There are 219 users in the forums

Just re-watched the game....Noticed a few things....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Really worthwhile read... Agreed with everything and enjoyed it.
So what do you guys think will be the game plan for Dallas? They're more of a potent offense than seattle, do you think Harbs will still want to play the field position game, or is he going to come out swinging?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
"If's"
If Reggie Smith would of made the play instead of being burned, if Gore's legs weren't rusty ...

I was at the game and before Ginn's returns i had this feeling the whole game that we weren't going to lose because of the way we were just controlling the tempo...idk?

I can accept the theory that the niners kept it simple because they are still learning and trying to keep it mistake free since the law of averages states that teams that win the T.O. ratio normally come out on the positive side. But say he is holding it back for Dallas when the Seattle games has more value than the game with the pokes is silly. If you go 6-0 in the division and you are in a tie with the team or teams, it is the first rule that breaks it-head to head then divional series.
I think Harbaugh did enough to win the game, and nothing more. He knew the pass protection was a big concern, and he created a game plan that involved getting the ball out quickly to avoid catastrophe on deeper drops/longer throws. He may have been building up confidence in Smith, but he also was smart and dealt with our pass protection issues with a scheme that minimized risk of sack/qb hits.

I think he will always do what he feels he needs to do to win, and that will change from game to game and even within games. We have a coach who believes in strategy for a change
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You are making the assumption that we wouldn't have been able to score again. We had just killed nine minutes of clock driving the length of the field to get to 19 points. If we had needed to move the ball again it was a real possibility that we could. At least as possible as what you are suggesting.

The niners scored there points (16) in the first half, in the second half seattle outscored us 17-3, we stalled out and had to settle for a field goal and all game long we relied on D and special teams to get us a short field which the offense couldn't go for the jugular. So I think, the odds were against us especially since our D was begining to wilt from being on the field to long. Glad we won, don't get me wrong, a win even ugly is pretty, but lets not try to sugar coat it. You can't rely on this all the time, we are not like the Raven's D yet.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Edwards matched up 1 on 1, throw it! He'll definitely go up and grab it.

Agree....this is why i think we need to sign him to a multiple contract before he blows up and demand more money...
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Edwards matched up 1 on 1, throw it! He'll definitely go up and grab it.

Either that, or he'll draw a PI penalty, it's a win-win situation
settling for 4 field goals makes me nervous. Ist and goal from the one and we screw the pooch, not good. Once we had 8 downs to score inside the 6yd line because of the penalty on Edwards. Not good.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Crabtree lost some weight. Dunno if it was unintentional or he got himself in really good shape, but he looks skinnier. He is also still blocking hard downfield. On VDs first reception he BLEW UP Earl Thomas. He also seamed a little faster running his routes before he got hurt.

2) Speaking of Earl Thomas, that guy is going to be a thorn in the 49ers side for a LONG time. It seems like everytime it was third down that guy was making the play preventing us from getting it. He's a good one and needs to be accounted for.

3) On second viewing, Alex played better than I thought. I was a bit frustrated with the playcalling, but he did what he was asked and made some really good throws. Three of them were to VD, but the last one should have been a penalty. VD did hold up as not to get hit, but he was also held. I dunno if he figured there would be a flag so why get blasted, but to be honest I'd rather he NOT catch that because he's been hurt on those kinds of plays before.

4) I'm not saying that Frank has lost it, but his play concerned me. Seattle stacked the run alot and it's not like he had clean lanes to run through, but it just seemed he didn't have that little extra he usually has to get the extra yard that results in a first down or TD. It could have just been a bad game, he may not have his legs yet, or it could have been great play by Seattle....but it was enough to be concerned about.

5) Aldon Smith is a freak of nature. He didn't have a great game and wasn't dominant, but he made a few plays that no other human being could. First, on a play where the Tackle was trying to cut him...he put BOTH hands on the ground and sprung righ back to his feat. It was almost like he was a four legged animal and his arms and legs were the same length. He didn't make the play, but I had to watch it 2 or 3 times to see if I was actually seeing what I was seeing. In the second half he was cut again, easily avoided it and got the longest arms I've ever seen up in the air and on the ball. This guy is young and raw and has a long of ways to go....but he needs to join the X-Men because the guy is a freakin' mutant.

6) Scheme: When I watched the game the first time, I suspected that the Adam Snyder shift penalty was intentional. Now I'm sure of it. It was 4th and one and that shift gave the 49ers a first down. The gameplan was kinda vanilla, but there were little moments here and there where we got a glimpse of what we have to look forward to. The fake one way and then run behind Alex play. Nice. I honestly think that Harbaugh and Roman didn't feel the need to open the bag for this game and only used what they had to to get the W. When Seattle got within 2, I think they would have opened it a bit....but Teddy Ginn sealed the game for them.

7) Ted Ginn: Wow. He took 2 back, but he almost broke 2 more. I dubnno if there is something different about him this year, if Seely is just a better coach, or if the game was just a fluke....but he was ON on Sunday. He took some chances and lost some yards a few times (all really good returners do), but that guy was better than I've ever seen him.

8) Edwards is gonna be huge this year. He was held. Alot. We are gonna see many jump balls for him and he's gonna move the sticks.

9) Ray McDonald. Wow. Dominant. Only 1 sack on the sheet but disruptive the entire day

Very nice observations. I think Seattle's play and our own run blocking had more to do with how Gore's day went. But worth keeping an eye on though.
I was worried about Gore as well but I think you might be right in stating that he may not have his legs yet. He looked good on the change of direction play with Alex leading and also had that run where he broke some tackles... I think he'll be fine.

Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You are making the assumption that we wouldn't have been able to score again. We had just killed nine minutes of clock driving the length of the field to get to 19 points. If we had needed to move the ball again it was a real possibility that we could. At least as possible as what you are suggesting.

The niners scored there points (16) in the first half, in the second half seattle outscored us 17-3, we stalled out and had to settle for a field goal and all game long we relied on D and special teams to get us a short field which the offense couldn't go for the jugular. So I think, the odds were against us especially since our D was begining to wilt from being on the field to long. Glad we won, don't get me wrong, a win even ugly is pretty, but lets not try to sugar coat it. You can't rely on this all the time, we are not like the Raven's D yet.

Yeah the momentum had shifted starkly to SEA. They were really coming on strong.

Harb looked like he had a conservative game plan and i don't believe the offense would have been able to drive. We scored on FGs and TDs mostly set up by ST and turnovers. I think we only a few good drives and def none in the second half. Also, we could have just as easily thrown an INT, fumbled, etc..

We have a history of choking games away with untimely fumbles and interceptions.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah the momentum had shifted starkly to SEA. They were really coming on strong.

Harb looked like he had a conservative game plan and i don't believe the offense would have been able to drive. We scored on FGs and TDs mostly set up by ST and turnovers. I think we only a few good drives and def none in the second half. Also, we could have just as easily thrown an INT, fumbled, etc..

We have a history of choking games away with untimely fumbles and interceptions.

Hmm... I wonder if that had something to do with the decision to play conservative. Having zero turnovers might have played a small part in that win.

Oh... and it's also possible that Seattle turns the ball over trying to take the lead at the end of the game if Ginn hadn't scored. It's also possible that... well, just about anything.

We won. Things happened how they happened.

Yay!

Great info man. I plan to re-watch the game too.

The one thing I noticed all game long was how Earl Thomas just kept blowing up Gore especially on third downs. It really looked like a one on one match up as every other defender gets blocked. I have to give that munchkin his due, great solid tackler.

You're right, he will be a thorn. I was still surprised though that we didn't attack him directly with Davis, but it really was a run game plan.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
do y'all rewatch the game after a loss too? #jusaskin
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
do y'all rewatch the game after a loss too? #jusaskin

Even more to see who I can call out and crucify for f**king up.
Share 49ersWebzone