There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who are we kidding . . .

Originally posted by Hollywood:
So much fail. You are one of those guys that recognizes a marquis name and automatically assumes that because it's a marquis name, he must be greatness. VY - No surprise you threw this bum in the ring of names. A guy that excelled against simplistic average college defenses, and gets destroyed by the complicated NFL defenses. How many of these guys are going to wash out before you realize that just because a guy is a college superstar that he's not an automatic lock for superstardom in the NFL. Look up Andre Ware, David Klinger, Akili Smith, Jeff George, David Carr, Matt Leinart, Gino Toretta, Rex Grossman, Jamarcus Russell and let me know how far their big time College stats and success got them in the NFL. Tennessee gave up on this guy when they needed a QB after putting up with immature antics for several years. But you seem to think he's the answer? And If you even think about throwing out the "he just wins" line of garbage I'll be more than happy to give you a list of games where VY threw for less than 150 yards, sometimes less than 100 yards, no td's passing or rushing, commited multiple turnovers, sometimes 2 or more turnovers, yet the Titans still won despite his piss poor play. Pre and post Chris Johnson era. McNabb - Ah yes, a marquis name. He must be the answer. Did you watch any of the games he played in Washington? McNabb is done. He's gotten lazy, he's lost a step, and his accuracy has dropped off tremendously. No thanks. Kolb - More draft picks? A team that has numerous holes? You have any idea what the Niners would have had to throw in to top what AZ offered? Cromartie is a very solid CB at a position that is not exactly deep. There are what 3, maybe 4 corners that teams would want over Cromartie? To mortgage the future for an unproven QB would have been dumb. And I'm not even sure Philly would have taken it unless it was just absurdly over the top in regards to picks due to the fact that they are looking to make a push to win it all right now. It was rumored quite often during the lockout that Philly was looking to move Kolb for help in the secondary. Thats why the AZ rumors were flying around, they had what Philly wanted. AZ had a very hot commodity and a huge edge in trading for Kolb. It was common knowledge to most of the league that Philly's biggest weakness last season was the secondary. So they locked up 2 damn good ones to help the aging Asante Samuels. Cromartie and a 2nd rounder was a steep price to pay for Kolb. To suggest that the Niners attempt to pay more for a guy that is not a sure thing is absurd. Tavaris Jackson - The one guy that may suck more than Alex Smith. This guy stinks worse than dog poo. So much Minnesota figured they'd try a washed up Mcnabb over him. He's a bum. I'll bet you money he's not the starter past the midway point of the season. Josh Johnson - dumb suggestion. Tampa has said they have zero interest in trading him on more than one occasion.

VY - change of environment might help him.

Mcnabb - oh you mean the guy thats been to 6 PB only to get traded to Wash and get crapped on.

Kolb - oh you mean like we did with our current leader....

T-Jac - Dude I was kidding....He is awful...Come on.

JJ - read my original statement. I said that alrdy.
We should of traded for Brady, Manning or Brees. Oh wait they werent on the market because they are amazing QB's, so that means... hold on... its coming to me... oh yeah, all the QBs on the market were crap. But there was the 3-3 Kolb who we would've had to pay 50-60m to and a 1st round pick to land, he could be the next Schaub or he could be the next AJ Feely no one actually knows yet. Philly spent how much in FA and yet they chose to go with VY over Kolb in a year they are going all in to win the Super Bowl with a starting QB who's style of play does not lend itself to durability.

There were no all-stars out there to try and grab this offseason, just a bunch of rejects and a QB who is unproven that would cost a fortune... and if he doesnt pan out would cause another 4-5 years of losing opposed to the stop gap we have who at worst will last one more losing season. If Kolb works out then good for them, but 9 out of 10 times the rational person would support any franchise not sinking that type of commitment into a largely unproven commodity unless forced to through the draft. Whis is on the hot seat and AZ is desperate for a QB and doesnt want Fitz to jump ship with his contract ordeal. The situation is completely different, we were in a "win now" situation last year and people got fired. TB and JH have 3 years of bad records before the heat starts coming down, and they clean house again, he makes it to the playoffs or winning record once within that time and he is saved. Thats not what fans want to hear but thats the reality of the situation.

So many things can happen in a year... for example Freeman getting injured and the mancrush Josh Johnson wins a few games while he is out, JJ will be on the market as a FA next year. Or CK could show development or we just might actually win. No one knows, assuming all these QB play the same as last year why go pick up other teams sub-par QB's for 2-3 years when we have a perfectly good sub-par QB of our own for 1 year. The lockout forced this team's hand with the QB situation, lets not kid ourselves and pretend its as voluntary as they are acting, that is just politics.
Originally posted by Deodato:
VY - change of environment might help him.

Mcnabb - oh you mean the guy thats been to 6 PB only to get traded to Wash and get crapped on.

Kolb - oh you mean like we did with our current leader....

T-Jac - Dude I was kidding....He is awful...Come on.

JJ - read my original statement. I said that alrdy.

The optimism your showing for those QBs is the same your bashing "Alice" fans for... none of those QB's did anything last year to justify a starting job this year... in fact they all lost their starting jobs last year.
Where's my star trek, IBTL, gif?
[ Edited by SJniner7 on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM ]
"Philly spent how much in FA and yet they chose to go with VY over Kolb in a year they are going all in to win the Super Bowl with a starting QB who's style of play does not l[b]end itself to durability."

Or we trade Kolb while the value is high and get cash a quality player and a draft pick... let me see...
Originally posted by Deodato:
"Philly spent how much in FA and yet they chose to go with VY over Kolb in a year they are going all in to win the Super Bowl with a starting QB who's style of play does not l[b]end itself to durability."

Or we trade Kolb while the value is high and get cash a quality player and a draft pick... let me see...

and put their hopes in a mentally unstable QB who cant handle pressure when their 1st QB inevitably goes down with injury. Im not arguing that Philly trade-r*ped Arizona, thats a given, Philly made an awesome move. Im arguing that Kolb obviously wasnt viewed by Philly as any type of franchise QB like AZ made him. If he was they would of not let him go while he was under contract, and spent like they did to make a run for the SB this year. They did not assign the same value to him as an emotional FO desperate for a QB... there is a reason for that. How did Vick end the season once defenses figured him out? How high is the probability Vicks style of play will cause him to miss playing time?

They play in a division where 3 of 4 teams are legit playoff contenders, they took advantage of the inflated value of QBs this offseason. If Kolb was that good he would still be an eagle as insurance for the team to still be able to make it to the SB under the #2 QB when they just broke the bank in free agency. That is a franchise that would easily give up DRC and the pick they got for a superbowl in a heartbeat, but they didnt see Kolb that way so why should any other team.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM ]
Tetas are great
Well it's no secret that the 49ers have been a dumpster fire for a while now and I do understand where he's coming from. Just another frustrated fan just wanting better from the draft/FA/etc...
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
and put their hopes in a mentally unstable QB who cant handle pressure when their 1st QB inevitably goes down with injury. Im not arguing that Philly trade-r*ped Arizona, thats a given, Philly made an awesome move. Im arguing that Kolb obviously wasnt viewed by Philly as any type of franchise QB like AZ made him. If he was they would of not let him go while he was under contract, and spent like they did to make a run for the SB this year. They did not assign the same value to him as an emotional FO desperate for a QB... there is a reason for that. How did Vick end the season once defenses figured him out? How high is the probability Vicks style of play will cause him to miss playing time?

They play in a division where 3 of 4 teams are legit playoff contenders, they took advantage of the inflated value of QBs this offseason. If Kolb was that good he would still be an eagle as insurance for the team to still be able to make it to the SB under the #2 QB when they just broke the bank in free agency. That is a franchise that would easily give up DRC and the pick they got for a superbowl in a heartbeat, but they didnt see Kolb that way so why should any other team.

Kolb simply asked to be traded. I doubt "how they viewed him as a franchise qb" had anything to do with it. If a guy doesn't want to be there, and he has plenty of value before he hits FA next season, let him go(and "trade rape" the other team) before he goes on his own. Kolb doesn't want to ride the bench until vick gets hurt, he views himself as a starter and plenty of teams agree with him.

As for vince young, he's still a hell of a lot more talented than a good majority of teams have as their designated "#2".
Originally posted by 190836:
Great post, thank you. Don't let these kids get to you. They just don't like anyone criticizing the management. I'll post some of my own stuff now, that'll raise their blood pressure.

fixed
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
modded for violation of the no thong rule

HILARIOUS!!!
[ Edited by fropwns on Aug 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM ]
Ya know the fastest way to get me to stop reading a post? Change a players name in a lame attempt to be funny (Alice Smith, Michael Craptree, etc).
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

Lol
Originally posted by mike:
Kolb simply asked to be traded. I doubt "how they viewed him as a franchise qb" had anything to do with it. If a guy doesn't want to be there, and he has plenty of value before he hits FA next season, let him go(and "trade rape" the other team) before he goes on his own. Kolb doesn't want to ride the bench until vick gets hurt, he views himself as a starter and plenty of teams agree with him.

As for vince young, he's still a hell of a lot more talented than a good majority of teams have as their designated "#2".

Yeah, that last sentence is really where the difference of opinion lies. I can see where people are coming from with VY and dont want to come off as discounting anyones opinion while stating mine. He does have a great record as a starter... but my view is he was more the beneficiary of a great defense and running game than quality NFL level QB. Which then leads to the opinion about Kolb and not wanting him as an insurance policy, where as the trade would not have been granted if the opinion was still high on him. They initially viewed him as a franchise QB when they parted with McNabb, but he got replaced after a relatively minor injury, which usually doesnt happen as starters rarely lose their starting spots to injury once they are healthy again. He lost his job to Vick in week 3. Compared to the Brady/Bledsoe situation or the Warner/Green situation where the starter was out for half the season and the entire season respectively while the back up experienced success. The fact Reid was so quick to pull Kolb after anointing him the starter leads me to think he lost confidence in his starting abilities pretty quickly compared to Vick. Anyways now Im just beating dead horses and will move on.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hollywood:
So much fail. You are one of those guys that recognizes a marquis name and automatically assumes that because it's a marquis name, he must be greatness.

VY - No surprise you threw this bum in the ring of names. A guy that excelled against simplistic average college defenses, and gets destroyed by the complicated NFL defenses. How many of these guys are going to wash out before you realize that just because a guy is a college superstar that he's not an automatic lock for superstardom in the NFL. Look up Andre Ware, David Klinger, Akili Smith, Jeff George, David Carr, Matt Leinart, Gino Toretta, Rex Grossman, Jamarcus Russell and let me know how far their big time College stats and success got them in the NFL. Tennessee gave up on this guy when they needed a QB after putting up with immature antics for several years. But you seem to think he's the answer? And If you even think about throwing out the "he just wins" line of garbage I'll be more than happy to give you a list of games where VY threw for less than 150 yards, sometimes less than 100 yards, no td's passing or rushing, commited multiple turnovers, sometimes 2 or more turnovers, yet the Titans still won despite his piss poor play. Pre and post Chris Johnson era.

McNabb - Ah yes, a marquis name. He must be the answer. Did you watch any of the games he played in Washington? McNabb is done. He's gotten lazy, he's lost a step, and his accuracy has dropped off tremendously. No thanks.

Kolb - More draft picks? A team that has numerous holes? You have any idea what the Niners would have had to throw in to top what AZ offered? Cromartie is a very solid CB at a position that is not exactly deep. There are what 3, maybe 4 corners that teams would want over Cromartie? To mortgage the future for an unproven QB would have been dumb. And I'm not even sure Philly would have taken it unless it was just absurdly over the top in regards to picks due to the fact that they are looking to make a push to win it all right now. It was rumored quite often during the lockout that Philly was looking to move Kolb for help in the secondary. Thats why the AZ rumors were flying around, they had what Philly wanted. AZ had a very hot commodity and a huge edge in trading for Kolb. It was common knowledge to most of the league that Philly's biggest weakness last season was the secondary. So they locked up 2 damn good ones to help the aging Asante Samuels. Cromartie and a 2nd rounder was a steep price to pay for Kolb. To suggest that the Niners attempt to pay more for a guy that is not a sure thing is absurd.

Tavaris Jackson - The one guy that may suck more than Alex Smith. This guy stinks worse than dog poo. So much Minnesota figured they'd try a washed up Mcnabb over him. He's a bum. I'll bet you money he's not the starter past the midway point of the season.

Josh Johnson - dumb suggestion. Tampa has said they have zero interest in trading him on more than one occasion.

Go get some rest. While those guys aren't world beaters and they only one who really did anything was McNabb we are talking about an upgrade to Alex Smith, that doesn't take a whole lot.