There are 173 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
dtg_9er, that's why it's called "pass interference." If the guy doesn't grab Edwards, he makes the catch. That wasn't a bad throw. As far as the color commentator (Lynch) was concerned, the throw was right where it needed to be. Some of you guys have been stewing in your Alex Smith hate for so long, it's affected your judgment. I think we're going to see a lot more endzone fades to Edwards before this season is done and I'm guessing many of them are going to work. The only reason it didn't today was pass interference.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by fister30:
No, it was a bad pass. There should have been illegal contact on the defender but Alex threw the ball too far for Vernon to track it down. I was impressed that Alex threw the ball to the proper shoulder (Vernons) but the pass was 5 yards too far.

Ill say it again (not in frustration) that VD gave up early on that play, that last post took so long cause I am on my phone.
It was a good pass. Davis slowed down at the end and gave up on it. If he lays out, he has a chance to make the catch and everyone is saying "great pass!" But, he thought he was going to get leveled by the safety. Take another look. And, by the way, that's what Lynch thought in the booth as well.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I understand. You began in the 80's. That would warp any fan. People don't realize how extraordinary those 20 years between '81 and 2000 were in NFL history. I don't think any team has ever had such a long consistent record of winning, especially the 15 years between 81 and the mid 90's. I saw my first Niner game as a grammar school kid in 1957. So, I've seen them down, up, down, up, way down, way up and back to way down again. But really, has there ever been any NFL team with two Hall of Fame QB's on the same roster? Has there ever been a team with two in a row? If Rogers continues to be great, that will happen again, but you just can't expect it to happen because it's extraordinary. I'll be very happy if Smith grows into this system and starts throwing 300 yard, 2-3 TD games. When and if that happens, I expect a lot of the haters will turn into believers. I guess what always amazes me, though, is how people take his failure personally and let it grow into this persistent hate for the young man. I always root for the Niners QB. I always hope for the best for whomever is QB for the Niners. In the case of Alex Smith, it's easy for me because he's a genuinely good guy and a gamer. He takes hits, he comes back and plays with a dislocated throwing shoulder, he doesn't complain, he doesn't b***h out his linemen when he gets sacked and he shows commitment to the franchise. That doesn't make me a "fanboy." I've never worn any player's jersey. It's easy, especially after these last ten years of failure, to predict failure, but what's the point? Most teams will fail every year. It's not a bold prediction to say the Niners won't make the playoffs. That doesn't mean someone is smart. All it means is that he's making a safe prediction. I'm hoping for surprises. I'm hoping for the best. That's not wearing rose colored glasses. It's simply hoping for the best and being a positive as possible.

Very well said! Our experience (and age) is similar and, although my reaction to the negativilty tonight has been sarcasm, I prefer your approach. You have pretty well said what I have been thinking and feeling. We 9er fans have been very fortunate through the years and though recent years have been a draught, players like Smith are genuinely decent guys who deserves our best wishes, if not support. I do not understand those who post non-stop negativity.

Thank you for a serious statement on this topic.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I understand. You began in the 80's. That would warp any fan. People don't realize how extraordinary those 20 years between '81 and 2000 were in NFL history. I don't think any team has ever had such a long consistent record of winning, especially the 15 years between 81 and the mid 90's. I saw my first Niner game as a grammar school kid in 1957. So, I've seen them down, up, down, up, way down, way up and back to way down again. But really, has there ever been any NFL team with two Hall of Fame QB's on the same roster? Has there ever been a team with two in a row? If Rogers continues to be great, that will happen again, but you just can't expect it to happen because it's extraordinary. I'll be very happy if Smith grows into this system and starts throwing 300 yard, 2-3 TD games. When and if that happens, I expect a lot of the haters will turn into believers. I guess what always amazes me, though, is how people take his failure personally and let it grow into this persistent hate for the young man. I always root for the Niners QB. I always hope for the best for whomever is QB for the Niners. In the case of Alex Smith, it's easy for me because he's a genuinely good guy and a gamer. He takes hits, he comes back and plays with a dislocated throwing shoulder, he doesn't complain, he doesn't b***h out his linemen when he gets sacked and he shows commitment to the franchise. That doesn't make me a "fanboy." I've never worn any player's jersey. It's easy, especially after these last ten years of failure, to predict failure, but what's the point? Most teams will fail every year. It's not a bold prediction to say the Niners won't make the playoffs. That doesn't mean someone is smart. All it means is that he's making a safe prediction. I'm hoping for surprises. I'm hoping for the best. That's not wearing rose colored glasses. It's simply hoping for the best and being a positive as possible.

Very well said! Our experience (and age) is similar and, although my reaction to the negativilty tonight has been sarcasm, I prefer your approach. You have pretty well said what I have been thinking and feeling. We 9er fans have been very fortunate through the years and though recent years have been a draught, players like Smith are genuinely decent guys who deserves our best wishes, if not support. I do not understand those who post non-stop negativity.

Originally posted by Dshearn:
That he needed 20 pass attempts to reach the mid 120s in yardage and scored 1 time.

This is "classic" Alex smith against a crap team.

Thank god for Ginn .......

so tell me what was the score when Ginn made those plays? Oh, wait that's right it was 17-19 Niners. Hmm...seems like Ginns plays were just icing on the cake.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Well said. Go 9ers, go Smiths.
Originally posted by aman49:
That was Alex's passer rating today.

I'd love to hear what people have to say about that.

I read it was 97.7. That was part of a statistic that in games when Alex' QB rating exceeds 96.0, the team has never lost!
dtg_9er, that's why it's called "pass interference." If the guy doesn't grab Edwards, he makes the catch. That wasn't a bad throw. As far as the color commentator (Lynch) was concerned, the throw was right where it needed to be. Some of you guys have been stewing in your Alex Smith hate for so long, it's affected your judgment. I think we're going to see a lot more endzone fades to Edwards before this season is done and I'm guessing many of them are going to work. The only reason it didn't today was pass interference.

Yes, Edwards actually is the type of receiver I think Crabtree is going to be, so when the two of them are playing together at full speed I would expect many of those receptions using the WRs body to shield the ball from the defender. Crabtree did that extremely well at Texas Tech. Both have the ability to catch with one hand and once Smith gets some practice with Crabtree this year it will be exciting to watch. Teams won't know how to handle the two of them and VD.

I fall into the same category as you two as well, and the posts I have seen on here from some of our fans would get them the backside of my hand if they weren't 2/3rds of the country away. They wanna talk about disgraceful performances, I say look in the mirror first. Some of you guys are worse at being fans than Smith is at being a QB.

Anyone wearing a Niner jersey has my best wishes. I'm sure everyone on this board wants the team to succeed. It's just that some of us do not think we can be a successful franchise with Alex starting. I think he's a good guy and hard worker and would love if he set the world on fire, for him and for the team, but it has never looked like he has it in him. At the end of the day, regardless of whether I like a guy, I want players than can help make my team great, and I don't think just because we were great in the 80's and 90's, that it's unrealistic to want us to be great again.

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana19:
Montana is my forum name....Sorry im Spoiled i watched this team threw the 80s and early 90s and unfortantly since 2005 as well , i was even one of you fanboys that hurried and bought my Alex Smith jersey the moment he was drafted and i wore it proudly until after his first start and i havent put it back on since and wont until he actually proves something more then a few good games here and there.....CONSISTENCY never hurt anyone.

I may be a so called "hater" but I root for Alex just as much as anyone. No question the kid is a fighter and I know he puts his heart and soul into the game. I want Alex to do great and I wish him well every time, after all, he is the starting QB for my beloved team. That being said, he just doesn't have that "it" factor that the good to elite QBs have no matter how much of a good guy he is or whether he works hard.
I don't know about you guys, but he just seemed like the same old Alex to me. That doesn't mean he was bad, just the same. Unless our defense becomes dominate, we wont win many games.
Solid, safe game from him today. IMO, being upset with him for not making more plays is like getting mad at a Civic for not being a Ferrari.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Anyone wearing a Niner jersey has my best wishes. I'm sure everyone on this board wants the team to succeed. It's just that some of us do not think we can be a successful franchise with Alex starting. I think he's a good guy and hard worker and would love if he set the world on fire, for him and for the team, but it has never looked like he has it in him. At the end of the day, regardless of whether I like a guy, I want players than can help make my team great, and I don't think just because we were great in the 80's and 90's, that it's unrealistic to want us to be great again.
I think the point was that too many people expect every QB we draft to have to be Montana reincarnated or he gets labeled a bust. Today's performance was not impressive from a passing standpoint, but people are acting like it was the end of the world out there. Harbaugh is still installing the offense, it is going to be ragged and will get better. If Smith plays as well as he did today, the passing yards will come. He was accurate and didn't make any poor decisions that cost the team. I will take that with a win every game. People just need to realize that we were not only lucky, but blessed to have two back to back hall of famers, and that some teams have never had a hall of fame QB at all. Sure it would be great to have a top 5 QB, but it is a proven fact that you do not have to have one to win if you have a good team.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

It isn't that we can't be great again, it is just that if our QB isn't 40-40 for 400yds with 4tds 0ints it was a failure of a game.

That is an exaggeration but not far off. So many peoples have been pampered because they know very little before joe cool. I meancome on dude people were. Not happy with steve young, how would jeff garcia stand a chance? Then alex had to follow jeff with a moron as a coach who hired a defensive guy as a QB coach. I know it is alexcuses or whatever. But I am not a jock swinger I usually stay out of it because I see both sides.
Share 49ersWebzone