There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

W was good.....but I hope they have a more aggressive game plan for next week against the Boys. Andre Ware is a beast at getting after the QB, this is where quick throws and the running game needs to be on track.
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

What game were you watching? Honestly

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.

LOL. High throws and missing open WRs, wtf?
I counted about 3 high passes from Alex including one in the end zone to Edwards who was open and there is absolutely no excuse for missing a wide open Crabs for a TD instead he did his patented check down to Gore. Both of those plays would have put the game away early rather than kicking FGs.

He wasnt wide open when he looked to his next option. Or do you know nothing about the game?
Its called being calm and collected, reading the defense and throwing to a spot where the WR is going to be which would have netted a TD to Crabs. Checking down just seems like the safer option for Alex and we've seen this for the past 6 seasons. However, your infatuation with Alex is only blinding you from seeing the reality of the situation.
You clearly have no idea how progression reads work, he looked at Vd first ala his first read, his next read was very clearly Gore as soon as he tookone hitch and looked that way the ball was gone just like it should of been. Stop talking about things you clearly have no idea about, Crabtree was likely a read or two after Gore because of the route he ran. Please stop talking like you havent any sort of knowledge of the game bc the sstuff you are saying literally just makes you look more and more stupid to anyone that has any sort of WCO knowledge.
Originally posted by fastforward:
One thing that I saw on the highlights of the AZ game was that the Cardinals defense had too many lapses allowing the big plays. The 49ers defense didn't make many crucial mistakes today.
That's what I'm talking about. Let's see what he will do against better defenses. Ah, what do I'm talking about, who the heck cares about Newton and the Panthers.

We won the game today. Do we have much space for improvement? OF COURSE we do, god damn it. We have a new staff, a new system and so on. Nevertheless, we won and it's not like we had a lot of luck. We ripped the chickens apart in the 1st half, we werent there in the 3rd quarter and somehow they come as close as two points. That happens. We won anyway.
I did expect a loss aka disaster, got a win.

/thread
Its called being calm and collected, reading the defense and throwing to a spot where the WR is going to be which would have netted a TD to Crabs. Checking down just seems like the safer option for Alex and we've seen this for the past 6 seasons. However, your infatuation with Alex is only blinding you from seeing the reality of the situation.

And yet the commentators themselves mentioned that the checkdown to Gore was the correct read on the play. Have you neglected to acknowledge this information?
I actually liked some of the play calling, those misdirection runs where alex smith was blocking got us 10 yards each, also the shifts where nice to see. Harbaugh and company opened it up a little but because of the faith he had in the defense probably didnt wanna show too much. Very smart in my opinion and you can also see the potential it has to get people open. Im optimistic tho...
Originally posted by boogie:
Just feel that the offense could have done more. Too conservative. Does Harbaugh not trust Smith? Almost felt like Singletary was via satellite calling the plays. :|

Two things....I don't think he fully trusts the o-line yet. Today everytime Alex looked deep, he was either scrambling for his life or having to quickly rush the throw. So I think the short passes were an excellent game plan to keep Alex's confidence up and keep the momentum stable (barring the third quarter ). Then second, this offense is only a little over a month having been implemented, so it will take time. I'd bet the team has only practiced about 70-75 percent of the playbook at this point. Give it a few weeks brother and I think you will see a little more diversity in the offense. Just enjoy the win because God knows we haven't had a lot of that for a long time so get it while you can.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Agreed, I think Gore has definitely lost a step or two. He looks like he's wearing down and its probably time to think about Hunter as a 3rd down back and having Dixon on goal line situations. That being said, it looks like the same old s**t from #11, high throws, check downs, and missing wide open WRs.

What game were you watching? Honestly

Well, it's like ground hog's day with Alex....Same s**t different season and with another new coach, because its never #11's fault.

LOL. High throws and missing open WRs, wtf?
I counted about 3 high passes from Alex including one in the end zone to Edwards who was open and there is absolutely no excuse for missing a wide open Crabs for a TD instead he did his patented check down to Gore. Both of those plays would have put the game away early rather than kicking FGs.

He wasnt wide open when he looked to his next option. Or do you know nothing about the game?
You clearly have no idea how progression reads work, he looked at Vd first ala his first read, his next read was very clearly Gore as soon as he tookone hitch and looked that way the ball was gone just like it should of been. Stop talking about things you clearly have no idea about, Crabtree was likely a read or two after Gore because of the route he ran. Please stop talking like you havent any sort of knowledge of the game bc the sstuff you are saying literally just makes you look more and more stupid to anyone that has any sort of WCO knowledge.

If you look at the play, they had a bracket defense on VD which means they had a CB on VD with the safety cheating to VD's side which allowed Crabs to be open. A good QB would have read that and would have known that Crabs would be wide open. Btw, there is no reasoning with you Alex Smith jockstrap sniffers. Its always excuse after excuse, hell some of you are even blaming Harbaugh which is really sad. Goodness!
[ Edited by obx49 on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:48 PM ]
First, I want this team to win...no matter how they do it.
Second, I want them to get better every week.

Week one is a win and now we have a starting point for getting better.
If anyone listened to the post game interviews, Harbaugh owned up to the horrible play calling in the red zone and did not throw any of his players under the bus. He basically admitted that he still didn't know his players well enough and he was conservative because of that. I'll take the W and the red zone will be something to work on going forward.
If you look at the play, they had a bracket defense on VD which means they had a CB on VD with the safety cheating to VD's side which allowed Crabs to be open. A good QB would have read that and would have known that Crabs would be wide open. Btw, there is no reasoning with you Alex Smith jockstrap sniffers. Its always excuse after excuse, hell some of you are even blaming Harbaugh which is really sad. Goodness!
What the hell is your problem. Nobody said that Alex is our future. We just agree that he did his job and that this play was his fault (some guys think it's not but ok, everyone has an opinion), it happens. He is not Manning and he won't ever be a Franchise QB unless he makes an unexpected jump...
[ Edited by communist on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:57 PM ]

Blaming for what? Getting the victory? Damn that Harbaugh! Winning, what the heck does he think he's doing/!
Originally posted by boogie:
Just feel that the offense could have done more. Too conservative. Does Harbaugh not trust Smith? Almost felt like Singletary was via satellite calling the plays. :|

Harbaugh absolutely trusts Smith to a point, but he obviously does not trust him to enough to open up the field. Coach did enough to win the game and that is good with me. Sure I was frustrated with what was going on, but no more than the past 8 years.

LMAO, so you know that wasnt a bracket coverage lol...please continue talking, that was a sink covrage, just an FYI but please continue, not to mention Crabtree and Vernon were working in close quarters on their routes I.e an out/drag combo (hence the defense playing it as a sink) Alex probably read it as such saw an inside/ outside technique on the two of them effectively taking out both of their routes, (when played properly the db's simply would of switched the man they were covering, hence the reasoning for their inside and outside technique on the two of them) next read goes to gore, Smith hitches, reads and throws, EXACTLY like he should of. John Lynch an all-pro safety analyzedd the play 2 minutes after it happened and gave props to Smith but i suppose you know more about coverages then an All-pro safety as well? If you read my post about Alex this year i think it would be safe to say that I have been as harsh as anyone on the guy. but please continue and enlighten us with your madden talk.
[ Edited by nvchamp9ers on Sep 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
What the hell is your problem. Nobody said that Alex is our future. We just agree that he did his job and that this play was his fault (some guys think it's not but ok, everyone has an opinion), it happens. He is not Manning and he won't ever be a Franchise QB unless he makes an unexpected jump...

What the hell is your problem? Listen, you might not think Alex is a franchise QB, but based on their comments on other threads throughout Alex's 7 year career, some believe that Alex is the next Joe Montana (see Alex Smith thread.) Hey, you might like being patient, but I'm not. This is just getting really ridiculous, if we all know by now that Alex is not the answer and the coaches do as well then why not make a change already. Its obvious by the play calling today that Harbaugh just doesn't trust Alex. Do you think if Harbaugh had Aaron Rogers at QB rather that Alex Smith then Harbaugh would call the same plays? I think not.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Gore didn't look good at all! Even when our line wasn't blocking before he was running angry and with power. Today he did not look like himself. Hopefully he is just trying to get his legs back and not a down hill slope to his career.