LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

What was the worst moment in franchise history?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
2010 vs Eagles on national TV...our fans chanting for David Carr.

Forget about Alex being boo'd....I got so much s**t that MONTH because of the "We Want Carr" chants.

I dont understand why people keep bringing up David Carr. We werent chanting for Carr because we thought he was good. We were chanting for our backup QB, because our starting QB was playing awful. It could have been Nate Davis.....Shaun Hill....Troy Smith.....Cody Pickett.....whoever. Our backup could have been dopey the clown, and we would have chanted for him.

People need to get off their high horse and stop insulting people who were chanting for Carr. At least we were supporting our team by going to the games.

Yeah, and I still don't understand the logic.

"I'm starving and all I have is this bland sandwich. Instead, I will eat my own s**t." That's basically the logic behind chanting for Carr.

And if that's the support that you're going to provide, don't go to the games. SF fans already had a reputation of being bad fans, and that really just solidified it.

The bold is the dumbest analogy I have ever heard in my life.

Calling Alex a bland sandwich and David Carr s**t is ridiculous. Disagree? Well that same s**t had a higher career QB rating than Alex did at the time....and guess what? Even after Alex's "great" 2011 season, he has less than a 2% better QBR. And just to keep going with the facts, ALL (yes every single one) of the excuses made for Alex are valid for Carr as well.

You can resort to insults all you want. Call me a bad fan, whatever. Bad fans arent lifelong season ticket holders. Get off your high horse please.

I don't know, s**t was bad any way you want to spin it.

Carr? Really?

If all the "excuses" for Smith applied, then why scream for Carr? You knew what you were going to get - someone worse than Alex Smith who was even more damaged. That's why the analogy works. If you want a more specific analogy, Alex was a bland/moldy sandwich, and Carr was a bland/moldier sandwich bought from the store three years earlier. Either way, the chant made no sense. Every franchise around the league has lifetime season ticket holders, yet the 49ers fanbase is the only one known to have booed its own team the loudest, along with having the most fairweather fans. I'm not accusing you of the latter, and I'm not trying to insult you personally. But that game was by far the lowest point of the franchise for me. Never heard a football team being booed by its home fans like that, while castigating a single player when it was clear the problem was systemic. And that year really goes to show that quarterbacks don't play in a vacuum. If Alex Smith was bad on that team, then a 23.6 quarterback rating is...well...yeah, s**t. That's what the fans got with David Carr.

Bolded - I am not saying that the excuses applied for Alex so it made sense to scream for Carr. What I am saying is that Alex was playing like s**t, and deserved to be taken out of the game. Every excuse made for Alex pre-boogate, could also have been made for Carr as to why he didnt succeed in Houston. Sometimes players need a fresh start (Steve Young, Rich Gannon, etc). Fans were sick and tired of Alex not performing. We wanted a change. Even if it was Carr. You never know what you have until you try it....which was why it was so infuriating to watch Alex fail time after time for 6 years. Like I said, if you think Alex should have been given every chance to succeed because of coaching, OLine, weapons, etc. then why couldnt Carr have been given the opportunity? Alex was just as broken as Carr was at that point. (For the smart a***s who will respond to this, I am not advocating that David Carr is unquestionably better or worse than Alex at the time, it was just time for a change).

Italic - You are really going to say that fans in Philly or other big time football cities have never booed their own player? Im sorry, but this is ridiculous. Booing is part of sports. Only difference is that here in SF, some fans have seemed a little more tolerant of bad play. If a #1 pick played poorly for the Jets for 6 years, please believe there would be death threats to the QB rather than just booing. I find it absolutely ridiculous that you think that only in SF would a hometown player get booed. I honestly cant believe you would think that.

second bolded - You are entitled to your opinion. Thats fine. I personally dont see how this single event was a worst moment than Roger Craigs fumble, Joe being traded, Garrison Hearst going down against the Falcons, Steve Young's career ending injury, the Yorks taking over the team, the Kyle Williams fumble, etc. I feel like I could go on and on. But like I said, if you think booing Alex Smith and chanting for his backup during a 6 win season is worse than any of these events, thats fine. I just cannot agree.

second italic - Again, I am not some huge David Carr fan or anything. But the fact of the matter is, in just as bad a situation if not worse, Carr was able to accumulate better career stats than Alex had. So how can you call Carr s**t yet feel like Alex wasnt? And for the record, that 23 QBR was for ONE GAME. I guarantee you I can find games where Alex had that bad of a QBR, and probably worse.

Forget about Alex being boo'd....I got so much s**t that MONTH because of the "We Want Carr" chants.

I dont understand why people keep bringing up David Carr. We werent chanting for Carr because we thought he was good. We were chanting for our backup QB, because our starting QB was playing awful. It could have been Nate Davis.....Shaun Hill....Troy Smith.....Cody Pickett.....whoever. Our backup could have been dopey the clown, and we would have chanted for him.

People need to get off their high horse and stop insulting people who were chanting for Carr. At least we were supporting our team by going to the games.

"I'm starving and all I have is this bland sandwich. Instead, I will eat my own s**t." That's basically the logic behind chanting for Carr.

And if that's the support that you're going to provide, don't go to the games. SF fans already had a reputation of being bad fans, and that really just solidified it.

Calling Alex a bland sandwich and David Carr s**t is ridiculous. Disagree? Well that same s**t had a higher career QB rating than Alex did at the time....and guess what? Even after Alex's "great" 2011 season, he has less than a 2% better QBR. And just to keep going with the facts, ALL (yes every single one) of the excuses made for Alex are valid for Carr as well.

You can resort to insults all you want. Call me a bad fan, whatever. Bad fans arent lifelong season ticket holders. Get off your high horse please.

Carr? Really?

If all the "excuses" for Smith applied, then why scream for Carr? You knew what you were going to get - someone worse than Alex Smith who was even more damaged. That's why the analogy works. If you want a more specific analogy, Alex was a bland/moldy sandwich, and Carr was a bland/moldier sandwich bought from the store three years earlier. Either way, the chant made no sense. Every franchise around the league has lifetime season ticket holders, yet the 49ers fanbase is the only one known to have booed its own team the loudest, along with having the most fairweather fans. I'm not accusing you of the latter, and I'm not trying to insult you personally. But that game was by far the lowest point of the franchise for me. Never heard a football team being booed by its home fans like that, while castigating a single player when it was clear the problem was systemic. And that year really goes to show that quarterbacks don't play in a vacuum. If Alex Smith was bad on that team, then a 23.6 quarterback rating is...well...yeah, s**t. That's what the fans got with David Carr.

Bolded - I am not saying that the excuses applied for Alex so it made sense to scream for Carr. What I am saying is that Alex was playing like s**t, and deserved to be taken out of the game. Every excuse made for Alex pre-boogate, could also have been made for Carr as to why he didnt succeed in Houston. Sometimes players need a fresh start (Steve Young, Rich Gannon, etc). Fans were sick and tired of Alex not performing. We wanted a change. Even if it was Carr. You never know what you have until you try it....which was why it was so infuriating to watch Alex fail time after time for 6 years. Like I said, if you think Alex should have been given every chance to succeed because of coaching, OLine, weapons, etc. then why couldnt Carr have been given the opportunity? Alex was just as broken as Carr was at that point. (For the smart a***s who will respond to this, I am not advocating that David Carr is unquestionably better or worse than Alex at the time, it was just time for a change).

Italic - You are really going to say that fans in Philly or other big time football cities have never booed their own player? Im sorry, but this is ridiculous. Booing is part of sports. Only difference is that here in SF, some fans have seemed a little more tolerant of bad play. If a #1 pick played poorly for the Jets for 6 years, please believe there would be death threats to the QB rather than just booing. I find it absolutely ridiculous that you think that only in SF would a hometown player get booed. I honestly cant believe you would think that.

second bolded - You are entitled to your opinion. Thats fine. I personally dont see how this single event was a worst moment than Roger Craigs fumble, Joe being traded, Garrison Hearst going down against the Falcons, Steve Young's career ending injury, the Yorks taking over the team, the Kyle Williams fumble, etc. I feel like I could go on and on. But like I said, if you think booing Alex Smith and chanting for his backup during a 6 win season is worse than any of these events, thats fine. I just cannot agree.

second italic - Again, I am not some huge David Carr fan or anything. But the fact of the matter is, in just as bad a situation if not worse, Carr was able to accumulate better career stats than Alex had. So how can you call Carr s**t yet feel like Alex wasnt? And for the record, that 23 QBR was for ONE GAME. I guarantee you I can find games where Alex had that bad of a QBR, and probably worse.

the fact u guys are even bringing up QBR makes your arguement stupid

I don't care what anyone says! Nice post!
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Carr? Really?

The only time I have ever been ashamed to be a 49ers fan!!! Sitting in my season tickets in disgust of all those retards chanting "We Want Carr!"
I take that back, that's insulting retarded people. I'm not trying to insult anyone but that was just disgusting!!!

Thank You.

It was an embarassment. It essentially told the football world that 49er fans were raving idiots.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Some of you guys really believe the "We Want Carr" chant is the worst moment in franchise history??

Seriously??

When did you guys become 49er fans in 07 or 08?

Do you remember or even heard about the Joe Thomas days?

How about Roger Craigs fumble in the 1991 playoffs against the Giants?

Steve Young's career ending injury on Monday night?

The Yorks taking over the team?

Or to a lesser extent:

Bryant Young's leg injury?

Steve Mariucci's timid approach in the playoffs against Tampa Bay?

I could go on and on.

If the "We Want Carr" chant was for S.Hill or T.Smith this would be non issue for you! Too funny!
"We want Carr" is just the fans being fed up with poor football. It shouldn't even be is the discussion.

When Joe got hurt in the Giants playoff game. I was a kid and can still remember it. it was just a nasty hit and they replayed it so many times because he stayed on the ground injured. They talked like he would never play again. We had already won back to back Superbowls and we were going for a 3-peat. When young got injured it sucked as well but you could see the team on the decline. The Niners were good but the Aikman's Cowboys were kind of the top dog then. When Montana got hurt, we were on top of the world and nobody was close to us. The Niners without Montana...
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Carr? Really?

The only time I have ever been ashamed to be a 49ers fan!!! Sitting in my season tickets in disgust of all those retards chanting "We Want Carr!"
I take that back, that's insulting retarded people. I'm not trying to insult anyone but that was just disgusting!!!

Thank You.

It was an embarassment. It essentially told the football world that 49er fans were raving idiots.

then 2 weeks later they same people chanting we want carr were saying he cost us the carolina game and that we woulda won it had alex not got injured #Hypocrites
This thread.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
"We want Carr" is just the fans being fed up with poor football. It shouldn't even be is the discussion.

When Joe got hurt in the Giants playoff game. I was a kid and can still remember it. it was just a nasty hit and they replayed it so many times because he stayed on the ground injured. They talked like he would never play again. We had already won back to back Superbowls and we were going for a 3-peat. When young got injured it sucked as well but you could see the team on the decline. The Niners were good but the Aikman's Cowboys were kind of the top dog then. When Montana got hurt, we were on top of the world and nobody was close to us. The Niners without Montana...

Ya, when Joe got hit, worst moment ever. It was also a dirty hit..he wanted to hurt him, well he did. That guy should have never played ball again because of that. I bet you he wasn't even fined. It was a dirty hit..Joe could've been a lot worse. Evil, dirty hit. That guy wanted revenge on what he thought MIGHT have been a deliberate hit to the knee that injured one of his players. He said it might have been deliberate and they were all butt hurt that guy got injured. So, they wanted revenge. But the hit on Montana, to hurt him with such anger and hate..hitting him like a freakin monster? That guy wanted to put Montana in a wheelchair at that moment, he almost did. Evil.
[ Edited by Montana on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Some of you guys really believe the "We Want Carr" chant is the worst moment in franchise history??

Seriously??

When did you guys become 49er fans in 07 or 08?

Do you remember or even heard about the Joe Thomas days?

How about Roger Craigs fumble in the 1991 playoffs against the Giants?

Steve Young's career ending injury on Monday night?

The Yorks taking over the team?

Or to a lesser extent:

Bryant Young's leg injury?

Steve Mariucci's timid approach in the playoffs against Tampa Bay?

I could go on and on.

If the "We Want Carr" chant was for S.Hill or T.Smith this would be non issue for you! Too funny!

Word....
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Carr? Really?

Thank You.

This . At that point we figured out that our coach and many fans were morons.

That s**t was wack and people who were not niner fans were laughing at us.

Originally posted by crabman82:
then 2 weeks later they same people chanting we want carr were saying he cost us the carolina game and that we woulda won it had alex not got injured #Hypocrites

This is pure baseless speculation. Alex was playing like s**t that game, so to say we would have won with Alex is nothing more than an assumption.

Originally posted by jacklegniner:

Thank you.

Right. I get that. My main point was that I got s**t for the "We Want Carr" chants. Obviously, as Niner fans, we "get it." But others didn't. I'm sure you get that. It's not about being on a "high horse."

Right. I get that. My main point was that I got s**t for the "We Want Carr" chants. Obviously, as Niner fans, we "get it." But others didn't. I'm sure you get that. It's not about being on a "high horse."

Sorry bro. Didnt mean to come at you. But there have been plenty of posters, even in this thread, that were saying we were an "embarrassment to Niner fans" and that we were idiots for chanting that. My bad Lambda.
This . At that point we figured out that our coach and many fans were morons.

That s**t was wack and people who were not niner fans were laughing at us.
What non Niner fans where looking that close to that game and laughing at us because of a chant?

It was a regular season game with a QB playing like SH*T and the fans wanted a change! It so happen that Carr was next in line.

People act like the man was playing at a Pro Bowl level and was just having a bad game!

Like I said earlier if the player wasn't #11 this would be a non issue!

Again how is this considered the worst moment in franchise history?
Share 49ersWebzone