There are 186 users in the forums

How much are Harbaugh, Edwards, West Coast Offense, etc. worth to Alex Smith's game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we can't accurately judge alex this year due to the lockout and not enough time with this new system. one more year in this system and then i can critique him correctly.

nah jk
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
effect on his boneheaded moments at critical junctures late in a close and meaningful game?

0.0%

This. When it matters most, this guy sh!ts the bed.

Don't think that's necessarily true. The guy has several game-winning or tying 4th quarter drives, or OT winning drives to his credit while being here.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
effect on his boneheaded moments at critical junctures late in a close and meaningful game?

0.0%

Don't think that's necessarily true. The guy has several game-winning or tying 4th quarter drives, or OT winning drives to his credit while being here.

Please refrain from confusing the argument with facts. Or reason.

This is Ninertalk.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

0.0%

This is Ninertalk.

yeah his brilliant performance @San Diego last year comes to mind

0.0%

this.

Several? lol

You must be including meaningless games against s**t opponents.
In games that matter against non-scrub opponents he's been a failure. Hopefully that changes with Harbaugh.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by rapid4:
Smith will have more completions under the WCO, but they will be mostly 5-6 yarders like we have seen in the preseason. Hopefully, Harbaugh will get his mechanics to the point where he won't be throwing the short ones over the receivers' heads or at their feet. Smith continues to look down his receivers, but that may not lead to as many INTs if the passes are shorter. Big question is whether Smith will ever adapt to a timing offense and release the ball before the receiver has completed his move.

This offense could lead to more INT's by Smith because it depends on more "blind" quick throws rather than the 12 yard route/check down if not comfortable. In the prior offense, the check downs were in very safe locations. In the WCO, the checkdowns are not always in the flat and are more towards the short middle of at the hash marks 2-5 yarders. The INT he threw to the Raiders player is a perfect example of a misread.

I just hope he doesn't clamp up after a couple of misread INT's. He's one I could easily see clamp up and then resort back to "see the man open then throw" mentality.

LOL...are you guys watching the game? "Staring down" is the one thing he is NOT doing. It's what caused his INT against the Raiders. Harbaugh even said it. Smith just "didn't look, lol" and threw the pick.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by rapid4:
Smith will have more completions under the WCO, but they will be mostly 5-6 yarders like we have seen in the preseason. Hopefully, Harbaugh will get his mechanics to the point where he won't be throwing the short ones over the receivers' heads or at their feet. Smith continues to look down his receivers, but that may not lead to as many INTs if the passes are shorter. Big question is whether Smith will ever adapt to a timing offense and release the ball before the receiver has completed his move.

This offense could lead to more INT's by Smith because it depends on more "blind" quick throws rather than the 12 yard route/check down if not comfortable. In the prior offense, the check downs were in very safe locations. In the WCO, the checkdowns are not always in the flat and are more towards the short middle of at the hash marks 2-5 yarders. The INT he threw to the Raiders player is a perfect example of a misread.

I just hope he doesn't clamp up after a couple of misread INT's. He's one I could easily see clamp up and then resort back to "see the man open then throw" mentality.

LOL...are you guys watching the game? "Staring down" is the one thing he is NOT doing. It's what caused his INT against the Raiders. Harbaugh even said it. Smith just "didn't look, lol" and threw the pick.
I agree with you. I'm talking about the fact that this offense has more blind throws meaning he will need to trust his reads. I'm concerned that he will clamp up if he throws a couple of picks do to bad reads or a more creative defense as in the OAK game. He has been accustomed to an offense that allows him to stare down the receiver and decide if the receiver is open or not prior to throwing the ball. He won't have that luxury in the WCO due to the trust and timing of the offense.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

0.0%

This is Ninertalk.

You mean the #1 defense, and specifically the #1 passing defense in the league last year? It would not come much as a shock to me that Alex didn't do so well against that. What do you expect when an average at best guy facing a team that did THIS last year...

vs. Tom Brady - Just 59% completion, 159 yards, 1 TD
vs. Peyton Manning - 285 yards, 2 TD, 4 INT in a 36-14 shellacking.
vs. Matt Schaub - 267 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT

Don't really know what that had to do with the fact that he has led several comeback drives either to win or tie in the 4th quarter, or OT. Just saying, he may be average at best, but the kid has no quit in him, and has led several comebacks and near-comebacks.

0.0%

This is Ninertalk.

You mean the #1 defense, and specifically the #1 passing defense in the league last year? It would not come much as a shock to me that Alex didn't do so well against that. What do you expect when an average at best guy facing a team that did THIS last year...

Don't really know what that had to do with the fact that he has led several comeback drives either to win or tie in the 4th quarter, or OT. Just saying, he may be average at best, but the kid has no quit in him, and has led several comebacks and near-comebacks.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=SmitAl03

4 4th qtr comebacks and 6 game winning drives.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
I like eggs n bacon with english muffins. Sometimes just regular toast but depending on the eggs butter or jam. Scrambled ill take jam but if eggs are over medium ill take butter on my toast or muffin. Sometimes you just need to dip in the egg yolk and i needs to have some butter with a pinch of salt. I also need butter not some margerine or some greasy type of spread but real damn butter. I really could go either way with hash browns or a extra side of bacon. Unless the hash browns have cheese n onions in them. I just love hash browns with cheese n onions. More so if my eggs are over medium with bacon and english muffin or toast with butter. I sometimes like juice and coffee with my eggs,bacon, hashbrowns and english muffin/toast. I can never have just either or its gotta be both. Sometimes ill settle for a sweet tea with not 1 or 2 but 3 slices of lemon. Its a complete breakfast that does a body good.

Agree for the most part, but have you ever considered putting a little maple syrup in while cooking the bacon? Not too much, just a tad to soak into the bacon. Give it a shot

0.0%

This is Ninertalk.

0.0%

This is Ninertalk.

he should have a couple more where the D just blew asignments the saints, and texans come to mind
Originally posted by dj43:
^^^

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We'll just have to wait and see. I have heard Harbaugh is a qb guru, but think Smith might be his biggest challenge considering the damage done by former coaching. I have always believed that Smith could be a decent qb with the proper coaching, and that he was best suited for the WCO. Walsh used to say that to see how good a qb can be you takes his ten best plays. Then you coach that player into being consistently that good. During the Walsh years if a play was sloppy in practice, Walsh would make the team line up and run it until they could execute it without having to think about it. When I saw that under Nolan they would just move on if the play was ragged, I just could not believe it. Needless to say, this terrible practice continued under Singletary. With Harbaugh and the return of the WCO, I expect the consistency to go up not just with Smith, but with the team in general. I feel better about this team now than at any point in the past decade. We might not be playoff bound this year, but I fully expect to field a more competitive team this year.

^^^

agreed!
Share 49ersWebzone