LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 323 users in the forums

How come nobody believes in this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Outside of the Zone, everybody sees the Niners as a decent team with a 7-year QB still waiting for the lights to turn on....

Inside the Zone, Alex Smith is seen as an above average player who will finally put it all together this year...

It will be interesting to see who is correct!

I see him as a qb that hss shown the ability to make above average plays scattered amongst some major inconsistencies. I think he has the potential to be an above average qb, just needed coaching from someone that knows the position. Not 100% sold on him, but interested in seeing if my gut feeling is correct. Just don't get the idiotic statements trying to blame him for everything wrong with the team, or the claims that he has never done anything to show he belongs in the NFL.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Outside of the Zone, everybody sees the Niners as a decent team with a 7-year QB still waiting for the lights to turn on....

Inside the Zone, Alex Smith is seen as an above average player who will finally put it all together this year...

It will be interesting to see who is correct!

Only one of your statements is true.
Hey A, great post and I, too, believe.

Every year is a wipe the slate clean type of year. The failures of the past don't stay in my head festering like an open wound, that's nuts as it only focuses you on the negative because that's all it has been since 2002. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

That is the same this year. I don't expect many here who are grounded in their belief that until the Yorks go or sell the team, we will still be failures, starts at the top, right? I can see that, but don't agree. Guys like SD, Sus, JoeCool, MD, and many others have had enough and given our atrocious start to the pre-season, I can also see why especially with OL play. The only way they get on this train is if the train is winning, period. Well, that can't happen until the season starts so....

I keep saying this, "It depends on POV". Yours A, is a very upbeat and positive one and I, too, share the same feelings about the team. Sometimes you do have to have blind faith. Those that don't, don't believe. It's that simple. I do have blind faith as my Mom taught me all to well. Sure, the team failed, but that was the last 9 years. I know, I know...9 years!!! Well, that's why we have POVs like the ones from Sus and SanDiego and the rest of the non-believers. Can't blame them for being simply, human. If we didn't blow for nine years, then this new regime would be viewed differently. The weight of our past failures is just too much for some to bear.

Which brings me to my POV...
-We landed the hottest HC commodity in recent memory.
-Harbaugh is a true QB coach who happens to be our HC
-Harbaugh attacks and keeps attacking as history will attest
-Harbaugh is meticulous and tedious when it comes to details of the game in practice
-Harbaugh's MO is competition no matter how well you may have played before
-This is Harbaugh and Co. FIRST year and it came w/o an offseason
-This is Baalke's FIRST year as GM, not last year or under McShots
-Baalke didn't resign the "right fit" guys for the new team, Lawson, Spikes, Franklin, etc. (The only 9er FA with a good deal was Spikes)
-Baalke waited patiently and landed upgrades at CB, C, and WR while promoting from within with Bowman and maybe the rookie, A. Smith w/o breaking the bank.
-Development of this new offensive and defensive system will take time
-Listen to good 'ol Joe Cool who asked for patience concerning implementing Harbaugh's new WCO system
-Once the OL is figured out, we have the best offensive weapons since 2002.
-Once Aldon Smith figures out the passing aspect of his new position, look the frick out!
-This preseason was so vanilla, I'm getting three scoops and pouring hot chocolate sauce all over it
-Worried about OL, period. Not about Alex or his receivers, nor the backs. Once the OL gets it done, Alex will have more time.
-Gore is the frickin' man and deserved his new contract. He, Dixon and Hunter are the best we've had in a while.
-The TEs and RBs will be the main staple of this offense allowing the edges to open up for passes like the one to Braylon against the Raiders
-Jed York is doing his best to get his team what it needs.

I don't need any rebuking of my points as it's not an argument. You don't agree, tough s**t! Deal with it my NinerBros.

I love my team and this is my frickin' POV!

Niners!!!!!
Well it's pretty obvious why people don't buy into the hype anymore. That said...we were severely over hyped the last 2-4 years and I think people are just doing the reverse. That's fine.

I actually think we'll surprise people this year. I don't think we'll go 11-5 or something crazy but I think 8-8, 9-7, MAYBE 10-6 isn't as far fetched as people thing. People are really underestimating the coaching, slightly over reacting to pre-season, and forget the nature of our losses last year. We lost at least 3-4 games because of bad coaching/preparation/scheming.
we have the worst o line in the nfl period. we know it & every team in the nfl knows it....
Don't tell me, show me.
I think we are in for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong season, hope I'm wrong, cuase this is getting old and even the lions have a chance to make it to the playoffs this year, which will leave us and the bills as the long time no seen playoffs team.

Anyway as a ninner fan I hope for the best, even if that means supporting Alex Smith once again.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I agree. This is the worst Offensive Line performance I have ever seen in football as long as I've been watching. You have 3, 4, 5 guys on a jailbreak to the QB on every play. On 3 step drops our guys get hit on step 2. They don't even have time to get their foot planted in the gound for step #3. Honestly I never thought in my life Offensive Line play could possibly be this bad. It's absolutely incredible and threatens to derail the entire season. It's further amazing that people are blaming the QB's...
It starts with the O-line & it end with Alex Smith..............thats why we will be lucky 2 win 4 games this year..............another wasted season

Originally posted by backontop:
It's called having realistic expectations. If you are expecting anything better than 8-8 then you need to put the crack pipe down. Honestly we will probably be somewhere around 6-10. There is to much stacked against us to have a playoff run this year.

I don't smoke crack but I am high on life I guess since I am hoping for a 9-7 at best-haha! I don't think the niners will be a factor in the over all scheme of things but I do think they will be better than people give them credit for. I will wait till the mid-season before I decide to chuck the niners and be super critical of them.

I believe so much that I gave up my 20yd line seats that I've had for 15 years. I'm sick of paying $2500 a season to watch a garbage team play in a garbage stadium. I went to see a Raven's game with my brother-in-law. What a difference! The stadium was unbelievable with 2 huge Jumbo-Trons at each end of the stadium. They made our unJumbo-Tron look like a 17 in tv combared to a movie screen. The stadium was so big, new and eye popping. Then, we got to watch a real NFL team play.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
I believe so much that I gave up my 20yd line seats that I've had for 15 years. I'm sick of paying $2500 a season to watch a garbage team play in a garbage stadium. I went to see a Raven's game with my brother-in-law. What a difference! The stadium was unbelievable with 2 huge Jumbo-Trons at each end of the stadium. They made our unJumbo-Tron look like a 17 in tv combared to a movie screen. The stadium was so big, new and eye popping. Then, we got to watch a real NFL team play.

Well enjoy the Ravens, it's been nice. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
It starts with the O-line & it end with Alex Smith..............thats why we will be lucky 2 win 4 games this year..............another wasted season

It wont be wasted if we can get our hands on any of these WRs(should Edwards suck or leave)
Justin Blackmon
Alshon Jeffery
Jeff Fuller
Michael Floyd
Juron Criner
Brian Quick

Or any of these DTs(should Sopoaga suck)

Brandon Thompson
Alameda Ta'amu
Kheeston Randall
Josh Chapman
Kendall Reyes
Billy Winn

or CBs(we need a lock down corner)

Janoris Jenkins
Morris Claiborne
Cliff Harris
Alfonzo Dennard
Dre Kirkpatrick
Chase Minnifield
Jayron Hosley

or C's

Ben Jones
David Molk
Michael Brewster
Moe Petrus

BACK on topic -- I'm confident this team finishes at least 2nd in our division and maybe loses out on the last wide card spot because of competitive the NFC south is. If we've somehow gutted it out for multiple 8-8 and 7-9 seasons despite our philosophy of telling the other team we were going to run in and then proceed to run it then we can easily eek out an extra win our two for an 9-7 maybe even a 10-6 because as we all know any given year we can win anywhere for 4 division games or all 6.

Even if we lose to the Steelers and Ravens we still have a great chance of beating the Browns and Bengals. Then we play the nfc east and those games aren't gimmes but come on, any given game Vick, Romo or Eli could get rattled and cough up 2 or 3 picks. Then there is the Redskins, who will be starting Grossman or Beck and has an OL about as bad as ours looks right now. Not too mention we've played against Hightower for 3 years and can easily stop him. So say we win 2 out of the 4 games from the NFC east. 2 of 4 from the afc north then on top of that we beat either Detriot or Tampa, that adds up to 5 non divisional wins and playing it save we win 4 divisional games. 9 win season with an plus/minus of 1.

End of the day we live and die by our O line and despite what I posted about all those high profile CBs, WRs, and DTs, I think it's high time we drafted a drafted a center in the first or second round. Heitman was pushing 35 before he was forced out by injury, Goodwin is 32, and Snyder is already 29. I've got faith in the scout department but I do not want to put my faith in a 5th round our higher Olineman's development, I'd much rather have a guy like Pouncey who definitely has the talent to play center in the nfl.
You must remember that negativity is the catalyst for change. Just think of Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Cesar Chavez, and all the other influential individuals who were motivated by such negative life conditions. There is no room for optimism unless you see reasons to be optimistic, and so far there has been no reason to be optimistic (perseason and NFL lockout). Being critical does not make you less of a 9er fan. We just want people who need to be kicked in the pants to be kicked. If no one boos A. Smith, J. Staley, A. Davis when they should get bood, or receive criticism from fans and media, they will not feel the pressure needed to wake up, perform, or get out.
[ Edited by LionHeartofGold on Aug 31, 2011 at 12:44 PM ]
I venture to say everybody is hopeful, even if they don't share your present belief that all will be made right in 10 day. Quite simply, seeing is believing. I think that's a common and reasonable stance.
Share 49ersWebzone