There are 187 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He looked good against us, but I'm not too excited by this. Depends on who we cut, I guess, but two rookies and Smith playing behind what can be generously described as a "shaky" o-line is troubling.

I AM glad that the team seems to aggressively trying to make the QB position better for the future, and I like Harbaugh's gambler-mentality, but, damn, it does make me nervous.
Good move. Now for an experienced corner (Hanson would be nice if he's still available)
Originally posted by redrathman:
This thread has gone full blown Kory Sheets.

so true. the only difference is that this guy's preseason heroics didn't happen for us. we know even less about him than we knew about Sheets.
Here is another reason the Niners might want Tolzien...

Paul Chryst, OC of Wisconsin, is the brother of former Mid-American Conference Commissioner Rick Chryst and San Francisco 49ers quarterback coach Geep Chryst.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Nice developmental prospect. Tolzien is a good fit for the West Coast Offense. But our depth at QB is Alex Smith and two rookies? Seriously?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by jreff22:
we may hold unto him until everything slows down then release him and grab him for the PS, really wouldn't surprise me at this point....and a rookie QB really isn't NFL ready...and why did SD let him go if he was so good?

Don't really need him if you have Phillip Rivers and Billy Volek as ur QB's. And it leaves a roster spot open for a position they need.

Tim Ryan commented that the NFL rule change doesn't require teams to keep 3 QBs anymore (That's what he said - don't know if that's accurate) and that the Chargers could very easily go with 2 QBs. He said that if the Chargers let go of Tolzien, his agent's phone would be ringing off the hook based on his performance in the pre-season. (and he made this comment early during Tolzien's playing time in the game).
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Actually, with CK's poor pre-season, I wonder if they would risk putting him on the PS if a true veteran QB comes available. Then the roster would be AS, Veteran, Tolzein, and CK on PS??

wow.. are you f**king kidding me? did you seriously hit enter on that post?

sounds like no football sense, I agree with you Rikimaru03
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by redrathman:
This thread has gone full blown Kory Sheets.

so true. the only difference is that this guy's preseason heroics didn't happen for us. we know even less about him than we knew about Sheets.

Sheets never made the 53 man roster here.. he has already upped him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This move does nothing to strengthen the qb position right now.

Just more bad moves by a crappy front office.
So what number will he sport? It isn't going to be 16.

He looked good against our 2s and 3s. Let's hope that he looks like that most of the time and that he wasn't just having a "lights out" night.
Man the people here saying get rid of Kaepernick or put him on the ps? Are you guys serious?

Sure he didn't look great, but people should have known when he was drafted he was a project QB. Kaepernick shouldn't even see the field until 2013 IMO. Tolzien seems like a good pick up. Would be nice to see him a CK battle it out and see who's better in a couple years. I'd rather have 2 good Qbs on this team than 0.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by jreff22:
we may hold unto him until everything slows down then release him and grab him for the PS, really wouldn't surprise me at this point....and a rookie QB really isn't NFL ready...and why did SD let him go if he was so good?

Don't really need him if you have Phillip Rivers and Billy Volek as ur QB's. And it leaves a roster spot open for a position they need.

Tim Ryan commented that the NFL rule change doesn't require teams to keep 3 QBs anymore (That's what he said - don't know if that's accurate) and that the Chargers could very easily go with 2 QBs. He said that if the Chargers let go of Tolzien, his agent's phone would be ringing off the hook based on his performance in the pre-season. (and he made this comment early during Tolzien's playing time in the game).

teams have always been allowed to only carry 2 QBs, but the rule that changed was that the 3rd QB wasn't an "emergency position" on gamedays. So if your 3rd QB played it doesn't mean that your other QB's can't play in the game any longer, and the active roster went from 45 + 1 emergency QB to 46. so without a 3rd QB you can keep an extra DB or whatever active on gamedays.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Lifer:
Nice developmental prospect. Tolzien is a good fit for the West Coast Offense. But our depth at QB is Alex Smith and two rookies? Seriously?

It seems Harubaugh is putting the season on Smiths shoulders (literally & figuratively). If Smith doesn't work out, it looks as if we are taking this as a rebuilding year. I don't see how Harbaugh would expect us to make the play-offs with such little experience at the 2 and 3.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ersnation:
Man the people here saying get rid of Kaepernick or put him on the ps? Are you guys serious?

Sure he didn't look great, but people should have known when he was drafted he was a project QB. Kaepernick shouldn't even see the field until 2013 IMO. Tolzien seems like a good pick up. Would be nice to see him a CK battle it out and see who's better in a couple years. I'd rather have 2 good Qbs on this team than 0.

Agreed. I'm no Kaepernick fan, but no way should we even think about getting rid of him right now.
Share 49ersWebzone