LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Pats going to 4-3, 49ers take note

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriots-defensiveline

XM/Sirius buzz about 4-3 defense this morning points to the neutralization of the West Coast/Packer's offense, particularly the quick slants or passes which are very effective in defeating outside or around the corner rushes and blitzes because these defensive schemes takes longer to get to the QB. Outside rushes typically equates to 4 - 7 seconds to get to QB, while the West Coast QB should have the ball out around 3 seconds to beat it. You ask how 4-3 defense would be able to stop the West Coast offense, well they (radio/tv folks) said that an effective front 4, or 4 people that can collapse the pocket will render the Packers useless with their quick passes... (fill in the blanks)!
  • Silky
  • Veteran
I think we should run a 1-10 defense
F*ck the Pats.
good for them
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Whatever the Pats do, works.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
I think we should run a 1-10 defense

I prefer the 2-9 myself.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
F*ck the Pats.

couldnt agree more! Its tough being the only 49er fan in New England.
The Giants in the 80's went to a 3-4 defense under Parcells and Belichick to combat the WCO.... It's all in how effective a team is with there personnel in getting to the QB and disrupting his rhythm...
Since the 80's when he was working under Bill Parcells as the defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, Bill Belichick's defenses have been better than the rest against Bill Walsh's offense. The 49ers defeated the Giants more often than not, but much of the time, they gave the great 49er teams a close game. Although, there were times when the 49ers defeated them handily. The 49ers kept them on their back foot, but somehow the games weren't the comfortable victories enjoyed against other teams. That was against Joe Montana's 49ers, so it would hardly be a surprise if he is effective in neutralizing any of the current teams. He probably spent many late nights through the prime years of his life trying to design a plan to limit the WCO and the 49ers. After all those years of battling the 49er dynasty juggernaut, if anyone would have a good strategy, it is probably him and Parcells.
  • dj43
The strength of the 4-3 should be to have two strong DTs getting a quick push up into the QB's face to take away his vision on the quick slant routes that are bread-and-butter stuff in WCO. BB, having spent a lifetime looking at this stuff, should know better than just about anyone in the league how to combat it.

Of course, all this requires the right personnel, and that brings us to the 49ers, who I believe are pretty much stuck in no-mans land right now. They are lacking not only a dominant NT to play 3-4, they also lack the solid pass rushing OLB (all stuff we have thoroughly discussed). In a 4-3, they don't have the requisite pass rushing DEs necessary and although they do have the prototype MLB, the OLBs are question marks.

This will be a good test of how good the coaching staff is at matching player talent and scheme. Either scheme can work but you must have the right personnel. Since they don't have those players as of now, it will be worth watching to see how well they do with what they have.

Originally posted by dj43:
The strength of the 4-3 should be to have two strong DTs getting a quick push up into the QB's face to take away his vision on the quick slant routes that are bread-and-butter stuff in WCO. BB, having spent a lifetime looking at this stuff, should know better than just about anyone in the league how to combat it.

Of course, all this requires the right personnel, and that brings us to the 49ers, who I believe are pretty much stuck in no-mans land right now. They are lacking not only a dominant NT to play 3-4, they also lack the solid pass rushing OLB (all stuff we have thoroughly discussed). In a 4-3, they don't have the requisite pass rushing DEs necessary and although they do have the prototype MLB, the OLBs are question marks.

This will be a good test of how good the coaching staff is at matching player talent and scheme. Either scheme can work but you must have the right personnel. Since they don't have those players as of now, it will be worth watching to see how well they do with what they have.

We have Aldon and Brooks for RDE... we have Justin and RayMac for LDE and can slide him in at times... we have beef with Sopo and RJF as DTs.

All in all, I no longer really care which scheme anymore, though still prefer the 4-3. Far more focused on the offense.

edited in RayMac too.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:18 AM ]
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
The Giants in the 80's went to a 3-4 defense under Parcells and Belichick to combat the WCO.... It's all in how effective a team is with there personnel in getting to the QB and disrupting his rhythm...

THIS. Alternating pressure and coverage w/out being too predictable throws off a QBs rhythm, and makes him hesitate before throwing quick routes that may have underneath coverage. You can do this from a 3-4 or 4-3, 3-4 just allows a little more variation in who applies pressure.
  • dj43
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by dj43:

We have Aldon and Brooks for RDE... we have Justin and RayMac for LDE and can slide him in at times... we have beef with Sopo and RJF as DTs.

All in all, I no longer really care which scheme anymore, though still prefer the 4-3. Far more focused on the offense.

edited in RayMac too.

I think Aldon would be very good at DT where his quickness and arm span can give him a big push. McDonald is also better at DT than DE, IMO. That leaves Justin at one end, and he has that great motor but is not the prototypical pass rusher, and Sopoaga (I guess) at the other end. I don't like that combo much.

4-3 DL need to be quick and agile in addition to strong. We have two, maybe three guys that could play it but lack the other DE.

Brooks is a converted MLB who still hasn't found his niche. I don't like any of our current OLBs in a 4-3.

Just my opinion...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by bigmike55:
F*ck the Pats.

In the bung
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
lets run a 4-4-4

maybe no one will notice
Share 49ersWebzone