LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Tolzien vs. Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Here's one comparison:

Tolzien, at least one time in the game (and this whole preseason) completed a pass while in the pocket under heavy pressure, guys in his face, and hit as he released the throw.

I don't think I had seen Kaep at anytime during the preseason (and he has played extensively) do the same, much less attempt a pass under the same conditions. He's either gotten sacked or he's scrambled out. I could be wrong, but I don't think I saw anything in the Saints, Raiders, or Chargers game. (Not sure about the Texans game).

I just think that is one more indication of how Tolzien may be just a little more ahead of Kaep in their NFL QB development, in terms of read progression, standing tall in the pocket, and getting the ball off within the designed pass play.

There is absolutely no doubt that Tolzien is a more NFL ready qb. Colin might be a better athlete, but I would have more confidence in Tolzien right now if one of them had to start, even if Gore...
Intermediate to long-range "touch" throws to the receiver's outside shoulder with DB's covering underneath and over the top. (receiver's back is to the QB)

As Tim Ryan called it "Throwing the receiver open."

Tolzien - 2 Kaep - 0
No doubt Tolzien is the more polished right now. Kaep is definitely more physically gifted, but that doesn't mean much if you can't put it all together. Tolzien is more accurage, Kaep throws harder. Tolzien has a better chance to be successful due to the college system he played in. Kaep has to overcome playing in a gimmick offense the last few years.
put kaep in the wildcat he reminds me of vick with a faster arm
i wish there was one more preason game because i wanna see how tolzien does in wco
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'm amazed at some of you ppl...how is this even a debate? If Harbaugh wanted Tolzien to be his future QB he would have drafted Tolzien and not Kaepernick. Colin is RAW he had an shortened off season on a team with a new coaching staff he's coming from a Pistol offense, did you expect him to be ready? Kaepernick has sick athletic ability and was Harbaugh's choice, he will be developed the right way and will start for this team in the future. For everyone that's so excited about Tolzien, he's a rookie that we picked up because he wasn't one of the Chargers best 3 QBs, he was undrafted, in other words he's a nice backup not Joe Montana.

I disagree, the Chargers wanted a veteran backup in Volic, he clearly was outplayed in the preseason by Tolzien.
Originally posted by zainladha:
put kaep in the wildcat he reminds me of vick with a faster arm

Glad you're not a scout for the team.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'm amazed at some of you ppl...how is this even a debate? If Harbaugh wanted Tolzien to be his future QB he would have drafted Tolzien and not Kaepernick. Colin is RAW he had an shortened off season on a team with a new coaching staff he's coming from a Pistol offense, did you expect him to be ready? Kaepernick has sick athletic ability and was Harbaugh's choice, he will be developed the right way and will start for this team in the future. For everyone that's so excited about Tolzien, he's a rookie that we picked up because he wasn't one of the Chargers best 3 QBs, he was undrafted, in other words he's a nice backup not Joe Montana.

Kaeperniexcuses
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hollywood:
No doubt Tolzien is the more polished right now. Kaep is definitely more physically gifted, but that doesn't mean much if you can't put it all together. Tolzien is more accurage, Kaep throws harder. Tolzien has a better chance to be successful due to the college system he played in. Kaep has to overcome playing in a gimmick offense the last few years.

I didn't want the team to draft Kaepernick. Didn't play against the best competition in college, played in a gimmick offense, and we knew he'd be a project. I expect him to be a bust. Hope I'm wrong, and I'll gladly eat crow as that would mean the team is winning with him leading. I'm just not hopeful. It was interesting to watch Kaepernick scramble in the preseason games. He would take off and start looking to turn the corner upfield, only to encounter the opposing linebackers. That didn't happen in college, he could outrun the competition. That was a good lesson for him to learn, NFL linebackers are fast.

I'm not sure how Tolzien will work out, probably be another Shaun Hill, effective backup. I was hoping we'd draft Ponder, but knew he wouldn't fall, so my realistic alternative was Stanzi. He's not looking that good either.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I think Harbaugh taking Kaep as early as he did and not drafting Tolzien tells you something.. Unless Tolzien plays lights out next years camp and preseason, Kaep is still the future, as of now.

This

I like both, when harbaugh was hire I expected we drafted a qb more like Tolzien than Kap, I was expecting C.Ponder. Tolzien is more of a west coast qb which I like but at the end of the day I am no expert and jim is the qb guru so I support both and I expect kap to have a great 2012 or 2013 season!!
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Kaepernick, hands down.....just look at this guy....his attitude toward the game.....the work ethic.....this guy wants to be great....and he'll get there.....TRUST IN JIM!!!

The same thing is said about Tolzien; his work ethic and he's a film junky. Look, as far as I'm concerned, Tolzien will beat out Kaep for these reasons:

Pro Offense xp.(5yrs)

WCO Offense xp (5yrs)

Makes better decisions (Actually goes through his progressions).

Just as smart as Kaep.

Film Junky.

High Work ethic.

Hey, not saying he's taking over this year, but by all accounts, he a very quick study and when he learns the play book, which shouldn't take long, he'll beat out Kaep. Mechanics wise, Kaep still has to many things he still has to work at.

[ Edited by ObePwnD on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM ]
Originally posted by 4T9errr:
Originally posted by boast:

Greatest .gif EVER!!!
This thread sucks, but this gif is awesome!!!!
Originally posted by Hollywood:

Reminds me of the Alex Smith situation be fore the 2005 draft. They kept talking about Alex's athletic ability, his ceiling. 7yrs later what did he bring to the table? Not saying Kaep will be like Smith, but the talk is similar.
I think it's more likely that Alex has a solid year and that we resign him for another 3 seasons before either of these guys are ready by next season.
Share 49ersWebzone