LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

How much are Harbaugh, Edwards, West Coast Offense, etc. worth to Alex Smith's game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
I like eggs n bacon with english muffins. Sometimes just regular toast but depending on the eggs butter or jam. Scrambled ill take jam but if eggs are over medium ill take butter on my toast or muffin. Sometimes you just need to dip in the egg yolk and i needs to have some butter with a pinch of salt. I also need butter not some margerine or some greasy type of spread but real damn butter. I really could go either way with hash browns or a extra side of bacon. Unless the hash browns have cheese n onions in them. I just love hash browns with cheese n onions. More so if my eggs are over medium with bacon and english muffin or toast with butter. I sometimes like juice and coffee with my eggs,bacon, hashbrowns and english muffin/toast. I can never have just either or its gotta be both. Sometimes ill settle for a sweet tea with not 1 or 2 but 3 slices of lemon. Its a complete breakfast that does a body good.

I agree, but I like home made biscuits with butter and honey if the weather outside is between sixty five and seventy seven degrees on a Tuesday in November.
  • dj43
Historically, WCO has been a very QB friendly system.

From the earliest days of Bill Walsh, it didn't seem to matter who was at QB, they had reasonable success: DeBerg, Steve Bono, Jeff Kemp, Bill Musgrave, the kid from UCD whose name escapes me, Jeff Garcia...all of them had success in WCO.

Of course the WCO is not just about the QB, it is about the timing and quality of the OL, receivers that can read and adjust, backs that block and read blitzes, etc, but it is more QB friendly than Turner's style or Martz' stuff.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We'll just have to wait and see. I have heard Harbaugh is a qb guru, but think Smith might be his biggest challenge considering the damage done by former coaching. I have always believed that Smith could be a decent qb with the proper coaching, and that he was best suited for the WCO. Walsh used to say that to see how good a qb can be you takes his ten best plays. Then you coach that player into being consistently that good. During the Walsh years if a play was sloppy in practice, Walsh would make the team line up and run it until they could execute it without having to think about it. When I saw that under Nolan they would just move on if the play was ragged, I just could not believe it. Needless to say, this terrible practice continued under Singletary. With Harbaugh and the return of the WCO, I expect the consistency to go up not just with Smith, but with the team in general. I feel better about this team now than at any point in the past decade. We might not be playoff bound this year, but I fully expect to field a more competitive team this year.

^^^
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
We'll find out starting Sunday.

we found out last year... but he's our QB and I wish him a good season (its not going to happen).
People around here blame previous coaching staff, OL, WR's, etc, etc.... at the end, its worthless.

and before they say it, I dont know anything about football, just saying
Originally posted by dj43:
Historically, WCO has been a very QB friendly system.

From the earliest days of Bill Walsh, it didn't seem to matter who was at QB, they had reasonable success: DeBerg, Steve Bono, Jeff Kemp, Bill Musgrave, the kid from UCD whose name escapes me, Jeff Garcia...all of them had success in WCO.

Of course the WCO is not just about the QB, it is about the timing and quality of the OL, receivers that can read and adjust, backs that block and read blitzes, etc, but it is more QB friendly than Turner's style or Martz' stuff.

No, its all up to Alex and Alex alone to make this WCO work. Any incomplete, int, dropped, deflected, high, low, behind pass will be all Alex. We know this to be true and that there are no other factors involved in the passing game. A horrible oline is easily overcome with quick throws to wr's who never make the correct hot reads. Come on Alex, make this work?
  • dj43
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
We'll find out starting Sunday.

we found out last year... but he's our QB and I wish him a good season (its not going to happen).
People around here blame previous coaching staff, OL, WR's, etc, etc.... at the end, its worthless.

and before they say it, I dont know anything about football, just saying

Hey, Good Morning. How's the coffee?
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Hey, Good Morning. How's the coffee?

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
he'll have an average year. He'll beat 1 - 2 good teams and lose to the rest and he'll beat some bad teams handily. He'll pile up stats in garbage time and against bad teams. I'm guessing he throws for 2,800 yards, 16 TDs, 20 INTs, 60% passing efficiency (completion rating), and that's if he makes it to the end of the year.
Originally posted by Shaj:
he'll have an average year. He'll beat 1 - 2 good teams and lose to the rest and he'll beat some bad teams handily. He'll pile up stats in garbage time and against bad teams. I'm guessing he throws for 2,800 yards, 16 TDs, 20 INTs, 60% passing efficiency (completion rating), and that's if he makes it to the end of the year.

I'm still waiting until he has a good full game and not just a quarter a game here that pads the stats and makes it appear like he was consistently that average.

The best way to describe Smith's play has been that he has been inconsistently playing well enough to show average stats. If you look at the context of all his stats, he has been a far below average QB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Shaj:

I'm still waiting until he has a good full game and not just a quarter a game here that pads the stats and makes it appear like he was consistently that average.

The best way to describe Smith's play has been that he has been inconsistently playing well enough to show average stats. If you look at the context of all his stats, he has been a far below average QB.

You mean like the ass whooping he put on the shehawks last year?

We'll just have to wait and see. I have heard Harbaugh is a qb guru, but think Smith might be his biggest challenge considering the damage done by former coaching. I have always believed that Smith could be a decent qb with the proper coaching, and that he was best suited for the WCO. Walsh used to say that to see how good a qb can be you takes his ten best plays. Then you coach that player into being consistently that good. During the Walsh years if a play was sloppy in practice, Walsh would make the team line up and run it until they could execute it without having to think about it. When I saw that under Nolan they would just move on if the play was ragged, I just could not believe it. Needless to say, this terrible practice continued under Singletary. With Harbaugh and the return of the WCO, I expect the consistency to go up not just with Smith, but with the team in general. I feel better about this team now than at any point in the past decade. We might not be playoff bound this year, but I fully expect to field a more competitive team this year.

Nice post
You mean like the ass whooping he put on the shehawks last year?

The Seahawks don't count though. Except week 1 last year. Then they counted.
Yes, but I hate to say it...but it was the Hawks. I know, I know,...it has to be vs a legit team.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yes, but I hate to say it...but it was the Hawks. I know, I know,...it has to be vs a legit team.

The shehawks did put the defending champ aints out in a convincing manner.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:

Nice post
+1
Share 49ersWebzone