There are 206 users in the forums

Demarcus Dobbs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This kid looks pretty impressive so far
you guys think he makes the roster?

4 tackles last week
3 tackles 1 assist 1 sack today
Back up DE?
I think he makes the 53-man roster. He has played so well it would be very risky to try and hide him on the PS squad. Some other team would probably pick him up. He is already 1 of our 6 best best d-lineman IMO.

Ian Williams is another guy we might have trouble keeping on the practice squad. He had many suitors during the FA signing period, so if the team likes him they should consider keeping 7 d-lineman. It's not easy to find young, promising nose tackles.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Of course he makes the roster, theres no way he clear waivers
Love the guy. He's got to make the team. He's so big and tall and such a hard worker. He gives his all. I don't see how you could cut him getting down to 53. He somehow has to make the roster at least as a backup and developmental guy.
  • mike
  • Veteran
two words: practice squad

he looks good against 2nd/3rd stringers. Typical preseason hype.
I'd prefer Dobbs over Williams. Williams wasn't really impressive in the Saints game and I wasn't really sure he made it onto the field against the Raiders. I'd take my chance in stashing him on the PS .. if someone wants to waste a 53 man roster spot on a guy who clearly isn't ready to do anything on the field then more power to that team.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
This kid looks pretty impressive so far
you guys think he makes the roster?

4 tackles last week
3 tackles 1 assist 1 sack today

Hmmmmmmm... next sat again when let's watch him play again.. wait and see..
i think he winds up on the practice squad
Tough call. He and Williams would both be tough cuts. Usually if a guy is just doing "OK" against 2nd and 3rd stringers, you'd not worry about him clearing waivers.. however, Dobbs has lit up the back-ups, meaning he's a step above their level and for a rookie has strong developmental potential.

What makes it tougher to figure out who will go -- if any -- is the fact that Ricky Jean is a primary back-up at both NT and DE, so "adding more depth" is a non-issue. The depth would essentially be the same if Dobbs is cut instead of Ian Williams or vice versa.

People need to understand there are 31 other teams in this league and probably a plethora of other players like Dobbs who have been impressive against 2nd-teamers. Most of us have only been paying attention to the 49ers games, so it's hard to say whether or not Dobbs or Williams would make it to the PS if we had to cut one.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 21, 2011 at 8:55 AM ]

Originally posted by HessianDud:
i think he winds up on the practice squad

Me too.
Since I can't tell you who our backups are on the D-line I would say yes. 3 down are obviously, Smith, Sapoaga, and McDonald. Then you have to Figure Jean-Francois is going to be on the roster. If we keep a 5th then Dobbs has to compete with Tukuafu. If 6 he is definately on the squad.
The "experts" at the combine said:
"Dobbs lacks explosion and doesn't possess prototypical size so he'll likely top-out as a reserve. Only profiles as a strongside 4-3 defensive end. Doesn't have the size to take car of the two-gap run responsibilities as a 3-4 defensive end and doesn't have the penetrating quickness of a 3-technique or the athletic ability to stand up as a 3-4 outside linebacker. However, Dobbs is a very hard-working player with good on-field awareness. Doesn't appear to have much room for additional bulk and could use some to hold up better at the point of attack. Dobbs' limitations make him a borderline seventh rounder." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarcus-dobbs?id=2495277
He seems to be proving that wrong in preseason. We apparently have a much different listing for his heigth and weight. We list him a full 4 inches taller and oddly lighter than the scouts at NFL.com. I think they need to play against the first string to get a good look. I think Tukuafu is number 5 on the Dline just based on size and build to play the position. http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html
Originally posted by VA49er:
Since I can't tell you who our backups are on the D-line I would say yes. 3 down are obviously, Smith, Sapoaga, and McDonald. Then you have to Figure Jean-Francois is going to be on the roster. If we keep a 5th then Dobbs has to compete with Tukuafu. If 6 he is definately on the squad.
The "experts" at the combine said:
"Dobbs lacks explosion and doesn't possess prototypical size so he'll likely top-out as a reserve. Only profiles as a strongside 4-3 defensive end. Doesn't have the size to take car of the two-gap run responsibilities as a 3-4 defensive end and doesn't have the penetrating quickness of a 3-technique or the athletic ability to stand up as a 3-4 outside linebacker. However, Dobbs is a very hard-working player with good on-field awareness. Doesn't appear to have much room for additional bulk and could use some to hold up better at the point of attack. Dobbs' limitations make him a borderline seventh rounder." http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarcus-dobbs?id=2495277
He seems to be proving that wrong in preseason. We apparently have a much different listing for his heigth and weight. We list him a full 4 inches taller and oddly lighter than the scouts at NFL.com. I think they need to play against the first string to get a good look. I think Tukuafu is number 5 on the Dline just based on size and build to play the position. http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html

I don't think you can go into the season with just 5 D linemen. 6 would be okay. But I think 7 is totally possible.

Right now our starters are:

Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald

And the main candidates to make it as back ups are:

Jean-Francois, Ian Williams, Tukuafu, and Dobbs

My personal feeling is that all 4 make it. RJF and Tukuafu seem like locks. Williams is the only guy we have with a true NT build. And Dobbs has looked pretty good.

7 DL seems about right to me.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Ray Mac - Sopoaga - Justin Smith
Tukuafu - RJF - Demarcus Dobbs
- Ian Williams -
He's caught my eye, too...I think he'll be hard to cut. Only thing he might have to overcome is if they sign a good DL after the big 3 Sep cuts around the league. Worst case scenario, he'll be on the PS. He's one among a number of UDFA's that are showing very well, Omon and Reuland are a couple of others.
Share 49ersWebzone