There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Originally posted by TexasNiner:
20 quarters of football (including the preseason) and ZERO passing TDs. Our "QB Guru" coach didn't even trust him to throw the ball the vast majority of the time, especially in key situations.

Given all that, he did the best Alex Smith is capable of doing. No turnovers, no sacks and managed to make a few more positive plays than negative with no major mistakes.

That being said, the D, special teams and the fact that Seattle is terrible are the reasons we won this game. If Alex can continue doing his Trent Dilfer impression, we might do ok at times if he continues to avoid making the big errors.

But he sure didn't look like a QB capable of being the reason we win. Just hopefully, not the reason we lose.

You do understand they are still installing the offense...right? When Smith had to make plays he made a couple of very good plays, he completed 75% of his passes scored a TD and didn't turn the ball over. Most importantly, he won the game, that is the only thing that matters. They are going to have to step up the play calling to win next week, Dallas has a crappy secondary but a stout front seven.
I'm not an Alex Smith homer by an standards, and many on this board might recognize me as one of his biggest rational 'haters'. lol.

People are posting credit for individual players. Let me point out some plays where Alex contributed to the win today, and give him credit for them:

1. Awesome blocking on that reverse counter to spring Gore on a 10+ yard run.

2. Runs for positive yardage, especially the ones that picked up first downs.

3.The TD run. 2 important things about this play: 1) His gutsy spinning dive into the endzone. Shows his toughness and moxie. 2) I hear a whole lot of complaining about how the offense scored just 1 TD today. I see. We do need to improve on offense. But I will give Smith credit as he was the player who scored that TD. My main point here is that Smith was overall a bigger part of the 'solution' today rather than a part of the 'problem' as he he is in so many games.

4. That helluva pass to Davis over a couple defenders as he rolled out. I know that play surprised everyone who was watching the game lol

5. Pass where he flushed out to his left and threw it to the back shoulder of VD, where only he could make a play. Sign of excellent chemistry btwn the two.

6. The effectiveness of his hard counts. The Seahawks were called for encroachment/offsides a ton of times this game.

7. The perfect throw to Morgan for 26 yards.

8. No turnovers, no sacks ( although that can mostly be credited to the pass pro of the OL, Thank God)

Overall, I would say that Alex played within the gameplan, which was good. Harbaugh said himself in the post game interview that the ultra-conservative playcalling was because of the fact that he isn't comfortable with how little the players know about the offense. He basically was saying that under the circumstances, he thought the Defense and Smith's game managing would be enough to win this given Sunday, against the Seahawks. I know things got a bit ugly before those 2 TDs by Ginn, but I am content at the time being with this win. We are a team that is behind the 8 ball due to the lockout, and a win against a division rival, no matter how ugly, is welcomed. Lets look forward to some improvement each week. That is what should've been the realistic expectations for this team for 2011. For us to grow over the course of the season and eventually, ideally by the end of the season, look like the Harbaugh led WCO team that we all envisioned. Even then, that might not happen this year, but I think that its awesome that we were able to win by more than 2 scores with 30+ TEAM POINTS. Last time I checked, the final score of each game incorporates the scores by the offense, defense and special teams. This was a team win.

Onto the Cowboys. LETS GO NINERS.
[ Edited by niner4life21 on Sep 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
There was no reason for Harbaugh to show all his tricks today. In the first half the defense quickly took control of the game and Seattle showed no ability to move the ball. Harbaugh has always used a power running game, and today was no different. Go look at some Stanford film and you will see Gearhart pounding the rock more than Luck was throwing it. With the defense controlling the game JH chose not to unwrap very much of his offense. Why show upcoming opponents more of your stuff just to prove you can. Good coaches don't let their ego get in the way like that. Right now, Dallas is stunned by a tough loss and now have to prepare for a team that showed them very little of their playbook. Harbaugh can open things up with stuff the Cowboys have not see. Call if ultra-conservative but it is also good coaching strategy.

Agree, though I would have liked to see Smith work in the red zone today. Dallas will be a better test but boy did they fall apart against the Jets. Was great to see. The 9ers D might finish the job next week.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I'm not an Alex Smith homer by an standards, and many on this board might recognize me as one of his biggest rational 'haters'. lol.

People are posting credit for individual players. Let me point out some plays where Alex contributed to the win today, and give him credit for them:

1. Awesome blocking on that reverse counter to spring Gore on a 10+ yard run.
2. Runs for positive yardage, especially the ones that picked up first downs.
3.The TD run. 2 important things about this play: 1) His gutsy spinning dive into the endzone. Shows his toughness and moxie. 2) I hear a whole lot of complaining about how the offense scored just 2 TDs today. I see. We do need to improve on offense. But I will give Smith credit as he was the player who scored that TD. My main point here is that Smith was overall a bigger part of the 'solution' today rather than a part of the 'problem' as he he is in so many games.
4. That helluva pass to Davis over a couple defenders as he rolled out. I know that play surprised everyone who was watching the game lol
5. Pass where he flushed out to his left and threw it to the back shoulder of VD, where only he could make a play. Sign of excellent chemistry btwn the two.
6. The effectiveness of his hard counts. The Seahawks were called for encroachment/offsides a ton of times this game.
7. The perfect throw to Morgan for 26 yards.
8. No turnovers, no sacks ( although that can mostly be credited to the pass pro of the OL, Thank God)
Overall, I would say that Alex played within the gameplan, which was good. Harbaugh said himself in the post game interview that the ultra-conservative playcalling was because of the fact that he isn't comfortable with how little the players know about the offense. He basically was saying that under the circumstances, he thought the Defense and Smith's game managing would be enough to win this given Sunday, against the Seahawks. I know things got a bit ugly before those 2 TDs by Ginn, but I am content at the time being with this win. We are a team that is behind the 8 ball due to the lockout, and a win against a division rival, no matter how ugly, is welcomed. Lets look forward to some

Really hard to argue with anything here...good post man!

alex smith with a qbr of 97.7
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
People are just ridiculous. He didn't make mistakes he completed 15 of 20 pass attemtps got the W. What more does everyone want? Yeah obviously Cam Newton had a "better" passing game as far as yes are concerned but he also threw the ball nearly twice as much and lost. If anyone wonders why we are referred too as forty whiner fans just look throughout this board today.

As I've said many times, we're called whiner fans because it rhymes with niners. We were called that we were great and celebrating all the time. But of course I'm sure you're just making a point regarding people complaining after a win. But look at the original post. People weren't complaining until they were dared to complain.

really didn't know that? But seriously by "dared to complain" you must mean just clicking on the thread
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
alex smith with a qbr of 97.7

Shouldn't be too surprised. He was in the 90s last year after Johnson took over.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he did well

he played exactly how he was supposed to play

we had 20 practices in a complicated offense did you guys really expect our playbook to open up in week 1?
this, was not bad was not great. Not his call on the 3rd down play calls.
He is STILL being held back, Soon he will be Unleashed!
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
People are just ridiculous. He didn't make mistakes he completed 15 of 20 pass attemtps got the W. What more does everyone want? Yeah obviously Cam Newton had a "better" passing game as far as yes are concerned but he also threw the ball nearly twice as much and lost. If anyone wonders why we are referred too as forty whiner fans just look throughout this board today.

As I've said many times, we're called whiner fans because it rhymes with niners. We were called that we were great and celebrating all the time. But of course I'm sure you're just making a point regarding people complaining after a win. But look at the original post. People weren't complaining until they were dared to complain.

really didn't know that? But seriously by "dared to complain" you must mean just clicking on the thread

No. I mean by clicking on a thread and reading it when it says "I'd love to hear what people have to say about that."
You guys have to remember that all that most ask of Alex Smith is to play average football and this team is ok. You get Alex Smith to complete a 15 yard pass here and there, to take care of the ball, pick up a few first downs, not make any turnovers we will win ball games this way. The 49ers are capable of winning 9-10 wins by Smith playing average football. He needs to manage the game not dominate. This team has talent on both ends of the ball. We can prevail. Harbaugh knows what he is doing.
Originally posted by Born9erFan:
He lost.

Actually the team he played for lost. He was more the reason they were close to winning than he was the actual reason for them losing.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
You guys have to remember that all that most ask of Alex Smith is to play average football and this team is ok. You get Alex Smith to complete a 15 yard pass here and there, to take care of the ball, pick up a few first downs, not make any turnovers we will win ball games this way. The 49ers are capable of winning 9-10 wins by Smith playing average football. He needs to manage the game not dominate. This team has talent on both ends of the ball. We can prevail. Harbaugh knows what he is doing.

I agree with your idea that Harbaugh knows what he is doing, but expect Smith's 'task' to change depending on who we play week to week.

Against the Seahawks, Smith's task was to merely manage the game and not make mistakes. He accomplished that and also helped us win that game with that TD of his. I think that its amazing how people are now second guessing Harbaugh's 'trust' or confidence in Smith.

There is a reason Harbaugh wanted the guy back. I know that Smith is no where near the QB we all wanted him to be when he was drafted #1, but todays offensive performance/gameplan was NOT what Harbaugh had in mind. Unfortunately, the offense hadn't learned enough of the playbook and Harbaugh went with the gameplan to win the game through the defense and turnover-free football. We accomplished that. Smith accomplished that. Anyone who thinks that Smith is no or cannot be trusted to throw the ball is kidding themselves. Despite poor/mediocre play throughout his career, Smith has shown that he CAN throw it when given time. He definitely can, and I expect us to see more of that next week against Dallas.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Here is an interesting comparison: Sam Bradford, thought by many to be the next wunderkind, was 17 for 30 for 188 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 75 QBR. For much of the game he looked lost. He never seemed to have the feel with McDaniel that he had with Shurmur last year.

MORAL: Coaching means a lot. Shurmur put Bradford in a position to succeed. McDaniel never seemed to make that connection today.
Originally posted by dj43:
Here is an interesting comparison: Sam Bradford, thought by many to be the next wunderkind, was 17 for 30 for 188 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 75 QBR. For much of the game he looked lost. He never seemed to have the feel with McDaniel that he had with Shurmur last year.

MORAL: Coaching means a lot. Shurmur put Bradford in a position to succeed. McDaniel never seemed to make that connection today.

Bradford was going up against the Eagles' defense, whereas Alex was going up against the Seahawks. Bradford also lost the centerpiece of the offense (Jackson) to injury in the 1st quarter.

There is no moral to this kinda story when it's an apples to oranges comparison.