There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Harbaughs Approach to this 3rd preseason game.

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Who's D is "better"

Texans or Raiders?

Kaep didn't look amazing against the Raiders, so how much of a test will the Texans Be? I think their secondary was torn apart last year, and all they added was jonathan joseph right?

He didn't look amazing against the saints either. I like Kap But he isn't going to play lights out, I would be glad to be wrong though. Plus the Texans D is supposed to be much better this year.
Sounds like the real plan is this... if Alex starts and leads us down the field with a 6 for 8 drive for a score, his day will probably be done. If the first drive stalls out, he will get a 2nd drive... if that stalls out, he will sit and then come back in after Kap gets some PT.

Something like that, maybe.

Whatever... my main attention will go... as it will ALL year... on the OL. That is the unit that will make or break this team in 2011.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Sounds like the real plan is this... if Alex starts and leads us down the field with a 6 for 8 drive for a score, his day will probably be done. If the first drive stalls out, he will get a 2nd drive... if that stalls out, he will sit and then come back in after Kap gets some PT.

Something like that, maybe.

Whatever... my main attention will go... as it will ALL year... on the OL. That is the unit that will make or break this team in 2011.

I agree old,

Although I think Alex will get 2 series regardless and if he can put a scoring (TD) drive together with either/both of the drive(s), he will sit the remainder of the game. If he struggles to get anything going, he'll come back in after halftime to work against the Texans' #2s.

Hopefully, he can be efficient and score so Kaep can get some playing time in.
It makes perfect sense to me:

- For Alex, of course, he needs work and would benefit from getting a full half against the Texans' first unit... but I think it's more about him digesting the mental aspect of things. He'll probably lose a quarter or so with Harbaugh's approach. As a veteran, I highly doubt a quarter in a preseason game is going to make or break Alex Smith's success/failure this season.

- For Colin Kaepernick and other "bubble" players, it'll help Harbaugh evaluate where they're at. For Kaepernick in particular, there's a realistic chance he's going to see action this season... Alex Smith could very likely fail, or he could get injured. If that should happen, Kaepernick will have a little REAL action. It helps him so that he's not thrown to the wolves the first time he goes out there during the regular season.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I don't like when QBs get yanked in and out of the line-up... it breaks their "feel" for the game at hand... but I guess I understand it. It will give Kap some important reps, and also really shows that Harbaugh is already sold on Alex to go into the regular season.

Pretty much. If he wanted to push Kaepernick in the starting role, he would start the kid in the third game.

The job is Smith's unless he gets injured or lays huge eggs in the remaining preseason games, and on practice field as well.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Sounds like the real plan is this... if Alex starts and leads us down the field with a 6 for 8 drive for a score, his day will probably be done. If the first drive stalls out, he will get a 2nd drive... if that stalls out, he will sit and then come back in after Kap gets some PT.

Something like that, maybe.

Whatever... my main attention will go... as it will ALL year... on the OL. That is the unit that will make or break this team in 2011.

I agree old,

Although I think Alex will get 2 series regardless and if he can put a scoring (TD) drive together with either/both of the drive(s), he will sit the remainder of the game. If he struggles to get anything going, he'll come back in after halftime to work against the Texans' #2s.

Hopefully, he can be efficient and score so Kaep can get some playing time in.

Makes sense too.. but I thought I read somewhere that Texans plan to run starters longer than just the first half?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He threw two against the saints 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Ah ok, well he will add to that total then, I think Kaep will be great, but he definitely needs to sit and wait. I'm glad we got Kaep, I wanted Dalton but so far (this preseason) it doesn't look like Dalton is doing much better.

I think too many folks are not seeing that Colin is still a work in progress. He will be good, but it is gonna take a good amount of time and patience. I just hope people don't do him like they do Smith and crap all over him if he takes longer than they think he should to get it together. At least he has a legit coach teaching him.

I totally agree that he is a work in progress and this is about getting him some good reps against a top notch defense. It's all about allowing him get experience and grow. It has nothing to do with Colin even starting and certainly not anytime soon. I like how Harbaugh's using this game to evaluate different backups against the first team opponents , smart damn move , only wish our previous coaches put as much effort into the evaluation process and teaching. I bet it also means he is somewhat satisfied with how our first team starters are looking in both execution and being in game shape from his 3 hour practices. I like this move.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
It makes perfect sense to me:

- For Alex, of course, he needs work and would benefit from getting a full half against the Texans' first unit... but I think it's more about him digesting the mental aspect of things. He'll probably lose a quarter or so with Harbaugh's approach. As a veteran, I highly doubt a quarter in a preseason game is going to make or break Alex Smith's success/failure this season.

- For Colin Kaepernick and other "bubble" players, it'll help Harbaugh evaluate where they're at. For Kaepernick in particular, there's a realistic chance he's going to see action this season... Alex Smith could very likely fail, or he could get injured. If that should happen, Kaepernick will have a little REAL action. It helps him so that he's not thrown to the wolves the first time he goes out there during the regular season.

This. Thanks for posting. This move makes perfect sense to me.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He threw two against the saints 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Ah ok, well he will add to that total then, I think Kaep will be great, but he definitely needs to sit and wait. I'm glad we got Kaep, I wanted Dalton but so far (this preseason) it doesn't look like Dalton is doing much better.

I think too many folks are not seeing that Colin is still a work in progress. He will be good, but it is gonna take a good amount of time and patience. I just hope people don't do him like they do Smith and crap all over him if he takes longer than they think he should to get it together. At least he has a legit coach teaching him.


I totally agree that he is a work in progress and this is about getting him some good reps against a top notch defense. It's all about allowing him get experience and grow. It has nothing to do with Colin even starting and certainly not anytime soon. I like how Harbaugh's using this game to evaluate different backups against the first team opponents , smart damn move , only wish our previous coaches put as much effort into the evaluation process and teaching. I bet it also means he is somewhat satisfied with how our first team starters are looking in both execution and being in game shape from his 3 hour pI ractices. I like this move.

Agreed 100% it gets all our players as much accustmed as the next and get to cut threw the fat and help with the evaluations
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Possibilities:
-Kaepernick the punching bag: Losing smith to injury this early would mean putting kaep in too early and would kill most of our year, texans defense is tied for the most sacks in preseason right now and the majority of that is going to come early and often like the saints game. Kaepernick is decent at using his legs to avoid sacks but if he does get hurt he was planning on riding the bench most of the year anyway.

-From a "competition" standpoint: Alex is expected to start week 1, but we haven't seen Colin with any real threatening receivers like VD and edwards. If alex looks horrible against 2nd/3rd stringers(on a defense that isn't known for a great pass defense) and colin looks good vs top talent, then something is clearly wrong and the coaches should have to think about reconsidering.

- How's alex without gore? and can he lead a comeback? It's a pretty good guess that colin won't be able to keep up with Schaub on the scoreboard. The "comeback" is a good test of how Alex performs under pressure, even if he's facing 2nd/3rd stringers. As for the gore part, hunter could explode again but if not...it puts alex in another one of those "pressure" situations like he faced when gore got hurt last year where dixon runs into a wall for the first 2 downs and alex only has one shot to either get us a 1st down or we punt it.
I trust Harbaugh and personally like the idea of putting players in for situations.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
It makes perfect sense to me:

- For Alex, of course, he needs work and would benefit from getting a full half against the Texans' first unit... but I think it's more about him digesting the mental aspect of things. He'll probably lose a quarter or so with Harbaugh's approach. As a veteran, I highly doubt a quarter in a preseason game is going to make or break Alex Smith's success/failure this season.

- For Colin Kaepernick and other "bubble" players, it'll help Harbaugh evaluate where they're at. For Kaepernick in particular, there's a realistic chance he's going to see action this season... Alex Smith could very likely fail, or he could get injured. If that should happen, Kaepernick will have a little REAL action. It helps him so that he's not thrown to the wolves the first time he goes out there during the regular season.

Agree with this


Originally posted by Chief:
I trust Harbaugh and personally like the idea of putting players in for situations.

yeah
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 834
Originally posted by 49erjonny:
I just read the article on the front page, will edit a link in as well, But it says that Colin Kaepernick is going to get the majority of PT with the 1st team, as well as players on the bubble satruday Vs Houston.. honestly. BOOOOOOOO.

With the lockout having as much affect of teams as it has, getting prepared, being in synchronization, this would be the most important game of all, and wow, were going to see a rookie who (im sorry to break hopes) has no chance of starting week 1 (OR succeeding even if he were to come in late in the season due to smiths poor play, an injury ETC,) play the majority of a game where teams amongst the league play the most realistic game plan??? bad move JIMMY. smith and this offensive core need to get the work, not the rookie unless of course he seriously believes he would need to be ready to play this season. in which case if he did, this season is already tanked. So really, where is Jims thinking with this as far as getting this offense better and there still being a 4th preseason game for kaepernick to play the entirety on??? why would smith not play at LEAST one whole half.. why not even a quarter?? Were putting our eggs in his basket, why not just put them all there, and get this guy as ready as possible for Week 1 Vs Seattle???? Anyone have any opinion on this?? Good? Bad?? please leave feedback but this just kind of disturbs me.. Smith and the Offense need to do something against a potential playoff team in houston. Performing against the raiders does not say much we can all agree. Bad move jimmy.. bad move. I know we havent played yet, but even this Mentality is bad. Someone calm my nerves..

I appreciate your opinion. Perhaps you should call Jim Harbaugh and share with him your expertise on these matters. He doesn't get to spend as much time on the Internet as you do so you could really help him out.
Originally posted by verb1der:
If Kap plays lights out vs Texans starters, we will have yet again another QB controversy! And it's going to create division in the locker room and all hell will break lose!



In all seriousness, I'm actually digging this idea. It does allow the coaches to see some of our key backups against another team's starters. In the event of an injury, that's what the reality will be...the backup vs a starter.
It's outside the box type thinking, something that I think that we've been missing on this team for a while. We were at one point the most innovative team in the league. Maybe this is a step in that direction. In any case, I'm personally interested in seeing the results. I'll judge the methods later.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
It makes perfect sense to me:

- For Alex, of course, he needs work and would benefit from getting a full half against the Texans' first unit... but I think it's more about him digesting the mental aspect of things. He'll probably lose a quarter or so with Harbaugh's approach. As a veteran, I highly doubt a quarter in a preseason game is going to make or break Alex Smith's success/failure this season.

- For Colin Kaepernick and other "bubble" players, it'll help Harbaugh evaluate where they're at. For Kaepernick in particular, there's a realistic chance he's going to see action this season... Alex Smith could very likely fail, or he could get injured. If that should happen, Kaepernick will have a little REAL action. It helps him so that he's not thrown to the wolves the first time he goes out there during the regular season.


This