LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 134 users in the forums

0 sacks allowed, 0 turnovers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
The question wasn't if a hat should be hung on it or not, the question was if it is reasonable to claim 90% certainty that we were about to go three and out.
He exaggerates of course, but the fact that we had very little success on 3rd downs, and our mixed results to sustain drives in the 2nd half did not inspire confidence that they would sustain a drive at that critical point of the game with momentum seemingly on Seattle's side.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Just be happy we won. I was at the game and you could hear a pin drop after the Seachicken's WR had that long TD. The momentum definitly was on the Seachickens side. We are learning on the fly. Good thing we got a strong D.

I'm glad you were there. It was disheartening to see so many empty seats on TV.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:43 PM ]
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by BobS:
You are right, I guess you need to be a knowledgeable fan to think 209 yards of total offense with 124 passing yards at home against a bottom feeder is something to be excited about.

It's an neat rhetorical trick, but it's unfair to say that there are people who are "excited" about the win. As far as I can tell there are people who are happy about the win, and then other people who are complaining about the win, and the people who are happy are arguing with the people who are complaining.

We all want to see better offensive performances, there isn't anybody who is insisting that the offense was great.

+1... I agree with you 110% Popeye. Sure the offense wasn't in rare form, but hell it's the 1ST GAME OF THE SEASON. Our offense looked a hell of a lot better than a lot of teams. Winning ball games isn't something you learn over night, you have to learn how to win all types of games. This was a grind it out game with two head coaches and teams who know each other VERY VERY WELL. One of Harbaugh's players from last season is a Seahawk now, so Jim couldn't pull out all the stops if he wanted to. We didn't show them much on offense today, now we add a little week by week and next time we play them, then we go for the jugular. Say what you want folks but the Seahawks had a better season than us last year based on expectation with pretty much the same team. This team looked totally different than that circus Singletary ran out last season. Oh and keep in mind our best defensive player had a some what off day, and a middle of the pack guy Ray McD, looked good despite getting a big pay day. I think we are just seeing the floor of our potential, sure we will have some tough losses this season but you live and you learn.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Just be happy we won. I was at the game and you could hear a pin drop after the Seachicken's WR had that long TD. The momentum definitly was on the Seachickens side. We are learning on the fly. Good thing we got a strong D.

I'm actually more concerned about our defense than our offense, to be honest. The D was fantastic in the 1st half, but Seattle...led by Tarvaris Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, an incredibly young OL, and mediocre weapons at WR...got pretty much what they wanted in the 2nd half.

i agree, that was extremely troubling.

Seriously? How many 3 and outs did our D have to deal with. They where on the field almost the whole game. They had one bad series and one blown play. Remember that this D is new too. Your telling me that our D is more troubling than our offense when they can't even punch it in on the one yard line? In fact, they went backwards......I think your expectations are too high.

I'm actually more concerned about our defense than our offense, to be honest. The D was fantastic in the 1st half, but Seattle...led by Tarvaris Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, an incredibly young OL, and mediocre weapons at WR...got pretty much what they wanted in the 2nd half.

Seriously? How many 3 and outs did our D have to deal with. They where on the field almost the whole game. They had one bad series and one blown play. Remember that this D is new too. Your telling me that our D is more troubling than our offense when they can't even punch it in on the one yard line? In fact, they went backwards......I think your expectations are too high.

you're not concerned by how effortlessly Tavaris Jackson picked apart our defense in the third quarter? Yes, they were on the field too long, and yes, I agree that the offense is "more of a concern," and yes, overall, our defense--the front seven, at least--were good. But, still, Seattle came out after the half and whatever adjustments they made allowed them to move the ball and take momentum. That's not good, no?

The defense had issues in the second half due to playing so much, the offense had too many 3 and outs (three to be exact). We had 3 possessions of about 6 mins, Seattle had one drive nearly that long. Seattle ran 23 plays in the third, the longest rest our defense had between series was 2mins 23seconds. Infact on that 53 yarder we gave up the defense only had a 1:34 ticks of rest in between plays. We had ONE drive of double digit plays and that was the last drive in the fourth with the Akers flop. With all that said... 3 turnovers (2 fumbles, 1 int), 5 sacks, 8 QB hits, 9 tackles for a loss, 8 passes deflected and only 17 points allowed is pretty f'n solid. Imagine if we minimize the dumb penalties on defense and the offense even convert HALF of the 3rd downs.....

you're not concerned by how effortlessly Tavaris Jackson picked apart our defense in the third quarter? Yes, they were on the field too long, and yes, I agree that the offense is "more of a concern," and yes, overall, our defense--the front seven, at least--were good. But, still, Seattle came out after the half and whatever adjustments they made allowed them to move the ball and take momentum. That's not good, no?

Stop listening to the commentators dude, the Seahawks didn't make any adjustments. Our offense couldn't give our defense a breather, that's not an adjustment.
we had the ball longer than Seattle. why wasn't their defense so exhausted that they couldn't cover our 3rd and 4th receivers?

...and if the Seahawks made no adjustments, why was the defense so susceptible to their attack after half-time, when, presumably, they got a decent "breather"?
[ Edited by HessianDud on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:55 PM ]
Originally posted by mella31:
Seattle is one of the weakest teams in the league, and we struggled against them. Yes, there is a learning curve with this new offense, but Harbaugh might as well "test" this playbook now against teams like Seattle, rather than wait until Dallas comes along as gives us a real whooping.

Of course, this game has shown, yet again, how limited Alex Smith is. He just cannot play outside the box, and he barely takes advantage of opportunities given to him. Some might cite that 20 pass plays might is not the ideal sample size to judge Alex on; hell, Im sure some his fans will even point out the 75% completion percentage and think he had a monster game, but comeon......the guy checks down even when he has time, and you can see the toll it took on his offensive players.

We eek out a win against Seattle..........next week might be a disaster.

LOL! alex is at fault for the conservative playcalling? are you saying we played a conservative game because of his limits? Please. I suppose his two big plays (on the money throws to Morgan and davis) were flukes? the WHOLE team is somewhat limited because of tje short offseason and the fact that not even half the playbook is not available. relax and be happy with the win-AND THE FACT THAT ALEX DIDN'T LOSE IT FOR US.
Fellas we won the game in every phase... sure our offense was less than spectacular, but what do you expect we have a non threat at the most important position in the game. We will lose games against teams with better qb's, and Jim no matter how special a coach can't help that. Once we get some legit qb play we will be good again. Until then enjoy they wins we get.

This was very lose-able game. Bad coaching would have easily lost this game, bad preparation as well. But this team isn't making all the mental mistakes they made under singletary.

Harbaugh is a solid leader
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
This was very lose-able game. Bad coaching would have easily lost this game, bad preparation as well. But this team isn't making all the mental mistakes they made under singletary.

Agreed... how many mistakes die A. Davis make? not many, that is enough for me. If the mistakes are eliminated at least we have a chance to have a decent Sunday.
Originally posted by b9er37:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Agreed... how many mistakes die A. Davis make? not many, that is enough for me. If the mistakes are eliminated at least we have a chance to have a decent Sunday.

We were a playoff team last year from a weak division, but coaching lost games like this due to lack of discipline.
People need to chill. Lots of positives to take from this game. Everytime we were in a position to score we did. They had the lead the whole game and kept it. Won the turnover battle. Won the LOS battle. Our front 7 was incredible in the 1st half. I think Alex had a really solid game, made some good throws picked up yards where available. You couldn't ask him to do more than what he did today.
The o line played well today. They were great on passing downs. They gave alex plenty of time to throw the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone