penalty on Brooks, HC fault? Brock Falling down and hte end of the half, HC fault? Perfectly thrown pass to Miles Austin By Romo, HC fault? OT 77 yd catch where whitner bites on a play action fake, HC fault? Cmon guys this is clearly just a young team that made mistakes, that had NO offseason to install a new offense and defense.

Saying out coached doesn't mean only JH. Primarily it was the defense. Very vanilla and basic zone coverage schemes were being abused by the offense in the 2nd half. Having Williams a poor cover safety in a position to be left alone with Miles Austin is a product of being out schemed. Witten spread out wide and getting single coverage from Whitner is being out coached. And when the Niners brought pressure they picked it up and still found guys open. And this super conservative playing not to win philosophy is really on the head coach and it's not gonna get you anywhere. I said time will tell, b/c I'm not sure if it's the tire philosophy of the coach or the fact that these players really aren't talented enough. Either way this is 2 games in a row where we see teams make adjustments in the 2nd half and Niners defense can't keep up. Ted Ginn just didn't save us this game.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners_guy:
Rookie head coach ... pedestrian QB..... offensive line and defensive backfield inconsistency. This is a learning year for Harbaugh IMO. I'd rather get blown out than lose like this, but thus far the season is playing out to my expectations. At the end of the day we still hold a share of the NFC West lead.

Agreed! And I'll add no pass rush what so ever, as well. It looks like the same team as last year, but we still can't blame the coaching staff too early for that. I will say that the penalty Harbaugh didn't take bit him in the ass bad. If taken, It would have taken time off the clock and you never know maybe Gore could have broken one.
[ Edited by obx49 on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM ]
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by niners_guy:

Agreed! And I'll add no pass rush what so ever, as well. It looks like the same team as last year, but we still can't blame the coaching staff too early for that. I will say that the penalty Harbaugh didn't take bit him in the ass bad. If taken, It would have taken time off the clock and you never know maybe Gore could have broken one.

Hard to say what happens if you take the points off the board, i don't fault him for it the way the offense was playing...... fumbled snap, gore fumble, missed FG on a 4th down with less time on the clock. Any of those scenarios could have had the Cowboys kicking for the win in regulation. Bottom line is he put it on his best unit(defense) and they didn't come though.
[ Edited by niners_guy on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:52 AM ]
We cannot win a shootout, or any game that requires mid-20 points or more to win. The offense just isn't very good -- best if the O just doesn't give the game away. We need to win it on special teams or defense. H is trying to build Alex up with short (4-5 yard) passes and Gore up the middle. The O line doesn't hold up for much more than that; the receivers are new or missed what little preseason there was; and the offense is new to Alex. If he starts to throw downfield and gets picked a lot again, or loses the ball when he gets hit waiting for the play to develop, it will be deja vu all over again. So, max protect; play field position and try to keep the game close; and don't turn the ball over.
So much for the new attacking defense and go for the jugular mentality. What's our deal?
Share 49ersWebzone