There are 226 users in the forums

Just re-watched the game....Noticed a few things....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I dont agree with the Gore stuff

In this case, I'd love to be wrong.

In the preseason he looked like his normal self, you cant tell me he lost a step from preseason to the regular season

In the preseason he looked like his normal self, you cant tell me he lost a step from preseason to the regular season

They were keying on him, after the ass raping he put on them the past few years, they were not going to let it happen again. In the next game against them watch for the gameplan to include play actions to exploit Thomas crashing the running lanes. Games within games my friend...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

He only played like 3 plays a game in the pre season.

7) Ted Ginn: Wow. He took 2 back, but he almost broke 2 more. I dubnno if there is something different about him this year, if Seely is just a better coach, or if the game was just a fluke....but he was ON on Sunday. He took some chances and lost some yards a few times (all really good returners do), but that guy was better than I've ever seen him.

I read an article about how the Brad Seely was given more practice time than usual with special teams during the off-season and so far it's starting to show, 49ers might be top 10 in special teams this season, in fact I think they're already #1 in the league.
Good analysis. This is what i was noticing during the game as well.

I loved that Snyder tackle eligable trick play. Great thinking and genius. You are going to see that copied around the league. I bet SEA is already installing it in their playbook. I've never seen that before.

Crabs was blocking hard downfield and Gore did look very sluggish.

Smith played ok. He avoided his usual game changing turnover. He still looked hesitant and scared in the pocket. I think he took off running a bit early and could have shifted in the pocket and made a throw downfield.

The OL played awesome, especially in pass protection. Smith had plenty of time back there to work with.

The game got chippy and i think it hurt VD. He seemed to lose his focus after all the jibber jabbering.
1) Crabtree lost some weight. Dunno if it was unintentional or he got himself in really good shape, but he looks skinnier. He is also still blocking hard downfield. On VDs first reception he BLEW UP Earl Thomas. He also seamed a little faster running his routes before he got hurt.

2) Speaking of Earl Thomas, that guy is going to be a thorn in the 49ers side for a LONG time. It seems like everytime it was third down that guy was making the play preventing us from getting it. He's a good one and needs to be accounted for.

3) On second viewing, Alex played better than I thought. I was a bit frustrated with the playcalling, but he did what he was asked and made some really good throws. Three of them were to VD, but the last one should have been a penalty. VD did hold up as not to get hit, but he was also held. I dunno if he figured there would be a flag so why get blasted, but to be honest I'd rather he NOT catch that because he's been hurt on those kinds of plays before.

4) I'm not saying that Frank has lost it, but his play concerned me. Seattle stacked the run alot and it's not like he had clean lanes to run through, but it just seemed he didn't have that little extra he usually has to get the extra yard that results in a first down or TD. It could have just been a bad game, he may not have his legs yet, or it could have been great play by Seattle....but it was enough to be concerned about.

5) Aldon Smith is a freak of nature. He didn't have a great game and wasn't dominant, but he made a few plays that no other human being could. First, on a play where the Tackle was trying to cut him...he put BOTH hands on the ground and sprung righ back to his feat. It was almost like he was a four legged animal and his arms and legs were the same length. He didn't make the play, but I had to watch it 2 or 3 times to see if I was actually seeing what I was seeing. In the second half he was cut again, easily avoided it and got the longest arms I've ever seen up in the air and on the ball. This guy is young and raw and has a long of ways to go....but he needs to join the X-Men because the guy is a freakin' mutant.

6) Scheme: When I watched the game the first time, I suspected that the Adam Snyder shift penalty was intentional. Now I'm sure of it. It was 4th and one and that shift gave the 49ers a first down. The gameplan was kinda vanilla, but there were little moments here and there where we got a glimpse of what we have to look forward to. The fake one way and then run behind Alex play. Nice. I honestly think that Harbaugh and Roman didn't feel the need to open the bag for this game and only used what they had to to get the W. When Seattle got within 2, I think they would have opened it a bit....but Teddy Ginn sealed the game for them.

7) Ted Ginn: Wow. He took 2 back, but he almost broke 2 more. I dubnno if there is something different about him this year, if Seely is just a better coach, or if the game was just a fluke....but he was ON on Sunday. He took some chances and lost some yards a few times (all really good returners do), but that guy was better than I've ever seen him.

8) Edwards is gonna be huge this year. He was held. Alot. We are gonna see many jump balls for him and he's gonna move the sticks.

9) Ray McDonald. Wow. Dominant. Only 1 sack on the sheet but disruptive the entire day

Spot on. I don't think Gore lost a step. It they had it all clogged and it seemed as though Earl Thomas was planned to go where Gore goes and Thomas is no slouch.

Don't foget about Parys.
Originally posted by susweel:

Thats what I was gonna say. Its not like dominated in the preseason.

Still, it may be nothing and he's fine. I hope thats the case.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
Some thing I noticed after watching the game again... was the foot work of Alex Smith. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! More so while in the pocket and going through his progressions. Last year and the years past he would take his drop... and then it looked as his feet were planted as he looked at his options... In this game... He would take the drop back... stand in the pocket... and pitty patter his feet...

This movement I believe reduces the time it takes him to get the ball out after making his decision on where to throw the rock. +1 Jim Harbaugh.
I can't rewatch the game , but I noticed this as well. And it's just subtle things I noticed like keeping his feet going, helped him slide in the pocket with-out that panicky "ohh s**t" look. He kept his eyes down field and when needed to he tucked it and ran with it. When's the last time we've really seen Alex use his legs all that much? We've seen it a bit in pre-season and he used them on a couple big plays on Sunday.

To me it just seems like he finally trust what he is doing out there. With that being said, it's only one game and there's really nothing to judge him off of yet. Let's see how he does when it's a close game and our passing game is needed.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Edwards matched up 1 on 1, throw it! He'll definitely go up and grab it.

This. We need to take advantage whenever he's single covered.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Great analysis. I didn't rewatch the game yet but looking at this and reflecting back on the game, you seem to be spot on.

I have no concerns about Frank. He didn't have much room as you mentioned, and it is most likely a matter of just getting his "game legs" into gear.

Ray McDonald should have been a starter for this team two years ago. Started a thread about this in the offseason before we resigned him and I'm so thankful we did. This guy has always played like a monster.

Smith played well. The only thing that stood out to me was missing Crabs wide-open in the endzone. He's still got to learn to go through progressions and look at 2nd, 3rd, 4th options when his primary isn't there or when a play breaks down.

Overall, this game was amazing. We cut it too close at the end but that's usually when we find a way to lose the game. Last Sunday, we found a way to win. We haven't done that in quite a while.

Most exciting season opener since Hearst's OT run in '98? I think so.
I think this was more that the play wasnt there. When re-watching the game, you clearly see that when smith started to take his arm back to get momentum for the throw, Crabs had not even began to make his cut just yet. As soon as Smiths arm was extended, before the ball was released, then Crabs made his cut, and it was around a defender and a WR, if im not mistaken. When the ball was out of his hands, thats when he actually got open, henceforth the jumping up and down in the endzone.

No excuses for any of the play. just my interpretation of what i saw

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
good read on why Gore wasn't able to do much.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/09/has-frank-gore-lost-a-step-the-answer-is.html

basically, Seattle's main objective was to stop gore. Seattle's not so secret weapon, Earl Thomas.

IF thats the case and they were zeroing in on him then it wasn't a great job of coaching by our coaches. You would think they would have done more play action pass and more shots down the field.

Me and Joecool pointed that out in the game day thread SEA vs SF

Yes you guys are geniuses, then you should know very well that Harbaugh is setting something up for Dallas !
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM ]
I'm worried about the Frank
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I have no concerns about Frank. He didn't have much room as you mentioned, and it is most likely a matter of just getting his "game legs" into gear.

Ray McDonald should have been a starter for this team two years ago. Started a thread about this in the offseason before we resigned him and I'm so thankful we did. This guy has always played like a monster.

Smith played well. The only thing that stood out to me was missing Crabs wide-open in the endzone. He's still got to learn to go through progressions and look at 2nd, 3rd, 4th options when his primary isn't there or when a play breaks down.

Overall, this game was amazing. We cut it too close at the end but that's usually when we find a way to lose the game. Last Sunday, we found a way to win. We haven't done that in quite a while.

1) Glad Ray had a great game- don't know if he was ready two years ago, none the less glad he hasn't disappeared like some do when they sign a big contract.

2) One of the reasons why I didn't give Smith a free pass like everyone, he missed Crabs. He also choose to be safe when it was third down and targeted the WR who was short of the marker, there were others who were open and would have gotten the first a couple of time. At least he didn't suffer negative yardage. Some feel his hands were tied and that is a half truth.

3) It wouldn't have been as close if Harbaugh opened it up a little. I am talking about when they got into the redzone. I understand playing conservative and for field position, but not when in or near the red zone.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
good read on why Gore wasn't able to do much.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/09/has-frank-gore-lost-a-step-the-answer-is.html

basically, Seattle's main objective was to stop gore. Seattle's not so secret weapon, Earl Thomas.

IF thats the case and they were zeroing in on him then it wasn't a great job of coaching by our coaches. You would think they would have done more play action pass and more shots down the field.

Me and Joecool pointed that out in the game day thread SEA vs SF

Yes you guys are geniuses, then you should know very well that Harbaugh is setting something up for Dallas !

we shall see

Thats what I was gonna say. Its not like dominated in the preseason.

Still, it may be nothing and he's fine. I hope thats the case.

When he played he looked like the normal Frank Gore and considering he didnt play much there is no way that you can tell me he looks like he lost a step
Share 49ersWebzone