LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Vernon "Aligator Arms" Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Seems the only differences in this thread are based on perception and expectations. VD is a great TE but he is what he is talent-wise. I would like him to be more flexible and nimble but that might take away from his blocking. Would like to see him recognize the blitz and shorten his routes but...

Good: speed, blocking, attitude, chemistry with QB
Bad: game IQ, rac

Game IQ is the ability to see what is happening and react to help the QB. Does he see the blitz and turn so the QB can hit him with a short gain? No. In comparison, Edwards is looking better and better. He will be Smith's go to guy by the end of the year.

RAC is not what we expected with his speed, but he has straight-line speed, not quick acceleration or turning speed to escape DBs.

Oddly, one of my arguments about the need for time and practice to develop chemistry between receivers and Smith has been disproven by Edwards, who seems to have a better relationship with Smith than anyone on the team, and after only one month of practice! I stand corrected. So, Edwards and VD have great chemistry, Ginn and Morgan are working on chemistry and the other guy is still not able to practice at full speed. They desperately need another receiver to step up.

Good post. Davis certainly isn't perfect, but he's a great playmaker at the TE position.

I get what you're saying about running after the catch... I'd just like to say that his problem is agility, not quick acceleration. He explodes off the line when running his routes. I think that you and I might mean the same thing, but just say it differently.

I would also like to point out that even though I agree with you, the statistics from last season sure don't. Of all starting WRs and TEs Davis had the second most yards after catch per reception. The only guy better was DeSean Jackson.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

You guys confuse Davis' physical being for elite talent. That talent doesn't translate to the football field. His oppurtunities does. You guys will never EVER be able to look past that combine to CORRECTLY judge the talent that is VD.

You must really think Crabtree was a terrible pick, then.

He was targeted more often than Davis was last season.
[ Edited by Wodwo on Sep 17, 2011 at 8:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Good post. Davis certainly isn't perfect, but he's a great playmaker at the TE position.

I get what you're saying about running after the catch... I'd just like to say that his problem is agility, not quick acceleration. He explodes off the line when running his routes. I think that you and I might mean the same thing, but just say it differently.

I would also like to point out that even though I agree with you, the statistics from last season sure don't. Of all starting WRs and TEs Davis had the second most yards after catch per reception. The only guy better was DeSean Jackson.

Yes, that is what I meant to say! My comment about RAC is based on the number of times he just can't sidestep a DB and gain a few more yards. The fact that he is among the leaders shows just how great he can be (will be?) if he's a little shiftier. Not at all putting him down because no player does everything well but he does enough to make him one of the very best.

As far as excelleration goes, he blasts off the line like a sprinter but does not do the same after a catch. Not really surprising given his physique (can't think of a TE who does).

All things considered, I would take him over all but a couple of TEs and then it would be a toss up. My biggest concern with VD is that he leaves us short of the Brent Jones type of guy who always finds an open spot across the first down line. VD has improved in this area though and I keep forgetting how young he is! Perhaps this is a product of the coaching and offensive scheme?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Yes, that is what I meant to say! My comment about RAC is based on the number of times he just can't sidestep a DB and gain a few more yards. The fact that he is among the leaders shows just how great he can be (will be?) if he's a little shiftier. Not at all putting him down because no player does everything well but he does enough to make him one of the very best.

As far as excelleration goes, he blasts off the line like a sprinter but does not do the same after a catch. Not really surprising given his physique (can't think of a TE who does).

All things considered, I would take him over all but a couple of TEs and then it would be a toss up. My biggest concern with VD is that he leaves us short of the Brent Jones type of guy who always finds an open spot across the first down line. VD has improved in this area though and I keep forgetting how young he is! Perhaps this is a product of the coaching and offensive scheme?

Sounds like we're on the same page.

It might be scheme or coaching, I'm not sure. We'll have to see what he does in the WCO under Harbaugh and company.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Sounds like we're on the same page.

It might be scheme or coaching, I'm not sure. We'll have to see what he does in the WCO under Harbaugh and company.

Share 49ersWebzone