There are 158 users in the forums

Demarcus Dobbs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Tough call. He and Williams would both be tough cuts. Usually if a guy is just doing "OK" against 2nd and 3rd stringers, you'd not worry about him clearing waivers.. however, Dobbs has lit up the back-ups, meaning he's a step above their level and for a rookie has strong developmental potential.

What makes it tougher to figure out who will go -- if any -- is the fact that Ricky Jean is a primary back-up at both NT and DE, so "adding more depth" is a non-issue. The depth would essentially be the same if Dobbs is cut instead of Ian Williams or vice versa.

People need to understand there are 31 other teams in this league and probably a plethora of other players like Dobbs who have been impressive against 2nd-teamers. Most of us have only been paying attention to the 49ers games, so it's hard to say whether or not Dobbs or Williams would make it to the PS if we had to cut one.
Agreed. I think a lot of people overhype Niners' backups. I sincerely doubt that someone is going to put him on their 53 man if the Niners put him on the PS. It just doesn't happen that often. All of that being said, Dobbs has looked pretty good in the last two games.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I don't think you can go into the season with just 5 D linemen. 6 would be okay. But I think 7 is totally possible.

Right now our starters are:

Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald

And the main candidates to make it as back ups are:

Jean-Francois, Ian Williams, Tukuafu, and Dobbs

My personal feeling is that all 4 make it. RJF and Tukuafu seem like locks. Williams is the only guy we have with a true NT build. And Dobbs has looked pretty good.

7 DL seems about right to me.

You make a fair point. But 53 isn't alot of people. We are probably going to have to make tough decisions to carry possibly 10 OLs, 8 LBs. 8Dbs, 6 WRs,
3 TEs, 3QBs, 3HBs, 2 FBs, 1P, 1K. 7DL gets us from 44 to 52. Surely there is room as you say. But we could decide to carry the bulk elsewhere and suspension and injury might force us to go 7 deep at WR. I think the bubble guys like Dobbs must look beyond their positions and think about how deep we need to go elsewhere on the team. You are probably right that 5 is too low though. 6 might happen. So Dobbs makes the team if you ask me.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Dobbs was my favored undrafted signee -- he has the best chance of actually making an impact as Justin Smith's backup. No offense to the stanford fans but Dobbs has Bulcke beat for the backup LDE job, Tukuafu has pretty firm grip on the backup RDE job, the only way our back up DL group gets shaken up is if Ian Williams or Siliga beat out RJF for the backup NT slot and that has almost no chance in happening.
I'd keep him over Tukuafu right now.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'd keep him over Tukuafu right now.

Originally posted by VA49er:
You make a fair point. But 53 isn't alot of people. We are probably going to have to make tough decisions to carry possibly 10 OLs, 8 LBs. 8Dbs, 6 WRs,
3 TEs, 3QBs, 3HBs, 2 FBs, 1P, 1K. 7DL gets us from 44 to 52. Surely there is room as you say. But we could decide to carry the bulk elsewhere and suspension and injury might force us to go 7 deep at WR. I think the bubble guys like Dobbs must look beyond their positions and think about how deep we need to go elsewhere on the team. You are probably right that 5 is too low though. 6 might happen. So Dobbs makes the team if you ask me.

I think we will carry 9 OL being that the reserves will be versatile (Wragge can play G and C, Snyder can play every position on the line, Boone will be our swing T, replacing Sims and then of course Kilgore.

So essentially, we will have 3 reserve G's, 2 reserve C's, 2 reserve T's and soon to be starting G in Kilgore
[ Edited by Sims84 on Aug 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM ]
I believe we had six DL on the roster last year: Smith, Franklin, Soap, Ray Mac, RJF, and Evans. With Smith, Soap, and Ray Mac taking the starting spots, and RJF being a probable backup, that leaves 2 roster spots for Dobbs, Williams, and Tukuafu to compete for. I'll be pulling for my boy Dobbs to earn one of those spots. Go Dawgs!
I really hope both guys make the team. I like RJF and all but he's kinda small to play NT imo.
itll come down to practice consistency and whether Tukuafu or Dobbs is more assignment sound or more coachable. A couple of ex-coach turn broadcasters have already stated that around 80-90% of the rosters were really decided before training camps have started. Our situation could be allot different with a new staff, IMO who ever gets the reps gets the spot most of the time. of these two does anyone know who comes in off the sidelines more often during practice?
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
HE'S A BEAST!!!!

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Agreed. I think a lot of people overhype Niners' backups. I sincerely doubt that someone is going to put him on their 53 man if the Niners put him on the PS. It just doesn't happen that often. All of that being said, Dobbs has looked pretty good in the last two games.

It happened last year with Larry Grant...that's often enough for me. Dobbs has been doing well and standing out. Sure other teams have similar players, but if a squad is missing some DT depth, Dobbs would be a strong candidate even on the PS.

We just never know...you know, like...well, you know.
He may have played well enough to warrant some playing time with the first team and have a chance to demonstrate that he can play against proven veteran talent. It is encouraging to see that the team has brought in some UDFA's with rotation potential.
It would not surprise me if he does not get much playing time from here out. If they think he is good and want to stash him on the practice squad he wont see much of the feild. I believe they are already doing this with ronald johnson who didnt play much at all sat. He was allover the feild in new orleans.
They should start him next week just to see how does against starters even though it might be only 1 drive
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mike:
two words: practice squad

he looks good against 2nd/3rd stringers. Typical preseason hype.

normally this is pretty safe. the one player we let go that we never should have was Joselio Hanson. every once in a while we underestimate one of these guys.
Share 49ersWebzone