There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How much are Harbaugh, Edwards, West Coast Offense, etc. worth to Alex Smith's game?

25% improvement? 20%? 15%?

Let's say that these things allow him to improve 10%. That seems reasonable to me.

Let's take his 2010 stats for 11 games (342 ATT 204 COMP 59.6% 2,370 YDS 14 TD 10 INT) and move them over 16: 497 ATT 297 COMP 59.6% 3,447 YDS 20 TD 15 INT

10% overall improvement would be - 547 ATT 359 COMP 65.6% 3,792 YDS 22 TD 13 INT. Yards are probably a bit high when one considers the short passing game of the WCO, but the idea is sound.

Even a 5% improvement from him would be good if the INT numbers can be a bit lower - 522 ATT 332 COMP 63.6% 3,619 YDS 21 TD 14 INT.

Thoughts? *awaits endless debate*
It's a wait and see for me because even open plays in previous offenses, Alex Smith was able to eff them up. And yes, a curl route that is a yard open that is thrown late enough to allow the DB to close and make the tackle is an eff-up on Alex Smith. He is doing this in Harbaugh's system also: throwing the ball after the curl rather than on the hip drop of the receiver prior to the receiver turning for the ball.
Another Alex Smith thread.... Really??
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Another Alex Smith thread.... Really??

Well, it was on my mind, and the old "official thread" was closed.

To me, though, this is more about what Harbaugh et al are worth. Is anyone here gonna say that Smith will be worse with these better aspects surrounding him? Just the same as under Singletary, Raye/Johnson, etc.? Just having Frank Gore running behind a disguised scheme will be worth a ton to Smith, IMO.
We'll find out starting Sunday.
I like eggs n bacon with english muffins. Sometimes just regular toast but depending on the eggs butter or jam. Scrambled ill take jam but if eggs are over medium ill take butter on my toast or muffin. Sometimes you just need to dip in the egg yolk and i needs to have some butter with a pinch of salt. I also need butter not some margerine or some greasy type of spread but real damn butter. I really could go either way with hash browns or a extra side of bacon. Unless the hash browns have cheese n onions in them. I just love hash browns with cheese n onions. More so if my eggs are over medium with bacon and english muffin or toast with butter. I sometimes like juice and coffee with my eggs,bacon, hashbrowns and english muffin/toast. I can never have just either or its gotta be both. Sometimes ill settle for a sweet tea with not 1 or 2 but 3 slices of lemon. Its a complete breakfast that does a body good.
effect on his boneheaded moments at critical junctures late in a close and meaningful game?

0.0%
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:

True. But even if he has as good a game as he did last year against Seattle (2nd game), people will just say "It was Seattle - let's see how he does against Dallas".

And then if he has a good game against Dallas they'll say "It was at home. Let's see how he does on the road."

And then if he has a good game against Cincinnati they'll say "It was the Bengals. Let's see how he does against the Eagles."

So, it'll take 4 straight good games for him to even be considered better. And that last one is the kicker - in Philly against that pass defense. So, three good games and a bad 4th one against one of the better pass defenses and we'll see "same old Alex" posts.

The cycle will never end, LOL.
If the 1st series in the last exhibition game is a small window - then I'll say the WCO will enhance his performance greatly. Short safe throws mixed w/effective running and then a play action or 2 will work well for him.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
effect on his boneheaded moments at critical junctures late in a close and meaningful game?

0.0%

Those were some boneheaded moments against the Saints last year, I tell ya.
We'll just have to wait and see. I have heard Harbaugh is a qb guru, but think Smith might be his biggest challenge considering the damage done by former coaching. I have always believed that Smith could be a decent qb with the proper coaching, and that he was best suited for the WCO. Walsh used to say that to see how good a qb can be you takes his ten best plays. Then you coach that player into being consistently that good. During the Walsh years if a play was sloppy in practice, Walsh would make the team line up and run it until they could execute it without having to think about it. When I saw that under Nolan they would just move on if the play was ragged, I just could not believe it. Needless to say, this terrible practice continued under Singletary. With Harbaugh and the return of the WCO, I expect the consistency to go up not just with Smith, but with the team in general. I feel better about this team now than at any point in the past decade. We might not be playoff bound this year, but I fully expect to field a more competitive team this year.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:

True. But even if he has as good a game as he did last year against Seattle (2nd game), people will just say "It was Seattle - let's see how he does against Dallas".

And then if he has a good game against Dallas they'll say "It was at home. Let's see how he does on the road."

And then if he has a good game against Cincinnati they'll say "It was the Bengals. Let's see how he does against the Eagles."

So, it'll take 4 straight good games for him to even be considered better. And that last one is the kicker - in Philly against that pass defense. So, three good games and a bad 4th one against one of the better pass defenses and we'll see "same old Alex" posts.

The cycle will never end, LOL.

Let's wait and see if he has a good game. So far he's only had good quarters.
A: Not as much as a properly functioning o-line.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

0.0%

This. When it matters most, this guy sh!ts the bed.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We'll just have to wait and see. I have heard Harbaugh is a qb guru, but think Smith might be his biggest challenge considering the damage done by former coaching. I have always believed that Smith could be a decent qb with the proper coaching, and that he was best suited for the WCO. Walsh used to say that to see how good a qb can be you takes his ten best plays. Then you coach that player into being consistently that good. During the Walsh years if a play was sloppy in practice, Walsh would make the team line up and run it until they could execute it without having to think about it. When I saw that under Nolan they would just move on if the play was ragged, I just could not believe it. Needless to say, this terrible practice continued under Singletary. With Harbaugh and the return of the WCO, I expect the consistency to go up not just with Smith, but with the team in general. I feel better about this team now than at any point in the past decade. We might not be playoff bound this year, but I fully expect to field a more competitive team this year.

Good post.