LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

As for publically announcing it....this is a public fan forum. By nature this is considered publication every type we post on here.

And YOU CAN "help it" if other members noticed his banning...its called a PM.

You appear to not understand how this works.

When a member is banned, they are notified via PM. Typically, the mod staff does not post, "ATTENTION: MEMBER SO-AND-SO HAS BEEN BANNED." In this case, procedure was followed - the member was banned with no announcement. If, thereafter, any other member checked that member's page and saw that member was banned, the staff cannot prevent that, nor is there any reason to.

Explain to me how a PM will "help" others noticing that someone is banned?
I know how it works. I'm talking about your actions prior to the ban.

I'm saying instead of talking s**t to the guy on this board for everyone to see, a PM would be more professional.

This is what your said to him:

"The context is pretty clear: You posting 41 times in this thread belittling and calling out other posters who disagree with you. That's the context."
"This is coming from the poster with 41 of the posts in this thread, nearly double the next closest person." "Also, try punctuation, genius."

You don't think a PM would have been a better way to handle that? Instead you called em out and sarcastically called him a genius and that he should try punctuation. As a mod, antagonizing and belittling another poster regardless of that poster's actions is not professional.

On the other hand, doing things the way he did reinforces that that kind of behavior is not tolerated.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Quote:
As it turned out, it didn't matter because Smith, just a couple of weeks later, while throwing a deep ball in practice, broke a bone in his shoulder. A wire left behind from his surgery sawed the bone in half, requiring more surgery, and ending the quarterback's fourth season.

WTF

That's freaking messed up. Nolan tries to make Smith play with three torn ligaments. Then after he has surgery, the next year a wire saws his shoulder in half. Holy crap.
  • dj43
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

As for publically announcing it....this is a public fan forum. By nature this is considered publication every type we post on here.

And YOU CAN "help it" if other members noticed his banning...its called a PM.

You appear to not understand how this works.

When a member is banned, they are notified via PM. Typically, the mod staff does not post, "ATTENTION: MEMBER SO-AND-SO HAS BEEN BANNED." In this case, procedure was followed - the member was banned with no announcement. If, thereafter, any other member checked that member's page and saw that member was banned, the staff cannot prevent that, nor is there any reason to.

Explain to me how a PM will "help" others noticing that someone is banned?

I'm saying instead of talking s**t to the guy on this board for everyone to see, a PM would be more professional.

"The context is pretty clear: You posting 41 times in this thread belittling and calling out other posters who disagree with you. That's the context."
"This is coming from the poster with 41 of the posts in this thread, nearly double the next closest person." "Also, try punctuation, genius."

You don't think a PM would have been a better way to handle that? Instead you called em out and sarcastically called him a genius and that he should try punctuation. As a mod, antagonizing and belittling another poster regardless of that poster's actions is not professional.

On the other hand, doing things the way he did reinforces that that kind of behavior is not tolerated.

Often times an obvious demonstration of what is not tolerated will prevent further problems. Sometimes it is just better to make an example of someone who is walking on both sides of the line rather than trying to coddle them back to the safe side. After all, being here is not at "right."
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
Often times an obvious demonstration of what is not tolerated will prevent further problems. Sometimes it is just better to make an example of someone who is walking on both sides of the line rather than trying to coddle them back to the safe side. After all, being here is not at "right."

Just like spandex shorts: it's a privelage, not a right.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Quote:
As it turned out, it didn't matter because Smith, just a couple of weeks later, while throwing a deep ball in practice, broke a bone in his shoulder. A wire left behind from his surgery sawed the bone in half, requiring more surgery, and ending the quarterback's fourth season.

WTF

That's freaking messed up. Nolan tries to make Smith play with three torn ligaments. Then after he has surgery, the next year a wire saws his shoulder in half. Holy crap.
Nolan lost the team with a combination of that and mocking Jonas Jenning's crawl on the field from pain. Jonas was never the same, mentally, after that and obviously did not want much to do with Nolan. Nolan, a guy who seemed like a straight shooter turned out to be very immature.
Originally posted by Shaj:

Just like spandex shorts: it's a privelage, not a right.

Been watching Hackers, Shaj?

Also, agreed with both points.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Nolan lost the team with a combination of that and mocking Jonas Jenning's crawl on the field from pain. Jonas was never the same, mentally, after that and obviously did not want much to do with Nolan. Nolan, a guy who seemed like a straight shooter turned out to be very immature.

I agree with you. It's like after the team started falling apart when Norv left, Nolan started taking a turn for the worst.
  • dj43
Quote:

WTF

Looking back at what Smith had to go through with Nolan, it is unbelievable that he is still even a football player.

I don't think it would be stretching the truth to say that I have been one of the more consistent supporters of Smith from the standpoint of looking at how handicapped he was by poor coaching. Now, every time I recall some of the things he went through, like a surgical procedure gone wrong, it only makes me hope all the more that he does well after all of this. I have just seen so many players that have struggled come back to do well once they get good coaching that it is thrilling to see a performance like he put on last night. It was not all that far from the way Montana would have performed in similar circumstances...and I don't throw that around loosely.
Quote:

WTF

Looking back at what Smith had to go through with Nolan, it is unbelievable that he is still even a football player.

I don't think it would be stretching the truth to say that I have been one of the more consistent supporters of Smith from the standpoint of looking at how handicapped he was by poor coaching. Now, every time I recall some of the things he went through, like a surgical procedure gone wrong, it only makes me hope all the more that he does well after all of this. I have just seen so many players that have struggled come back to do well once they get good coaching that it is thrilling to see a performance like he put on last night. It was not all that far from the way Montana would have performed in similar circumstances...and I don't throw that around loosely.

Alex not showing NFL ability had a lot to do with it also. McCarthy and Norv aren't exactly "poor coaching". Nolan didn't have his hands on the offense then.
Quote:

WTF

Alex not showing NFL ability had a lot to do with it also. McCarthy and Norv aren't exactly "poor coaching". Nolan didn't have his hands on the offense then.
nyja for real?

• Silky
  • Veteran
C'mon Alex become the Peacock!

• Otter
  • Veteran

It's always been an informal policy that comments directed towards banned members are not held to the same standard as comments towards current members. RichmondPete earned his banning through multiple personal attacks to many members on this board. As soon as he replied with his sarcastic genius comment, that was enough to push his warning past the banning limit. NineFourNiner's subsequent comment is irrelevant at that point, and more closely resembles a member venting about the poor attitude of a banned member.
Originally posted by Otter:

It's always been an informal policy that comments directed towards banned members are not held to the same standard as comments towards current members. RichmondPete earned his banning through multiple personal attacks to many members on this board. As soon as he replied with his sarcastic genius comment, that was enough to push his warning past the banning limit. NineFourNiner's subsequent comment is irrelevant at that point, and more closely resembles a member venting about the poor attitude of a banned member.

Banned members are free game!!!!!
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Banned members are free game!!!!!

To a certain extent, and within reason. If your comment about them violates another rule or is generally indecent, you can still be warned yourself. RichmondPete was trolling this thread and inciting the other members. He also sent a PM earlier in the day attempting to incite.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:

WTF

this. And McCarthy was extremely lucky to get to work with who *should* have been the #1 overall pick, Rodgers, over in GB instead of watching his reputation as a coach go down the drain with Alex like roto-rooter. Alex is a coach killer.
Share 49ersWebzone