LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AyYoJoey:
what will be his number? I'm hoping for #4. Think about it...16, 8...and 4!

...it's science.

Yeah it's also Andy Lee's #
Originally posted by Ninerfire:
I agree...I do not have a clue how he will fare from this point on, however: from this video he seems to have a clue about priorities and he did have a very nice game last Thursday. So I think this was a nice pickup to see how things go...

Go Niners.

Very touching video - love "life" accounts like these. Like Ian Williams, it's good to see the human side of these guys and as always, how can you not pull for both "kids" in this case?
I'm gonna guess he'll wear #14
Being a Wisconsin fan, I like this move. I think Tolzien will make a very good NFL backup.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I know this will sounds like a fantasy football perspective, but I think it's very true for the NFL as well. Players are essentially a commodity and GMs are businessmen. Speculators, if you will. Like in all businesses, you want to buy low and sell high. If you can get a player that you think will turn out to have value for basically free, then you do it.

Look how well other teams have done developing QBs when they already have a solid starter. The Eagles, Pats, and Falcons have all added value to their team by getting players cheap, building their value, and then trading them for higher value. That's part of how they stay good. Look at how many first and second round picks the Pats have every year!

The 9ers had the chance to get a player that actually showed promise at against other NFL players. At a position that is very difficult to scout. It was a good move to grab him.

If both Kaep and Tolzien turn out to be good players then we keep the best and trade the other. If only one of them turns into a good player then the choice is made for us. If neither of them turns into a good player, then we should have picked up even more rookie QBs.

This.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Ninerfire:
I agree...I do not have a clue how he will fare from this point on, however: from this video he seems to have a clue about priorities and he did have a very nice game last Thursday. So I think this was a nice pickup to see how things go...

Go Niners.

Very touching video - love "life" accounts like these. Like Ian Williams, it's good to see the human side of these guys and as always, how can you not pull for both "kids" in this case?

Originally posted by rum53:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I know this will sounds like a fantasy football perspective, but I think it's very true for the NFL as well. Players are essentially a commodity and GMs are businessmen. Speculators, if you will. Like in all businesses, you want to buy low and sell high. If you can get a player that you think will turn out to have value for basically free, then you do it.

Look how well other teams have done developing QBs when they already have a solid starter. The Eagles, Pats, and Falcons have all added value to their team by getting players cheap, building their value, and then trading them for higher value. That's part of how they stay good. Look at how many first and second round picks the Pats have every year!

The 9ers had the chance to get a player that actually showed promise at against other NFL players. At a position that is very difficult to scout. It was a good move to grab him.

If both Kaep and Tolzien turn out to be good players then we keep the best and trade the other. If only one of them turns into a good player then the choice is made for us. If neither of them turns into a good player, then we should have picked up even more rookie QBs.

This.

That.
This guy is already our best QB
I want him to wear #6.
Championship 2012!

I've always been a Badgers fan for college. I have a lot of relatives in that state. I've watched a lot of his games on TV (almost all) and I've been to several games also. At Camp Randall Stadium (WI home field) and the Rose Bowl game also. Just like I told you in the draft forum he is smart, steady, relaible, a great decision maker, reads the field well and throws a real accurate ball. He's 6'3" 216 lbs. So he is big enough. While he doesn't have a rocket arm he can make all the throws. And he is great with TE's which fits well with our team. He's also a super hard worker and good citizen. Just the type of guy you want to have.

To me it is a great move with Harbaugh developing him. It's obvious CK is not ready now although his physical attributes indicate a high upside. When Tolzien learns the playbook I could see a depth chart like this eventually.

1) Alex Smith
2) Scott Tolzien - clearly more of a ready and capable QB at this piont.
3) Colin Kaepernick - nowhere near ready right now but has good physical attributes. Needs about 2 years to learn.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM ]
He's a WCO qb to boot. This is beginning to look even better.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=96817&plckItemsPerPage=50&plckSort=TimeStampAscending
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Championship 2012!

then it'll be a repeat, because apparently he's leading us to the promised land this year.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I want him to wear #6.

#6 or #18 would be awesome.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Okay great job Baalke on signing another rookie to back up an already below average QB behind a poor offensive line.

These moves just make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Why are you even a niners fan? Who is good in your opinion? So far you're all over this board saying this guy is bad and this guy can't play and making snap judgements based on pre-season. Must suck to go through life so pessimistic.

When did I say he was bad ?
Share 49ersWebzone