LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

0 sacks allowed, 0 turnovers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm as irritated with the playcalling at times over the course of this game as many folks are, but you're not going to lose a lot of games when you're putting zeroes up in those two categories. Considering their lack of weapons and historically young O-Line, protecting the ball may very well have been the correct strategy. I'm hoping that we open things up a bit in future games, but you have to play the opponent in front of you.

It wasn't aesthetically pleasing, but Harbaugh probably played this game correctly on the offensive end, IMO.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Sep 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Lock ? Post annoying gif's and or meme's ? Search Function ? Pick on the n00b ? Oh wait....it's a Pete thread...on gameday...in NinerTalk.

I like it!
I think Harbaugh's keeping it conservative because the players just don't know the offense very well, which is pretty understandable. I think it becomes less and less conservative as the season goes on and they get more familiarity with the offense.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I think Harbaugh's keeping it conservative because the players just don't know the offense very well, which is pretty understandable. I think it becomes less and less conservative as the season goes on and they get more familiarity with the offense.

Agree
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Agree

This, it was frustrating as hell though. Ginn bailed us out, we would have went 3 and out on that offensive possesion.
Seattle is one of the weakest teams in the league, and we struggled against them. Yes, there is a learning curve with this new offense, but Harbaugh might as well "test" this playbook now against teams like Seattle, rather than wait until Dallas comes along as gives us a real whooping.

Of course, this game has shown, yet again, how limited Alex Smith is. He just cannot play outside the box, and he barely takes advantage of opportunities given to him. Some might cite that 20 pass plays might is not the ideal sample size to judge Alex on; hell, Im sure some his fans will even point out the 75% completion percentage and think he had a monster game, but comeon......the guy checks down even when he has time, and you can see the toll it took on his offensive players.

We eek out a win against Seattle..........next week might be a disaster.
Forgot to add.

You can thank Alex for managing the offense with zero turnovers, and keeping the risky throws to a minimum.

Also, alex was missing his customary WTF throw, so thats improvement in and of itself.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Just keep in mind that this formula will not win games against any decent team in this league. Basically Ginn's two returns were jackpot strikes. Prior to that, the offense was facing the prospect of at least holding onto the ball with over 4:00 on the clock in a 2 pt game.

How much faith do you have that they could have done that?
Originally posted by kray28:
Just keep in mind that this formula will not win games against any decent team in this league. Basically Ginn's two returns were jackpot strikes. Prior to that, the offense was facing the prospect of at least holding onto the ball with over 4:00 on the clock in a 2 pt game.

How much faith do you have that they could have done that?

I'm 90% sure we would have gone 3 and out, had ginn not run that back.
Nice post, LA9erfan.

I think you're dead to rights, whether we care to admit it or not, we are starting from square one this season, and this is kinda how you have to do it.

Jim just showed me why he was the most sought after coach this off season, he has a good grip on reality and knows we are not the 16-0 Patriots. We will not win if Alex Smith is dropping back 40 times a game. I'm sure he did not expect to be THIS conservative in a regular season game, but when your off season is shortened and you have so much new personnel, it's a must to get every on the same page. Our main thing is fine tuning the line and getting timing down between the wideouts and Alex. Keep in mind this was Crabs, VD, and BE's first time playing together at one time. When Peyton was out most of the pre-season with the knee issue it took him like 4-6 weeks to get his timing down. I think Alex is comfy with throwing to our options and knowing what works for them best, now we just need to get the playbook down, and make sure the oline is in stable.
Originally posted by mella31:
Seattle is one of the weakest teams in the league, and we struggled against them. Yes, there is a learning curve with this new offense, but Harbaugh might as well "test" this playbook now against teams like Seattle, rather than wait until Dallas comes along as gives us a real whooping.

Of course, this game has shown, yet again, how limited Alex Smith is. He just cannot play outside the box, and he barely takes advantage of opportunities given to him. Some might cite that 20 pass plays might is not the ideal sample size to judge Alex on; hell, Im sure some his fans will even point out the 75% completion percentage and think he had a monster game, but comeon......the guy checks down even when he has time, and you can see the toll it took on his offensive players.

We eek out a win against Seattle..........next week might be a disaster.

We beat them by double their score, how did we eek out against them??
we still aren't clicking at 100% and this is going to take some time, I'm guessing by week 4-5 things start to open up a lot more
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
We beat them by double their score, how did we eek out against them??

FInal score was not indicative of how the actual game went. Granted, I see huge potential in our offense, if you look at how we played right before the half in that 2 min drill. When we aren't being conservative we might score some points.
Yes. And did anyone actually pay attention to the fact that Seattle has a very good Run D?

The media and beat reporters were mentioning that the entire week. I know the run blocking was putrid, but they played a big beefy DL that is good at run stopping. The problem in my opinion was how Roman kept going back to the run...
Share 49ersWebzone