LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Vernon "Aligator Arms" Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
V Davis did alligator arm that pass, but he normally does not do that. Vernon is a tough dude. The pass was not perfect. He was thrown inside and either a little late or with too much air under it. Davis was going to get lit up.

Alex should have thrown the ball to the outside, towards the sideline about 5 yards outside of where the ball actually landed. Then, Vernon would have had a shot at catching it and nobody would have been lit up.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Not a big deal, but he did p***y out.

Right! Didn't turn out to be a big deal, but the wussification was evident, and I hope he tries harder in the future.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Right! Didn't turn out to be a big deal, but the wussification was evident, and I hope he tries harder in the future.

He did get his back shoulder pulled back and appeared to give up thinking PI but this s**t happens at least once a year with him and it's getting f**ken annoying.
Originally posted by swim4speed:
V Davis did alligator arm that pass, but he normally does not do that. Vernon is a tough dude. The pass was not perfect. He was thrown inside and either a little late or with too much air under it. Davis was going to get lit up.

Alex should have thrown the ball to the outside, towards the sideline about 5 yards outside of where the ball actually landed. Then, Vernon would have had a shot at catching it and nobody would have been lit up.

Before the ball arrives, he is being heavily pass interfered with.
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
I can't find a video of it but if you saw the game, you saw...clear as day. Alex shows great touch by dropping a ball beautifully in between coverage...VD sees the safety coming and tucks his arms in and lets it fall...

Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, Dwight Clark...this is the class of tight end that Vernon belongs in but not if he won't take a hit to make the catch.

Alex threw a similarly great ball to Morgan in between two defenders down the sidelines and he went up, exposed his body, and made a perfect catch with his body...

Just sayin...
Dwight Clark was a WR.
After reviewing the replay it looked as if he was pulling up before he knew where the ball was. That said, he sure knew where the safety was... and he certainly heard the footsteps. Had he been aware and run threw that ball two things would have happened... he would have easily been able to make a play on a well thrown ball by Alex Smith, and the Safety would have easily been able to make a play on Vernon Davis (likely a big hit). Regardless... Davis has to do a better job of playing to ball. If the safety was a step earlier, the ball could've been intercepted, especially given the fact that Davis pulled up on the play. Heck Davis might have caught the ball, and drawn a 15 yard bogus illegal hit to the head call. Just saying...
Originally posted by Micky6:
After reviewing the replay it looked as if he was pulling up before he knew where the ball was. That said, he sure knew where the safety was... and he certainly heard the footsteps. Had he been aware and run threw that ball two things would have happened... he would have easily been able to make a play on a well thrown ball by Alex Smith, and the Safety would have easily been able to make a play on Vernon Davis (likely a big hit). Regardless... Davis has to do a better job of playing to ball. If the safety was a step earlier, the ball could've been intercepted, especially given the fact that Davis pulled up on the play. Heck Davis might have caught the ball, and drawn a 15 yard bogus illegal hit to the head call. Just saying...

Did you miss the part where the guy was hanging on the his back? Might want to review the play again.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

He did get his back shoulder pulled back and appeared to give up thinking PI but this s**t happens at least once a year with him and it's getting f**ken annoying.

Yeah, I agree that a flag should have been thrown.. however, my issue was that he clearly looked to the DB coming over from his right and he split-second decided to puss out.

... and yes, not for the first time.

I am still a Vernon fan, so I'm not hating... just not wanting more of that.
I'll take Vernon for my tight end any day of the week.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kelson49er:
I'm pretty sure this wasn't a straight up case of alligator arms. He got a piggy-back ride from the DB on the play, and you could see one of his arms getting grabbed.

The DB behind Davis locked on to Davis`s bicep as the ball was arriving.

Good play on the part of the DB.

• dj43
Originally posted by rapid4:
I'll take Vernon for my tight end any day of the week.

It will be fun to watch and compare Davis to Jason Whitten next week. Whitten, along with Gates, has been the best pass receiving TE in the league for quite a few years now.
I don't know if my time on the webzone as a "lurker", then as a poster, has jaded me, but this thread almost seems like its setting up to excuse smiths poor passing numbers by blaming everyone else. Davis was just about being spooned out there by the defender on that play. Could he have made the play? Possibly, do I give him the blame? No. That play should have ended with a little yellow flag on the field.
He got held.
Anyone who thinks it was a case of alligator arms did not see the replays that clearly showed VD being held from behind...
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Hopefully we can GIF that one like the Lloyd one. But I doubt that will ever get done.

Still waiting to see this YAC phenom he was dubbed to be! Too fast for ............ too strong for ............

Decent player but still not worth the hype. Though the hype has cooled down to a simmer over the years I must say.
Share 49ersWebzone