There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How come nobody believes in this team?

Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by Nicks240:
The 49ers are going to win the west this year. We will have a 10 win season and Alex Smith will go the the Probowl. If you believe anything less, you are not a 49er Faithful. I go in every year thinking we can take it all. Have I been disappointed every year in the last decade or so? Yes, but I never stop believing in this team. Im a Niner for life through thick and thin.

That's what i'm saying. My mind resets itself every year.

And as for the poor relationships metaphor, when we hired Nolan, was he on the top of our list? When we hired Singletary was he really the most credible choice? I feel the 49ers organization are trying to make the 49ers fanbase happy. Jim Harbaugh was ranked as the #1 ranked coaching prospect on ESPN, and was the fan favorite here as well. The Erickson/Nolan/Sing era wasn't looking for the next great coach (although Sing was a fan favorite because of his hype and that was it, but he never stood a chance). It is clear now that they are. They said we are tired of losing and tired of hiring coordinators/position coaches as HC and bring in someone who has a REAL future in the NFL. If it doesn't work out with Harbaugh, it won't be their fault this time. They listened to the fanbase and the experts and went with the best choice.
Harbaugh is taking a long-term view with this team. The preseason is a critical time to assess who he wants on the team, and with the hold-out, he's been forced to sacrifice some 1st unit chemistry building. The OLine play has been a shockingly bad, but there's enough talent and the coaching is there to get it together. Will we be completely ready for week 1? I doubt it. But I'm pleased that Harbaugh is taking a systematic approach and not overlooking the important task of ensuring the right talent is on the team. Don't underestimate the importance of the back end of the roster. And if we come out of the gate a bit slow, Harbaugh knows as well as anyone that the season is long. We can recover from a slow start and would struggle more in the long-run from having the wrong guys on the team.

I can understand fans' concern, especially with our experience ofthe last decade, but if you really think this is hopeless, then why would you even watch? What's the point of being faithful to your wife but constantly complaining about what's wrong with her. BE A MAN! Either focus on the positives and try to work things out, become numb to it all and fall into a football coma, or get a divorce and find another team. Simply complaining without trying to see where these very intelligent and experienced football men are trying to take this team says a lot about your own emotional intelligence and approach to problem solving.
Originally posted by dmatt:
Because it looks like more of the same to me. I'm really disappointed in the release of McKillop. The guy is a tackling machine. There is no chance constanza will ever play defense for us. What a waste.

And the Taylor MAys (Baalke) mis handling. The GM idiot of the year.
Originally posted by gravelburn:

I can understand fans' concern, especially with our experience ofthe last decade, but if you really think this is hopeless, then why would you even watch? What's the point of being faithful to your wife but constantly complaining about what's wrong with her. BE A MAN! Either focus on the positives and try to work things out, become numb to it all and fall into a football coma, or get a divorce and find another team. Simply complaining without trying to see where these very intelligent and experienced football men are trying to take this team says a lot about your own emotional intelligence and approach to problem solving.

This wins!
The only thing we have to go off of right now is Jim Harbaugh's past. At the University of San Diego back in 2004, his first season as a head coach, he took his team to a 7-4 record. Year two at USD, their win total jumped up to 11-1 and repeated at 11-1 for his third year there. So there you can see progress after his first year. Then when he went to Stanford, remember that they were a very bad team when he took the job, his first season with the Cardinals they went 4-8. In 2006 Stanford had only won 1 game, so he did have a slight effect in his first year, but you'll see that with Harbaugh, he builds for the long term, to win for many years. So, with his second season at Stanford the "Arrow is up", with the team going 5-7. Fast forward... 2009 they go 8-5.... 2010 they go 11-1 and win the Orange Bowl, only losing to Oregon who played in the National Title Game! The trend here is that Harbaugh has gone to bad football organizations before, though in college, and rebuilt their programs to win in the long run. He doesn't wave a magic wand and make them winners year one, but he does intelligently build a system, a roster, and staff that can win. I'm more optomistic for the long run rather then the 2011 season. I believe we will come back, but it may take us to year 3 or 4 to see our team back to glory. We all just need to be patient and believe that Harbaugh has a plan and that he may be capable of guiding our team back to being a winning organization. I know we don't know the future, and we all know that crazy things happen all the time, but I trust that Harbaugh can do it, if not, who else? Go Niners!!!
[ Edited by daragon on Aug 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM ]
I like your post man I al a half full kind of guy and like S.Young detest the cynics!!! go niners!!
Here are some things that give me some hope for the season....

We actually have an offensive minded coach that can coach QB's.

We have possibly the best group of offensive skill players (Gore, Edwards, Crabtree, VD) since our last superbowl victory.

We seem to have a promising defense with an improved pass rush.

We have an offensive line that is rich with talent and potential. If our new coaching staff can get these guys to play well together and be consistent, then it could turn into a real strength.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:

We have possibly the best group of offensive skill players (Gore, Edwards, Crabtree, VD) since our last superbowl victory.

We have an offensive line that is rich with talent and potential. If our new coaching staff can get these guys to play well together and be consistent, then it could turn into a real strength.

This...and we don't have Jimmy Raye.
Originally posted by blm7754:

I'm a little pessimistic on this ability. So far, he hasn't put Alex in situations to succeed.

And we have had Norv, McCarthy, and Martz, who all had free reign from the Head Coach their first year's here. I wouldn't exactly call them scrubs.
Just have no faith in the qb situation. But i'm not all doom and gloom. I think they can be .500
I feel good about this season, regardless of the new offense and new defense. I am not trying to turn this into a different thread, but there is only one reason I am not confident in this season. Aside from that, I am excited for the changes and look forward to seeing us win some games!
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm a little pessimistic on this ability. So far, he hasn't put Alex in situations to succeed.

And we have had Norv, McCarthy, and Martz, who all had free reign from the Head Coach their first year's here. I wouldn't exactly call them scrubs.

meh ill give you mccarthy but he did pretty good under norv martz never relly had a chance to teach him (was on IR for the year)
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Joecool:

meh ill give you mccarthy but he did pretty good under norv martz never relly had a chance to teach him (was on IR for the year)
I'm not trying to say Alex sucks. I'm saying that McCarthy and Norv put him in a position to succeed, especially during preseason. It was when Martz came in that the rigged "QB" competitions began. Then Singletary continues the rigged QB Competitions. Now Harbaugh has done the same thing as Nolan and Sing.

There has been only one thing that has come out of these QB Competitions: less reps for Alex Smith. I am skeptical about how Harbaugh is handling him. If Harbaugh thinks of Alex as a Steve Deberg, then I agree with him. That may dissappoint a lot of fans though.
The most positive thing I can say is we absolutely lost games last season because of Singletary and crucial mistakes on the field at the worst possible time. If we had won a couple of those games the season could have finished on a positive note, 8-8. But this OL makes me wonder if 8 wins is realistic knowing A. Smith is going to be looking at 7 or 8 defenders in the box just like every other year.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home