There are 237 users in the forums

A big Implosion?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by sacniner:
So far, Harbaugh = Singletary

After one month? come on bro... how?

OL looks worse. Players appear to have very little idea of what they are supposed to do. Players are displaying terrible fundamentals. QB's look worse.

There can be more added. Keep in mind, Harbaugh is unproven.

But he hasn't dropped his pants...

OL looks worse. Players appear to have very little idea of what they are supposed to do. Players are displaying terrible fundamentals. QB's look worse.

The line looks worse, I agree with you 100% on that. Although, it's way too early to say he is equal to Sing. He hasn't had psychotic press conferences, or mooned the team. Also, we haven't seen him make the in game coaching blunders that Sing made. Lets play week one first before we say this.

And I think the QB play has been about equal to last year. Smith hasn't been worse. He got creamed for two games, and during the Raiders game he showed flashes and then made a bonehead play. Typical of Smith play.

Joe, Singletary wasn't installing a new system. You are overreacting man, just go smoke one and calm down. When the o line gets it s**t straight, we will be better than last year.
Crabtree better not tip passes to INTs this year.

He better get to practice.

I vote this the dumbest post in the history of the webzone.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Joe, Singletary wasn't installing a new system. You are overreacting man, just go smoke one and calm down. When the o line gets it s**t straight, we will be better than last year.
Like I said. If we lose Game 1 but are solid in terms of mental play and coaching, then that's fine. But if we lose Game 1 and are looking like a rookie team, then there is something Jim Harbaugh is not doing correctly and he will be to blame no different than Singletary. It could be a mistake such as trying to install too many things to the point where the players are too confused.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SportsFan:

it is typical for Niner Talk though
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
In isolation, it's nothing. But when viewed in connection with the Mays debacle (email-gate and 7th rounder), it's starting to undermine my confidence in this FO.

The Crabtree thing is nothing. It was during warm-ups and so not against the rules. It is probably because Harbaugh is a former college coach; they are far stricter in the NFL.

However, the attacks on Baalke for letting Mays go for a seventh rounder seem a bit over the top. It is apparent that Mays had no future with the team. Harbaugh was not going to include him in the final 53. Therefore, if he wasn't traded he would be released outright. If he was released outright then the team would have gotten nothing in return. That is why they sent an email to all 31 teams about trading Mays. I don't know what happened with the Bears (though it might have been a question of trust - the Bears have been unworthy of it), but if Cincinnati offered a seventh rounder AND NOBODY ELSE OFFERED ANYTHING, then Baalke actually did good by getting something for Mays.

These two incidents DO NOT bode poorly for the front office.

Disagree. This is bush league stuff. I'm not saying the sky is falling, but these events reflects poorly on the team.

The Niners as an organization have forgotten how to win.

Although I didn't go ballistic over the hiring of Baalke, I was disappointed that the Organization couldn't have brought in a guy with no connections to the preceding six-year fiasco. Someone with gravitas, intelligence and standing in the NFL comminity. You've got to be able to speak on equal terms with other GMs, not have to go through that "earn my respect" cycle that new members of the fraternity have to go through. Moreover we know that Baalke is no rocket scientist and is a bit mentally weak (got steam rolled by both Singletary and Harbaugh). However, it all falls back to lack of intelligence and insight of ownership. Specifically Jed York - he's just so weak. That said given all his limitations, Baalke hasn't done so bad. He did bring in the most coveted HC candidate out there.

But it's Harbaugh who to date is raising some real question marks. It's not that his team seems to have regressed. OK . . . it's preseason . . . blah, blah. It's that he seems to be out of it. Not in touch with the whole team psychology. Right now, the team doesn't know "winning": You don't bring back a guy who has been synonymous with the whole "loser" label as the trigger guy and expect the team to transform it's personality. You try to surround your players with leaders who have won; people who have and actually have the winning swagger. Most importantly at the trigger position. And then bluild on that. The roster does have some talent. The team had the chance to do it and chose not to. You can say all the bad stuff you want about Crabtree, but that was the impetus behind his remarks, when he questioned Smiths return. Right now the team has that WTF look about them and they're looking for winning leadership.

Harbaugh needs to pull something out of his a$$, and fast. Or he's going to lose this team. In that respect Harbaugh = Singletary.

JH is smarter (hopefully). Let's hope that he gets it done.

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Although I didn't go ballistic over the hiring of Baalke, I was disappointed that the Organization couldn't have brought in a guy with no connections to the preceding six-year fiasco. Someone with gravitas, intelligence and standing in the NFL comminity. You've got to be able to speak on equal terms with other GMs, not have to go through that "earn my respect" cycle that new members of the fraternity have to go through. Moreover we know that Baalke is no rocket scientist and is a bit mentally weak (got steam rolled by both Singletary and Harbaugh). However, it all falls back to lack of intelligence and insight of ownership. Specifically Jed York - he's just so weak. That said given all his limitations, Baalke hasn't done so bad. He did bring in the most coveted HC candidate out there.

But it's Harbaugh who to date is raising some real question marks. It's not that his team seems to have regressed. OK . . . it's preseason . . . blah, blah. It's that he seems to be out of it. Not in touch with the whole team psychology. Right now, the team doesn't know "winning": You don't bring back a guy who has been synonymous with the whole "loser" label as the trigger guy and expect the team to transform it's personality. You try to surround your players with leaders who have won; people who have and actually have the winning swagger. Most importantly at the trigger position. And then bluild on that. The roster does have some talent. The team had the chance to do it and chose not to. You can say all the bad stuff you want about Crabtree, but that was the impetus behind his remarks, when he questioned Smiths return. Right now the team has that WTF look about them and they're looking for winning leadership.

Harbaugh needs to pull something out of his a$$, and fast. Or he's going to lose this team. In that respect Harbaugh = Singletary.

Nolan got flamed, big time, for having QB competitions and not letting the starter get more reps and ge chemistry with his offense. Why isn't JH getting flamed? He is not doing Alex Smith, the assumed starter, any favors by not giving him as many reps as possible. Why isn't Harbaugh getting flamed for this? He's made same QB decisions so far that Nolan was known to be an idiot for.

All I know is that Harbaugh hasn't proven anything yet and should be on the hot seat until he takes himself off it. We have put him on a pedastle and he doesn't deserve any flaming yet even though his QB decisions have been no different than Singletary or Nolan's. We have a veteran QB in McCown now who can step in if Alex gets injured. No need to get a rookie 2nd rounder from a pistol offense uber reps. We already learned that mishap from Nolan trying to push Alex forward. Why not let Alex get as many reps as other teams' starting QB?

Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
This and the mass e-mail for Mays...just amateur stupidity...seems like it never gets better with the management of this team!

Great Comment.
Nolan got flamed, big time, for having QB competitions and not letting the starter get more reps and ge chemistry with his offense. Why isn't JH getting flamed? He is not doing Alex Smith, the assumed starter, any favors by not giving him as many reps as possible. Why isn't Harbaugh getting flamed for this? He's made same QB decisions so far that Nolan was known to be an idiot for.

All I know is that Harbaugh hasn't proven anything yet and should be on the hot seat until he takes himself off it. We have put him on a pedastle and he doesn't deserve any flaming yet even though his QB decisions have been no different than Singletary or Nolan's. We have a veteran QB in McCown now who can step in if Alex gets injured. No need to get a rookie 2nd rounder from a pistol offense uber reps. We already learned that mishap from Nolan trying to push Alex forward. Why not let Alex get as many reps as other teams' starting QB?

I don't believe that that is quite accurate, Joe. Nolan is a different case from JH. Nolan was not a hands-on offensive coach. He let his OC's run that side. And Alex was handed the job without competition until Matz came on board and decided otherwise, three years later. Even then the FO didn't bring in/draft anyone to really challenge Alex, as the team has done this year.

As for JH and his approach: Maybe he realises that Alex is not the answer; that this year is going to be rebuilding; and that he needs to get the replacements up to speed ASAP? Or, at least, show what they've got?
Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by SportsFan:

it is typical for Niner Talk though

JH has done the same idiotic "QB Competition" as has Nolan and Singletary. Alex is obviously the starter yet he's not getting the reps other starting QB's around the league are getting. Alex, as well as the OL and WR's, need as many reps in this new offense as possible.

I guess it's OK when it is a WCO coach making the same mistakes as Dinglebary and Nowin, right? We have an experienced veteran. No need to get Kap ready in case Alex gets hurt.

I don't recall Nolan getting flamed that quickly. People were Rollin with Nolan round here. With the lock out etc, Harbaugh has had, so far, zero opportunity to make changes and do what he is paid to do.

But, unlike Nolan, it doesn't look as though a chunk of the zone want to give him any chance at all.

Reminds me of the posters who post how our latest draft pick is a bust before he even gets signed with the team.

I don't believe that that is quite accurate, Joe. Nolan is a different case from JH. Nolan was not a hands-on offensive coach. He let his OC's run that side. And Alex was handed the job without competition until Matz came on board and decided otherwise, three years later. Even then the FO didn't bring in/draft anyone to really challenge Alex, as the team has done this year.

As for JH and his approach: Maybe he realises that Alex is not the answer; that this year is going to be rebuilding; and that he needs to get the replacements up to speed ASAP? Or, at least, show what they've got?

Hill challenged Alex. Then, there was a QB "Competition" between Carr and Alex. Those other coaches were seen as idiots to have a competition at all no matter who was the starter. This entire board questioned why the real starter isn't getting full starter reps in practice and preseason due to chemistry and new system.

Alas, Harbaugh is doing the exact same thing and it is fine.
Share 49ersWebzone