LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 348 users in the forums

How come nobody believes in this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They look pretty bad to date. Here's to hoping. As fans, we've certainly waited a long time and have endured a lot of turnover. I think Harbaugh is bright and competitive, and it sounds as though he has a pretty seasoned staff also. I am optimisitc that, ultimately, this team will be better coached than what we put up with during the Nolan and Singletary regimes. To have success, IMO, the offensive line has to improve big time, Alex Smith needs to move the chains and have a 90+ QB rating, and we need good years from both Michael Crabtree and Braylon Edwards. Those are pretty big ifs. Hope springs eternal in September. Go Niners!
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I believe Harbaugh will put an effective offense on the field

I believe our defense will be decent

I believe our team is capable of winning 10 games

but I DO NOT believe in the Yorks...if the Niners are going to be contenders again, it will be when the Yorks are completely out of the picture ...

this doesn't compute for me. I'm not a fan of the Yorks whatsoever but I'm not sure how the first three points can be true if the last point is also true. I mean, what effect do the Yorks have on what happens on the field? If our offense is good and our defense is good and we're capable of winning ten games, what will the Yorks to do stop that?

Unless Jed decides midseason to insert himself as the starting nose tackle, I'm not sure he'll impact the wins/losses at this point.

The Yorks have the final say on everything..they are not capable of finding talented coaches and GM's ...Erickson, Nolan, Singletary ..Scotty M ....the more succesful owners have knowledge of the game and willing to spend money to make the team better ....Denise, Jed and Dr York have NO BUSINESS running a football team...the past 10 years should be enough evidence to show the yorks dont know what the hell they are doing

I guess its possible to hold two conflicting ideas in your mind, but I think it takes a certain kind of self-deception.

Look, I'm not excusing the Yorks whatsoever. They've absolutely made monumental mistakes with this franchise. But I think their continued negative influence on this team is the one of the most perplexingly enduring myths on this board. If the team is talented and capable and there are good coaches in place, how did this happen? The team has paid for free agents and gone out of its way to secure long-term its most important players, and they absolutely bent over backwards to get what many consider the "best coaching candidate available."
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Here are some things that give me some hope for the season....

We actually have an offensive minded coach that can coach QB's.

We have possibly the best group of offensive skill players (Gore, Edwards, Crabtree, VD) since our last superbowl victory.

We seem to have a promising defense with an improved pass rush.

We have an offensive line that is rich with talent and potential. If our new coaching staff can get these guys to play well together and be consistent, then it could turn into a real strength.

I'm a little pessimistic on this ability. So far, he hasn't put Alex in situations to succeed.

And we have had Norv, McCarthy, and Martz, who all had free reign from the Head Coach their first year's here. I wouldn't exactly call them scrubs.

Maybe so, but you can't deny that we have far more talent on offense now than when any of those guys were coaching the offense. Edwards and Crabtree will be a huge improvement over Antonio Bryant and Issac Bruce.
its not how you start, its how you finish that matters.

I believe
Originally posted by MBniner:
We've addressed the line with 3 first round picks over the last, what 4-5 years? And paying a bunch for a reported high-end center? The problem is talent evaluation. Our scouts and GM blow.

I don't totally buy that. All of the draft boards from so called experts had guys we have drafted close to where we picked them. Even if they fell and we had picked them in the second rounds, a line full of second round picks should still be very good.

The only OL I'm not quite sold on is Chilo. He's had plenty of time to get up to speed in the NFL. Anthony Davis is young and was viewed as a player that wouldn't reach his potential for a few years. Iupati was viewed as NFL ready and he has performed well (except for a few preseason brain farts). As for Staley, he was drafted late in the 1st round in a draft without many blue chip tackles. He would be better suited at right tackle, but Anthony Davis isn't ready to be a premier left tackle.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Here are some things that give me some hope for the season....

We actually have an offensive minded coach that can coach QB's.

We have possibly the best group of offensive skill players (Gore, Edwards, Crabtree, VD) since our last superbowl victory.

We seem to have a promising defense with an improved pass rush.

We have an offensive line that is rich with talent and potential. If our new coaching staff can get these guys to play well together and be consistent, then it could turn into a real strength.

I'm a little pessimistic on this ability. So far, he hasn't put Alex in situations to succeed.

And we have had Norv, McCarthy, and Martz, who all had free reign from the Head Coach their first year's here. I wouldn't exactly call them scrubs.

Maybe so, but you can't deny that we have far more talent on offense now than when any of those guys were coaching the offense. Edwards and Crabtree will be a huge improvement over Antonio Bryant and Issac Bruce.

Yes, but Alex without reps and application of the offense is "inneffective". The chemistry of the offense on this team has been horrible ever since the head coaches started to question Smith's ability and bring in other QB's for "competition".

What's worse is no REAL QB has been brought in to compete.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:11 AM ]
Alex Smith!!!! enough said
I still think we can squeek into the playoffs in our weak division. We need alot of things to go our way though and more than just a few players step up their games big time.

Jim keep the opposing D off balance by attacking with the WCO.

Alex needs to progress throughout the season (read progression, blitz reads and accuracy.

Of course our Oline must improve in pass protection and give Alex the time to at least make the reads each play calls for.

Crabs needs a big jump in his route running, stop dropping/batting balls to the defense and a better sense of the blitz/hot reads. I really think Braylon is gonna push him alot this year and make him a better player.

We need our FB to be a great pass catcher so I'm hoping Miller gets the nod. This helps out the entire O as the D will have to take the FB seriously and not just let the LB's go get the qb.

On D, I really think our new DC will help our players out quite a bit by the scheme. I expect more pressure, which will help our DB's out in coverage. I look for that group to be a top 10 D by mid season.

All adds up to a 9&7 or 10&6 and the NFC Champs!
Originally posted by fortyniner52:

To prove you don't know what you are talking about.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Mostly I believe this is a coping mechanism for those that have had unrealistic expectations in years past and have become cynics in order to protect themselves from disappointment. I generally prefer to remain cautiously optimistic, but as they say, it takes all kinds.

Thank you Mr Freud.

I should bill you for the diagnosis.

Put it on my tab.

This is the greatest team in NFL History. See, I didn't say anything negative.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This is the greatest team in NFL History. See, I didn't say anything negative.

Originally posted by 9erred:
The Yorks have the final say on everything..they are not capable of finding talented coaches and GM's ...Erickson, Nolan, Singletary ..Scotty M ....the more succesful owners have knowledge of the game and willing to spend money to make the team better ....Denise, Jed and Dr York have NO BUSINESS running a football team...the past 10 years should be enough evidence to show the yorks dont know what the hell they are doing

I agree with this 110%. The Niners could have done so much more to land a better qb than the X factor. They should have flown the private jet to pick up Hasselbeck and showed him the money. Grooming Kaepernick is the #1 priority and I already think Kaepernick could win more games than Alex in 2011 simply because he can extend the play with his athleticism where the X factor cannot.

Lol Hasselbeck chose not to come here. And he mentioned our oline as one of the reasons. He wouldn't have last 4 games the way our oline is playing. And Kaepernick isn't anywhere close to being ready.
The Yorks need to go
Originally posted by fortyniner52:

To prove you don't know what you are talking about.

Outside of the Zone, everybody sees the Niners as a decent team with a 7-year QB still waiting for the lights to turn on....

Inside the Zone, Alex Smith is seen as an above average player who will finally put it all together this year...

It will be interesting to see who is correct!

Share 49ersWebzone