LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Idk, I think id take sanchize over any of our qbs right now

Only if the jets D comes with him. Pretty sure alex smith would make the playoffs on that team.

He's another one that does have the "potential" to be decent though, he is young still and seems to improve each year.

Sanchez showed a lot of moxy last year, he led the jets to some big wins, and even a victory against new England in the playoffs, that final drive of that big comeback win (I think against the jags, not sure) showed right there that he has that "it" that Alex will never have. I don't think Alex makes the playoffs with any team at this point.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Yes, we do.

Alex Smith - Average at best so far in his career.

Colin Kaepernick - 2-3 year project.

Josh McCown - Below average veteran - Daunte Culpepper would've definitely been an upgrade.

Miah Masoli - 3-4 year project.

McCleod Bethel-Thompson - Camp fodder.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Dolphins

Agreed, Our issue is oline
We have Kaepernick
/thread
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yes, we do. Alex Smith - Average at best so far in his career. Colin Kaepernick - 2-3 year project. Josh McCown - Below average veteran - Daunte Culpepper would've definitely been an upgrade. Miah Masoli - 3-4 year project. McCleod Bethel-Thompson - Camp fodder.

You don't trade up in the second round for a QB if he's going to be a 2-3 year project, especially if you don't have a franchise guy already. And Thompson was brought in to be the project, Masoli is more of camp fodder. He was going to be a RB even. Josh is way better to be the third than Culpepper. Culpepper is not a team guy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yes, we do. Alex Smith - Average at best so far in his career. Colin Kaepernick - 2-3 year project. Josh McCown - Below average veteran - Daunte Culpepper would've definitely been an upgrade. Miah Masoli - 3-4 year project. McCleod Bethel-Thompson - Camp fodder.

You don't trade up in the second round for a QB if he's going to be a 2-3 year project, especially if you don't have a franchise guy already. And Thompson was brought in to be the project, Masoli is more of camp fodder. He was going to be a RB even. Josh is way better to be the third than Culpepper. Culpepper is not a team guy.

Your right you don't, but there's no way as of right now that Kaepernick is even close to starting an NFL game. Thompson a project, I think the tables have turned cause Masoli is #3 and Thompson is #4, and Masoli WILL NOT be playing RB and will stay at QB. And what evidence do you have for Culpepper not being a team guy??
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by A9R4Life:
Agreed... One thing I noticed is that our new Veteran Center was not playing in that
game, and once he gets himself settled on the play book, a lot of these problems will
go away... I'm not a fan of signing Josh McCown either... I think most of our problems
will work themselves out during preseason..

McCown is the whipping boy to protect Alex and Kaep while they sort out who/what is the best combo in the OL.

The OP is correct, I believe, in that Harbaugh had no idea how bad the OL is. However, I'm not going to jump off the bridge just yet. I expect Harbaugh and staff will find out who are the best candidates and do some serious coaching up of those guys.

One thing to remember; if the HC is a QB guru (which he is) and prides himself in how well he develops QBs (which he does) he is NOT going to stand idly by while the QBs that he has invested so much in get killed by an incompetent OL. So while the current group may or may not have all the right guys to make an excellent OL, the group that is here will get a big dose of technique and sorting out everyday.

Adam Snyder was quoted this week as saying they were spending a lot of time on technique. 'bout time.

The dude is a former NFL qb. Harbaugh should know how valuable an offensive line is to a qb's career and health.
Steve Spurier is a former NFL QB and he doesn't know that....

I'm not saying that Harbaugh is going to be a disaster as an NFL coach the way that Spurrier was. But I think people assume that because he played in the NFL and succeeded as a college coach that that means he will succeed as an NFL coach.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer. I actually really like Harbaugh and am super excited about him being our HC. I just think people need to remember that a LOT of coaches played in the NFL and/or were amazing as college coaches, but that did not make them good NFL coaches.
Amazing how people can quickly people can forger/never realize in the first place that 2 years ago Smith had a higher QB rating than guys like Matt Ryan, Matt Cassel, Jay Cutler etc. or that last year he had the highest QB rating in the division...and yet people think our QB situation is THAT bad? Sure are back-ups aren't the best, but you gotta weight who your starter is very heavily...therefore there are AT LEAST 10 teams with worse QB situations than us:

Rams (at least for now)
Seahawks
Cardinals
Vikings
Lions
Panthers
Redskins
Raiders
Broncos
Browns
Bengals
Jaguars
Titans
Dolphins
Bills

That's 15 teams right there. That's HALF the league people.
[ Edited by andes14 on Aug 19, 2011 at 12:40 AM ]
Originally posted by andes14:
Amazing how people can quickly people can forger/never realize in the first place that 2 years ago Smith had a higher QB rating than guys like Matt Ryan, Matt Cassel, Jay Cutler etc. or that last year he had the highest QB rating in the division...and yet people think our QB situation is THAT bad? Sure are back-ups aren't the best, but you gotta weight who your starter is very heavily...therefore there are AT LEAST 10 teams with worse QB situations than us:

Rams (at least for now)
Seahawks
Cardinals
Vikings
Lions
Panthers
Redskins
Raiders
Broncos
Browns
Bengals
Jaguars
Titans
Dolphins
Bills

Alex Smith isn't fit to suck Jay Cutler's, Matt Ryan's, and Matt Cassel's nuts. Smith will never come close to the statistical years these guys have had.Ryan hit 3,000 yards his first year and Smith hasn't even come close to that in one year. Cassell and Ryan have 66 tds in their careers which have only been three years as a starter. Alex has 51 in 5.

I only see 5 teams here that we are better off then.

Rams - Bradford NFL rookie of the year
Seahawks - Tavaris Jackson = Alex Smith plus they have Whitehurst
Cardinals - Kolb
Vikings - Mcnabb
Lions - Bradford
Panthers - we are better off
Redskins - Its a wash because Grossman = Smith
Raiders - Another wash here Cambell = Alex Smith
Broncos - Are you kidding? They have Orton, Quinn and Tebow....
Browns - we are better off
Bengals - we are better off
Jaguars - Gerrard >> Smith plus they drafted Gabbert
Titans - Hassebeck (We tried to get him to start)
Dolphins - we are better off
Bills - we are better off
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Alex Smith isn't fit to suck Jay Cutler's, Matt Ryan's, and Matt Cassel's nuts. Smith will never come close to the statistical years these guys have had.Ryan hit 3,000 yards his first year and Smith hasn't even come close to that in one year. Cassell and Ryan have 66 tds in their careers which have only been three years as a starter. Alex has 51 in 5.

Cardinals - Kolb
Vikings - Mcnabb
Lions - Bradford

Whitehurst is not as good as McKown and Jackson is not as good as Smith. If you want to use QB ratings the 9ers average is higher than Seattles. You are assuming many QBs who have done nothing in their careers will be at least better than Smith and McKown. You are also throwing rookies in and I would take our rookie over or even with any other.

You are also not considering coaching. Which QBs currently have the best coaching? I would put Harbaugh at the top of that list for QBs.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Cardinals - Kolb
Vikings - Mcnabb
Lions - Bradford

Whitehurst is not as good as McKown and Jackson is not as good as Smith. If you want to use QB ratings the 9ers average is higher than Seattles. You are assuming many QBs who have done nothing in their careers will be at least better than Smith and McKown. You are also throwing rookies in and I would take our rookie over or even with any other.

You are also not considering coaching. Which QBs currently have the best coaching? I would put Harbaugh at the top of that list for QBs.

You are SO wasting your time with this one. You are right... but do not expect to make a dent.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
You are SO wasting your time with this one. You are right... but do not expect to make a dent.

Yes, but every now and then the urge hits and I can't help putting in two cents.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Yes, but every now and then the urge hits and I can't help putting in two cents.

Haha, hey go wild. Never here to tell anyone what to do. Just advice... you will have a better day to avoid certain topics with certain people.

( now if my hypocritical arse can listen to my own advice... )
Originally posted by andes14:

Rams (at least for now)
Seahawks
Cardinals
Vikings
Lions
Panthers
Redskins
Raiders
Broncos
Browns
Bengals
Jaguars
Titans
Dolphins
Bills

It may depend on the standards applied. All teams not named Saints, Patriots, Colts, Giants, Steelers, and Packers have one thing in common: quarterbacks with no championships. Out of that group, only the Steelers and Patriots have quarterbacks with more than one. Since Bill Walsh, for the 49ers, the standard for success was championships. Even as Steve Young was setting records, he was considered unsuccessful by the 49er group until he won his championship. With current NFL quarterbacks, rookies and sophomores could get a pass, but some of those other players have been around for many years, in much better overall systems and haven't managed a championship. In the 80's there were players like Dave Krieg, Neil Lomax, Randall Cunningham, Dan Marino, and others that made the Pro Bowls but their teams have no Lombardi trophies or parades to show for it. Some of them had a few records which are also now being broken. With the amount of parody in the NFL these days, it seems that any quarterback in the right situation can leapfrog the others with a great year and solidify their legacy.
When Palmer rather retire then play for your team...umm yeah...that would be considered a pretty bad situation...
Share 49ersWebzone